First attempt

reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
edited September 4, 2010 in People
My first try at location shoot senior style portraits.
Any C&C welcome:
971284022_S64nL-L-1.jpg
971285779_aMaJQ-L-2.jpg
971021992_qDKcm-L-2.jpg
970845099_fZLao-L-2.jpg

Thanks in advance
Yo soy Reynaldo

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    The Bad: That black strip on the left of #1 distracts me, and #2 she looks a little forced with the pose

The Good: Your lighting/exposure, #1 has the best expression, #3 and 4 look fairly natural as well

If you wanna be a perfectionist, (if you have photoshop) you could use shadows/highlights to lessen the impact of her shirt just a little bit. It pulls your eyes from hers since her face is a bit darker than her shirt. If you have something else theres plenty of applications that use Curves as well. All quick fixes though.

I'd say #1 and #4 are the best ones... without that black stripe of course :D

You did very nicely. I've seen some bombs for first tries, and even some senior portrait photographers that do it regularly don't really do that great of a job, lol. If you want, try bringing a reflector next time in case the face is darker than the rest of the outfit, although in this situation it'd take just as long in post to dodge as it would to fumble with the reflector. Other situations could work out more effectively though.
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    with a grain of salt....
    I am just starting this myself and admit to not being perfect....

They all seem dark to me... I am assuming that you did not use any flash.....?

#1 has some blur to her hand movement (like she was clapping her knee)

Not sure what your settings were, but if your subject is moving, you should be getting at least 1/160 ss. If you need to increase the shutter speed and keep the exposure good, bump up the ISO's.

I'd be curious to know how you were shooting.... Manual, Aperture, Shutter priority? What f stop and ISO settings were they. Shot #1 must be about 1/60 if I had to guess.

At least she was looking at you, that's a plus. Wonder what these would look like if you bumped the EV by 1 or 1.5.....?

Cheers

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    The Bad: That black strip on the left of #1 distracts me, and #2 she looks a little forced with the pose

The Good: Your lighting/exposure, #1 has the best expression, #3 and 4 look fairly natural as well

If you wanna be a perfectionist, (if you have photoshop) you could use shadows/highlights to lessen the impact of her shirt just a little bit. It pulls your eyes from hers since her face is a bit darker than her shirt. If you have something else theres plenty of applications that use Curves as well. All quick fixes though.

I'd say #1 and #4 are the best ones... without that black stripe of course :D

You did very nicely. I've seen some bombs for first tries, and even some senior portrait photographers that do it regularly don't really do that great of a job, lol. If you want, try bringing a reflector next time in case the face is darker than the rest of the outfit, although in this situation it'd take just as long in post to dodge as it would to fumble with the reflector. Other situations could work out more effectively though.

Thanks for your input.
    I thought about removing the black strip or just adjusting the crop as well on #1
    On #2, I was a bit intrigued by her look as it was also a first meeting and I kept asking questions and offering small talk to break the ice during the shoot. Interestingly enough, I can go back and look at the images and I can see how her body language and expressions loosened up as she became more comfortable with me.

Great suggestions on the shirt as well, there are some cool tools in CNX2 that can fix that without much fussin'.

On the reflector, I'm definitely looking into one that I can mount on a stand since I typically don't use an assistant.

Thanks again
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 1, 2010
    You could use a piece of white poster board taped to a stick or light stand, lol... anything works :D
    edited September 1, 2010
    You could use a piece of white poster board taped to a stick or light stand, lol... anything works :D

Ha yeah, before this shoot on practice runs I've used white poster board with foam center but not a good idea in windy situations.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 1, 2010
    Wiren wrote: »
    I am just starting this myself and admit to not being perfect....

They all seem dark to me... I am assuming that you did not use any flash.....?

#1 has some blur to her hand movement (like she was clapping her knee)

Not sure what your settings were, but if your subject is moving, you should be getting at least 1/160 ss. If you need to increase the shutter speed and keep the exposure good, bump up the ISO's.

I'd be curious to know how you were shooting.... Manual, Aperture, Shutter priority? What f stop and ISO settings were they. Shot #1 must be about 1/60 if I had to guess.

At least she was looking at you, that's a plus. Wonder what these would look like if you bumped the EV by 1 or 1.5.....?

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee
    I often wonder if my portraits appear dark as I always shoot in manual mode without the use of a light meter. I use a calibrated display to process RAW into jpegs or tiffs for print and typically they appear lighter on most laptop displays as well as some desktop displays.
    In print they look fine on my home printer.
    On #1 I was a bit concerned with her hand motion as this was a "between the shoot shot" but I like her expression enough to use this, perhaps in cropping the black area on camera left I should also consider an entirely different crop overall.
    The first two were shot at ISO200, f/5.6, 1/100 with my 85MM 1.4 and D700
    The last two at ISO200, f/5, 1/160
    Thanks for your input
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 2, 2010
    A rework of number 1 taking some tips from the C&C

991734824_LLdFr-L.jpg

And with that I'm refining a few of what I feel are the better from the shoot :)

991740031_Grr2S-L.jpg
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 2, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    A rework of number 1 taking some tips from the C&C

991734824_LLdFr-L.jpg

And with that I'm refining a few of what I feel are the better from the shoot :)

991740031_Grr2S-L.jpg

Love #2 :D and #1 is much better
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Nicely done!
    Given the nice color in the latter part of the series, I think your color balance is too blue in these first couple.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited September 2, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Nicely done!
    Given the nice color in the latter part of the series, I think your color balance is too blue in these first couple.

I am so struggling with that as this young lady had very little sun exposure.
    Should I record what "is" or should I give her a little skin color?

Truthfully, I find the skin tones appealing on the last two compared to the first two.
    Thanks for reinforcing that thought :)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Unless she revels in her pale skin, I think most would want a little color. I think even if she is pale, she's not a pale as this seems. Shooting a grey card will definitely help in getting the color right since you have fixed starting point. You can adjust to taste to warm or cool, but at least you know the color of your light. Have her hold it over her face before you shoot.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited September 2, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Unless she revels in her pale skin, I think most would want a little color. I think even if she is pale, she's not a pale as this seems. Shooting a grey card will definitely help in getting the color right since you have fixed starting point. You can adjust to taste to warm or cool, but at least you know the color of your light. Have her hold it over her face before you shoot.
    I do agree with you on that point :-)
    I will definitely try that on my next shoot this weekend, thanks
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 3, 2010
    Lightroom or Photoshop Raw make these things fixable in 2 seconds... you should try out lightroom
    edited September 3, 2010
    Lightroom or Photoshop Raw make these things fixable in 2 seconds... you should try out lightroom

Ya know, I tried the trial version (Lightroom) and simply could not adapt to the workflow compared to CNX2.
    Maybe I'll give it another go but I was not really impressed with the presets.

I did purchase CS5 (for my daughter) and like CS4 I'm not liking how it handles .nef files compared to Nikon's software.

Of course I have much to learn.:D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Hope you don't mind but I gave it a try. I wormed it up by by removing cyan adding green and adding yellow and then a little contrast
    what do you think?
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
    edited September 3, 2010
    blaser321 wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind but I gave it a try. I wormed it up by by removing cyan adding green and adding yellow and then a little contrast
    what do you think?

I think it's absolutely beautiful, I must learn!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 3, 2010
    A selection layer on her and "remove color cast" via CNX2 with the Color Efex Pro 2 plugin:

992822954_xvLzV-L.jpg
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 3, 2010
    Much better again I agree... careful with the highlight balance bumping up contrast
    edited September 3, 2010
    Much better again I agree... careful with the highlight balance bumping up contrast

Thanks so much
    So far I've learned about proper crops and composition.
    I've also fortified my thoughts on skin tones as well.
    I do appreciate the feedback much :)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • BreNixonBreNixon Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Really love #3. So vibrant.
    edited September 4, 2010
    BreNixon wrote: »
    Really love #3. So vibrant.
    Thanks so much :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo