Nikon D90 vs. Nikon D300 and D300s

kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited September 9, 2010 in Cameras
I know I have seen thread on which one is better but I still don't know, :scratch so I want your advice. I am currently using the Nikon D200 and have the SB 800 as flashes. I want to get another camera to so I can have a backup. My husband has taken over the use of my current backup. I mainly do weddings and overall people shots. I want a camera with good noise level at a high ISO. Between my new one and the D200 I currently have, I don't think I will be purchasing another one for a few years. I am only part time you know. If I win the lottery, that will be a different story. :lynnma So, let me hear your pros, cons and advice! Thanks! If they are close, would it be ok to go with the less expensive one? Thanks again!

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    kyeezie wrote: »
    I know I have seen thread on which one is better but I still don't know, headscratch.gif so I want your advice. I am currently using the Nikon D200 and have the SB 800 as flashes. I want to get another camera to so I can have a backup. My husband has taken over the use of my current backup. I mainly do weddings and overall people shots. I want a camera with good noise level at a high ISO. Between my new one and the D200 I currently have, I don't think I will be purchasing another one for a few years. I am only part time you know. If I win the lottery, that will be a different story. cheerleader.gif So, let me hear your pros, cons and advice! Thanks! If they are close, would it be ok to go with the less expensive one? Thanks again!

So...no lottery huh? me neither, though it would help if I remembered I have to BUY a ticket to place.

1. Always buy the latest/newest body you can afford as long as it gets the job done (need).

2. I still say if it weren't for needing high ISO, I'd still be shooting the D200.

3. Which is better? depends on your vantage point. Better how? Weather Sealing D300S, D300, D90 best to worst in order.

4. I've had the D90 and D300, and prefer the D90...it's just feel. Also, My girlfriend does too, and I bought the D90 for her, She likes the weight (or lack there-of).

5. I helped a published Photog this past weekend, and he uses a D90 exclusively.

6. The lenses you attach make a difference. Especially when High ISO is combined with them.

7. ISO is limited on cameras, as you know. One thing that you ought to see, read and hear is about printing a photo before judging how poor the noise profile is. I did that and was totally surprised how much noise one can get away with in print.

8. I haven't seen any great advantage/disadvantage D300/D90 in the noise realm at high ISO. I allowed mine to go high in a wedding recently, but told the shooter to turn it off when it got to 3200.

Someone will chime in about the D300S.
    tom wise
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    I have a D90 and a D300. I much prefer the D300, as angevin1 said, it's a feel thing. I just prefer the feel of the larger camera. The controls fit my hands better on the D300. Ergonomically, the D300 and D300s are very similar, just a couple minor button changes. I believe that it's always better to have more, rather than fewer controls on the body, and the D300/s wins that fight vs. the D90. The D300 is also very similar to your D200, so it might feel more comfortable in your hand than a D90. Mechanically/structurally, the D300/s is a more robust body, magnesium body rather than plastic, better weather sealing, etc. So if you're planning on keeping it a long time and using it in potentially abusive circumstances, I'd say the D300/s would be a better choice. Not that the D90 is ergonomically bad or a weakling, it's just a step lower on the ladder than the D300, IMO. Before I got my D300, I LOVED the D90. Now when I pick it up, it just doesn't feel ... right. It's still fine, as I said, it's just a feel thing and I happen to prefer the larger body.

The sensor is the same, or if not exactly the same (I've seen some reports saying they're not actually the same part), they're extremely close. The D300/s has 14-bit RAW vs. 12, but the difference in that is probably VERY hard to notice when you get to the final print. You should certainly be able to get very good results out of any of those bodies.

As for D300 or D300s, IMO the only reason to pass on the offer if you happen to find a good deal on a used D300 is if you really want video or if the slightly different button layout appeals to you (dedicated Live View and Info buttons, IIRC, and the OK button is moved to the middle of the directional pad). If you're just shooting stills, I'd say look for a deal on a D300 and you should be totally fine.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • cmadnesscmadness Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    You may want to wait a few weeks and see if the rumored D90 replacement comes along. The new entry level D3100 was just announced and the high ISO ability looks impressive. I am holding my breath for this replacement, rumored to be the D7000, as I too am looking for a new body. It may be everything you're looking for.
  • kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    angevin1 I have to admit, I don't buy lottery tickets either, but I always say I should.rolleyes1.gifThanks guys, I am going to see what mid September brings or do the D300s. I do love my 200 but am ready for a small upgrade. Hopefully this new camera come out and it is everything I want. My birthday is on the 30th so I might know what to ask for.:bday to me!!!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    I am wondering about a second body also--currently shooting with a D80. I don't want video so I am considering the D300/300s. I am interested in any tips or info folks would like to pass along.

Thanks,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    I am a big fan of the D300 mine is approaching 102000 actuations. I did have a failure in the beginning 2 months after I bought it. Since repair at Nikon it has not missed a beat.
    Auto Focus is fantastic especially with AF-S lenses.
    I love the build and feel of the D300 over the D90. I have big hands.
    Mine has been dropped a few times without permanent damage. I am looking forward to what they might be replacing the D300/300s with but still waiting on that announcement.
    Good luck with your decision
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • BrooklyndesertBrooklyndesert Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    D90 vs D300
    I have a D90 and have gotten great shots with it. Have also used D200s and D300s for action sports and portraits. It was a little awkward using the lightweight D90 with a big 300 mm zoom lens. But overall my D90 got crisper shots than the D200s and equally good shots in comparison with the D300. The D90 doesn't have a side shutter release so if you turn the camera to get a vertical shot it's also a tad awkward. That said I'd prefer my D90 for a day of outdoor action photography. Less overall weight so less stress for a full day of shooting. -- Peter
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I had a D90 now have a 300s. As far as I know the 300s has the D90 processor in it. So it is an update from the d300. So the ISO capabilities are the same between the D90 and 300s.

I like the 300s body compared to the D90. I am always in crappy conditions with dust and moisture. I feel better about the weather sealing on the 300s. I also like the feel of it and the balance of it with the lenses I have.

The autofocus on the 300s is by far faster, more accurate and in the end sharper than on the D90. But this is only for sports and things moving fast. If you don't do that sort of thing, there won't be a big difference in IQ.

The 51 points on the 300s is really nice to have. Especially shooting fast lenses wide open. It is a lot easier to compose a shot and get the point you want in focus. I always felt restricted with the D90 11 points.

That said, they are both really nice. And both take great pictures.
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    As far as I know the 300s has the D90 processor in it.

I believe the D90 has the processor (EXPEED) that was introduced in the D300 and D3. The D90 (and then D300s) added video, but the image processor is the same, AFAIK. The D3100 is the first camera to have the new processor called EXPEED 2. I expect the forthcoming D90, D300s, and D3s replacements will all add EXPEED 2 as well.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project