My Quest for Candid portrait continues

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited September 4, 2010 in People
Hi all again.
So I have 3 days until my first official shoot with a 2 year old.
I have been taking candid portraits left and right for a week for practice.

The shoot will be candid portraits of the little boy and maybe his mom at the park.

C&C is appreciated.

990972867_JrWDa-XL.jpg

992007319_Refoi-XL.jpg

990959229_H59EU-XL.jpg

990182846_hvqXp-XL-1.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Nice shots, Liz. I know its a knee-killer, but stay down low for the kids. The last two are my favorites of the set. Glad you caught #2 before there was a bunch of cookie mush in the mouth...:D

Congrats on the gig, and have fun!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    I know the struggles of candid photography well :)

I love # 3 & 4
    Great work on those
    #1, I find the blown area distracting to the left of her.
    #2, just a bit soft and to close a cop for my taste thought the cookie looks enticing.
    Best of luck with the shoot.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    hi liz, long time!!!:D

I really like #1 & 2, like the pov of both, and *even* the colour of #1mwink.gif

#2 gave me a flashback to heat, beach, sweet sodapop so cold the bubbles hurt, washing down the biscuits, and the mysteriousness that something so complete in satisfaction as a summer Sunday could roll on and away, without so much as a look back, just like that...!!

You've given the boy something of a glamour treatment, which could be a little controversial

I'd encourage you to keep pushing into something your own with these portraits, even in the upcoming shoot. I think if you keep the attitiude that the shoot is a chance to push the envelope of kids candids you will come out with something really nice

best

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    I like them all. You are going to do a great job. Just do what you do best. Capture the moment your way!!

Virginia

Email
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Nice shots, Liz. I know its a knee-killer, but stay down low for the kids. The last two are my favorites of the set. Glad you caught #2 before there was a bunch of cookie mush in the mouth...:D

Congrats on the gig, and have fun!

Hi Andrew,
    I'm glad you like the last two. Funny you mention the mush--I actually cloned out some grossness on the tongue before posting. I liked the light so much in that shot I really wanted it to work.

As for #1--I usually live on the floor, either on my belly or knees to get shots, but I so liked the way this angle looked and I wanted to get the top of her lashes.

Thanks Andrew for commenting.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited September 4, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    I know the struggles of candid photography well :)

I love # 3 & 4
    Great work on those
    #1, I find the blown area distracting to the left of her.
    #2, just a bit soft and to close a cop for my taste thought the cookie looks enticing.
    Best of luck with the shoot.

Hi there,
    I wanted to clone out more of the tongue, but it looked weird. I was tempted to ask him to drink some water first, but then he would pose for me and I didn't want that. I almost had that one:) The cookies did not last long.

Thanks for the luck--24 horus from now it should be over. I will post the results.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited September 4, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    hi liz, long time!!!:D

I really like #1 & 2, like the pov of both, and *even* the colour of #1mwink.gif

#2 gave me a flashback to heat, beach, sweet sodapop so cold the bubbles hurt, washing down the biscuits, and the mysteriousness that something so complete in satisfaction as a summer Sunday could roll on and away, without so much as a look back, just like that...!!

You've given the boy something of a glamour treatment, which could be a little controversial

I'd encourage you to keep pushing into something your own with these portraits, even in the upcoming shoot. I think if you keep the attitiude that the shoot is a chance to push the envelope of kids candids you will come out with something really nice

best

Neil

Hi Neil,
    Glad you like the processing in #1-- I know it's kind of out there and kind of stark, but I liked it, and so went with it.

Not sure what you meant by "giving the boy something of a glamour treatment" and it bein controversial. Did you mean shot 2, the cookie shot? The only thing I did on that one was clone out some of the cookie on this tongue, everything else is SOOC. That light was around 6:00 ish and the sun was casting a beautiful light.

As ofr #3,that's my cousin's husband and they loved the shot which made me happy--they said it made him look cool, lol.

Thanks as always for your detailed reply. I hope you explain about the glamour treatment.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited September 4, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    I like them all. You are going to do a great job. Just do what you do best. Capture the moment your way!!

Virginia

Thanks Virginia iloveyou.gif--Candid portraits here I come. I'm crossing my fingers.
    Thanks for the support and belief.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Report back, please! :lurk
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Hi Neil,
    Glad you like the processing in #1-- I know it's kind of out there and kind of stark, but I liked it, and so went with it.

Not sure what you meant by "giving the boy something of a glamour treatment" and it bein controversial. Did you mean shot 2, the cookie shot? The only thing I did on that one was clone out some of the cookie on this tongue, everything else is SOOC. That light was around 6:00 ish and the sun was casting a beautiful light.

As ofr #3,that's my cousin's husband and they loved the shot which made me happy--they said it made him look cool, lol.

Thanks as always for your detailed reply. I hope you explain about the glamour treatment.

Re "glamour treatment" - no mystery: the lack of visible clothing, the intimate closeup of open mouth consuming something, the softness, smoothness, glow and dewiness of the skin as in "after the bath/swim" - these are all stock-in-trade glamour. Except for the actual subject.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix