Help me decide ...

herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
edited August 30, 2005 in Cameras
Hi all,

I have a dilemma.

I have a D30 and a 300D. I love both cameras, but I want to sell the D30 and get a 20D - the 5D does not interest me.

Now, I know the layout of the 20D from the D30 and I know it has many enhancements over the 300D.

However, I take beautiful pictures with the D30 - the AF is so-so, but I've taken care of most situations with a ST-E2.

I really need some convincing arguments to upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated, since I'm already on the waiting list for the 24-105L and I would buy everything at once.

Comments

• dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    More frames per second, better sensor, higher usable ISO, 9 af points, etc etc etc.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    More frames per second, better sensor, higher usable ISO, 9 af points, etc etc etc.
    lol sounds good! That about sums it up. I've used the D60, actually, and I can definitely say that the 10D and 20D are just a nice "mmmmmm" in comparison. Overall just more modern features, advances in the whole layout as far as custom settings go; it's just easier to work with and more intuitive. There are some things I still prefer about my D70, but by and large you'll get used to the 20D within a few months and it will be an awesome camera to work with.

If nothing else convinces you, the price should. It boggles the mind to think that 20D's are going used on Ebay for $900-1000, to those who have the patience. Quite simply,the 20D is the best camera on the market right now at it's price. D100's are a little cheaper but a little less in performance, the 5D is expensive, the D200 is not out yet and will be semi-expensive, etc. etc. Get one! If you're really on a budget get the 10D, but the 20D is totally worth every penny, and then some!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    8.2 megapixels over 3.X MP. They say it doesnt matter, but when you increase it that much, you can actually get away with cropping....and to me, pictures lose that sorta low res "digital" look that you used to see with older digicams. ne_nau.gif

You would probably be most impressed with the high ISO ability.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    herion wrote:
    Hi all,

I have a dilemma.

I have a D30 and a 300D. I love both cameras, but I want to sell the D30 and get a 20D - the 5D does not interest me.

Now, I know the layout of the 20D from the D30 and I know it has many enhancements over the 300D.

However, I take beautiful pictures with the D30 - the AF is so-so, but I've taken care of most situations with a ST-E2.

I really need some convincing arguments to upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated, since I'm already on the waiting list for the 24-105L and I would buy everything at once.
    I have a 300D, and while it's capable of taking very good photos, I think it very slow. Slow to turn on, slow to display the histogram, slow burst rate, slow to write to the card. This drives me nuts.

THe 20D also has outstanding high iso performance. Far better than the 300D.

More mega pixles will not harm you.

There are more but these are enough for me.

Sam
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    Okay, okay!!
    Thanks Matt, Chase, Sam, Dragon300zx - I'm doing it. It was really a matter of "I shouldn't" vs. "I can't" make the purchase.

I'm going to look at a used 20D+grip - otherwise, I'm going to pick up a brand new body from Allen's Camera.

Now, I have to sell the D30 - I'll try here and fredmiranda first, then ebay.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    herion wrote:
    Thanks Matt, Chase, Sam, Dragon300zx - I'm doing it. It was really a matter of "I shouldn't" vs. "I can't" make the purchase.

I'm going to look at a used 20D+grip - otherwise, I'm going to pick up a brand new body from Allen's Camera.

Now, I have to sell the D30 - I'll try here and fredmiranda first, then ebay.

I dont' quite get the whole grip thing. Batteries run forever, and why would you want the camera bigger? May be a good reason, but I don't get it...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • herionherion Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I dont' quite get the whole grip thing. Batteries run forever, and why would you want the camera bigger? May be a good reason, but I don't get it...
    It's a package deal - I can resell the grip :):
  • joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I find it gives better balance to the camera when you have a larger lens on, or a flash, it just makes it more comfortable to wear and shoot with...

And I take a fair few portrait photos with it on, its nice to not have the whole 'monkey arm over your head' thing going on.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]