Moving In [Freshmen move-in day at William & Mary]

IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited September 2, 2010 in People
Hi everybody. The last time I posted photos on here, I was in Columbia, MO. For the past few months, I worked for the Office of Creative Services at the College of William & Mary. A few weeks ago, the new freshmen students moved into their dorms. I was assigned to shoot photos to accompany a news story.

I'm guessing a fair number of you have gone through the ritual of helping your kids move into to their college dorms. Feel free to share your memories, or any thoughts about the photos.

976411731_bfCgG-L-1.jpg
Students and family members carry belongings up stairs in Barrett Hall.

976411311_TvJsb-L-1.jpg
Orientation aides (l-r) Monica LoBue, Lauren Lamp, Kaveh Sadeghian, and Lily Rubino perform a step dance in the lobby of Barrett Hall to welcome new students on freshmen move-in day on August 20, 2010.

976411853_ewYhQ-L-1.jpg
While many students had already spoken to their roommates through social media networks, freshmen move-in day is still the first time many of them and their families meet each other. Raquel Phillips '14 (center) listens as her mother Dahlia Phillips (left) speaks with her roommate's mother, Fatima Stillwell, in Dupont Hall.

976411749_6ZraN-L-1.jpg
In his sister Nicki's room in Barrett Hall, Sam Purcell assembles a fan during freshmen move-in day on August 20, 2010. Barrett and Monroe Halls on Old Campus do not have air conditioning, so many students brought fans. Moving in is usually a family affair as well.

976411817_EWBCQ-L-1.jpg
A William & Mary police officer directs traffic in front of Dupont Hall.

976411867_TShBg-L-1.jpg
Belts waiting for Rose Stillwell '14 to hang them in Dupont Hall.

976411974_6ZATY-L-1.jpg
Christian Delgato '14 (left) jumps on his bed after he and his mother, Iliana Delgato (right), finished making it, in Dupont Hall. Many students bring foam toppers to add extra support.

976411959_NkUTr-L-2.jpg
Move-in crew members take a moment to rest outside of Dupont Hall. Their motto: "Sweating for you."
Irene Rojas
BlogWebsite

Comments

• happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2010
    Very interesting! I clicked because the college itself interests me after visiting it when I was in Williamsburg on vacation. It's interesting to see such a common, modern event and know it's in such a historical place.
  • misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Ohh boy.. I've been through this 2x with my girls!

Nice shots!