Nhi Nguyen vs Brain Tumor

DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited September 3, 2010 in People
Back in 2005 four of us went to Viet Nam. It was a pleasure trip / visit my wife's family. We went to an Uncle's house in Binh Doung Province. There we met Nhi. She was very shy. One of her eyes was turned badly. My brother having a lazy eye when he was little thought that we could find a way to help her.

138420969_aTVT7-M-5.jpg

Then in 2008, my wife and myself went to Viet Nam for a wedding. The wedding took place at this same Uncle's house. We spent a few days at this house and again, Nhi was there and she became my best friend. She would sit beside me and just talk away. Of course she spoke Vietnamese and I only speak English. So, we mainly understood one another through our eyes and laughter. Towards the end of our stay, Nhi and her mom went back to HCMC with us to another Uncle's house and we all went to visit a Doctor and see about getting her eye fixed.

309557700_d6crJ-M-2.jpg

This year we went again to Viet Nam and visited the family in Binh Duong. We met Nhi and she was a bit shy but warmed right up. She and her cousin would run from the camera. But I managed to get her a few times.
We took a walk (a large group of us) to visit a family member. I was walking along and felt a small hand grab mine. I looked down for a second and saw a small hand holding tightly on to mine. My brother turned and asked if I made a new friend.

921464567_bi3Re-M-1.jpg

After we were State side, we got a very disturbing message. Nhi was having balancing problems. It seems this has been going on since April 2010 and the local doctors didn't have a clue to what caused it. But the family took Nhi to Saigon to get her checked out. Nhi was diagnosed with a very large malignant brain tumor. It's been a little more than a month now and still can barely make it through without a tear or two.

The hospitals are nothing like they are here in America. She's had 2 surgeries already. One to relieve the pressure and the other to remove the tumor. The family has visited the Doctor 3 times at home to take him a fruit basket and a money envelope. The Doctors rarely discuss things with the parents and this is one way to find out and to possibly get the best care. She was in a ward for 15 children; however it was over crowded with 40 kids. Sometimes 3 to a bed. After Nhi's 2nd surgery; she was placed in ICU and after a few days there, she placed on a balcony; since all the rooms were full. There were many kids on this balcony. Some one beds and some on blankets on the floor all exposed to the elements.

960394041_bGGbe-L.jpg

This Hospital, Cho Ray, has many International Hospitals that help it out. One is a Japanese Hospital. Some representatives of Japan were paying a visit, and so all children on the balcony had a place inside.

Nhi is scheduled to have chemo on September 8th. About a 2 weeks ago, Cho Ray moved Nhi to a country hospital in Binh Duong called 512 Hospital. Some nurses verified it that she was moved because the Doctors at Cho Ray saw very little hope for Nhi. Nhi has lost her voice and the use of her right side after the operation.

While at 512 Hospital, Nhi started moving her right arm with the help of her left and she wanted to sit up. She, with help, finally sat up and then later that day with help again, took a few steps. SHE WALKED!!!

984436254_AeBrQ-L.jpg

Here it is September 1st and over in Vietnam it's the 2nd and it's a holiday. National Day. And of course, all the doctors are home for the holiday. Very few employees are there so a few days ago, the family decided to take Nhi home. They thought it would help cheer her up to be home.

When we first found out, I set up a blog to keep my friends here in the States updated on Nhi. I have her on several prayer chains along with hundreds of friends praying for her.

If you could take a few minutes out of your schedule and say a prayer for Nhi, it will be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to read more and see other pictures of Nhi; please follow along at: http://www.nhi-nguyen.com or on twitter at: www.twitter.com/DaJaTu

Thank you,
david

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Wow
    I hope she makes it through all this
    Prayers from California
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Wow, a story like this brings tears to the eyes. Prayers are with her.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Nhi is in my thoughts and prayers daily.
  • fmrnykrfmrnykr Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Get well prayers from Oakland CA.
  • DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    @Rayvee61 - Thanks for the prayers. She has come a long way. She seems strong.

@Ridgetop - brought tears to my eyes while typing.

@Mary - thanks! You've been a great help / supporter since day 1 and it's greatly appreciated.

I know Mary's seen it and maybe a few others back in 2008. Here's a video of Nhi with a huge smile/laugh while playing cards with her cousin Bin (pronounced bean).

308160599_NVfM6-M.jpg
  • CdorothyCdorothy Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Thank you for sharing I will put her one our church's prayer chain. We want to see full recovery.
    Chris