Location?

JapersJapers Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited September 2, 2010 in Holy Macro
I guess I'd like to take this first bit to introduce myself.. My name is Japers and I'm a new macro photographer. :D I'm primarily interested in insect macro, maybe it's an "overcome the fear" thing, heh.

One of my shots:
Jumper_II_by_Japers.jpg

Anyhow, as someone who is new to macro photography, I usually shoot what's easily accessible, but I would like to search out more subjects and I'm wondering what types of location (heavily wooded areas, gardens, open fields, etc.) are ideal for certain subjects. For example: Where to find Jumping Spiders, Crab spiders, Hoverflies, Damselflies... Do you have favorite hunting grounds?

Comments

• GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 1, 2010
    welcome to the forum :D

looks like you have been shooting macro for some time, great shot clap.gif

i shoot mainly in marsh/pool areas,dragons,damsels, hoverflys ect near woodland for flys,bees wasps butterflys , local nature reserves can find a good selection of all species.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Welcome to the forum and a lovely jumper shot !

I'm lucky and do nearly all my shooting in my own garden where I can find all the things you mentioned.
    Brian V.
  • JapersJapers Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Thanks guys! You both have excellent Flickr galleries! Very cool stuff!

And thanks for the info on shooting locations! I find most of my Dragonflies in citrus trees (tangerine, grapefruit, etc.), which also seems to be a great spot for Sweat Bees and Cuckoo Bees to sleep at night.

Mayweeds and other wildflowers are often the best place for me to find Hoverflies, Honeybees, Skippers, and other Butterfly/Moths.

For the most part I rarely leave my front or back yard, but I have been to a few reserves, which are great for Spiders (Orb Weavers, Jumpers) and Beetles (Tigers and Ladybirds). A lot of heavily wooded areas, but with plenty of marshes and dry sandy areas as well.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Welcome to DG. I'm also very fond of Macro and currently use a Sigma 105 on my 400D. With the excellent inspiration of numerous photographers here, I tend to find myself crawling around the garden more than I ever would have done :) (Cheers Paul, Brian, Phil.. heh) I should head out to wooded areas too (might try and talk Mr Goldenorf into a day out one day:) )

Cracking entry shot there. Looks like you're one of the lucky owners of an MPE-65 or similar :)