Inexpensive upgrades from my D40x

jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited September 12, 2010 in Cameras
Here's the deal. I have a D40x which I love. It has been an excellent camera. I also have a decent collection of lenses for someone on a budget and doing this mostly as a hobby. Here's what I think I want out of an upgrade.

* Focus motor ( I have a 50mm f/1.8 and manual focusing sucks)
* Bigger viewfinder
* More autofocus points, the 3 point system on the d40x is really limiting
* Bracketed shooting (I want to be able to shoot HDRs when needed)
* More dedicated buttons ( I really don't like digging through menus)

So, knowing this, and knowing I'm on a very restricted budget, what body would you recommend.

I was thinking of the following.

Used D80
Used D200
New D90 (perhaps it'll drop in price once the new D7000 comes out?)

I like the idea of the D200 because of the extra buttons and more professional body, but I worry about the age of the camera and the sensor quality being not even as good as my D40x.

Just to let you know, I'd love to spend somewhere in the ballpark of $400-600. Also, I'm torn on selling the D40x. Should I let it go and upgrade to a better body, or hang on to it as a second body because I wouldn't get much out of it anyway? Also, it's my first camera, I might have a sentimental attachment. :cry
J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey

Comments

• cmadnesscmadness Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    My thoughts are, keep the d40x because you're used to using it and judging by your site you know your way around it pretty well. It will make a great backup or vacationing camera you won't have to worry about.

I too have a d40 and am watching the d7000 closely. If I don't end up buying it, I will be watching to see if it drives down the d300 pricing. I'd love to have the extra controls and the awesome LCD screen, which alone would make me pick it over the d200.

Good luck deciding.
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    cmadness wrote: »
    My thoughts are, keep the d40x because you're used to using it and judging by your site you know your way around it pretty well. It will make a great backup or vacationing camera you won't have to worry about.

I too have a d40 and am watching the d7000 closely. If I don't end up buying it, I will be watching to see if it drives down the d300 pricing. I'd love to have the extra controls and the awesome LCD screen, which alone would make me pick it over the d200.

Good luck deciding.

I hadn't even considered the D300. I wonder if it would get down to around $600 after the D7000 comes out.

Edit: After looking around, I find it hard to believe the D300 will be affordable anytime soon for me.. They are $1200 used right now.
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    Why not a used D90? I've seen some nice deals on them (just have to search) as many people buy it and then realize they're not using it.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    Why not a used D90? I've seen some nice deals on them (just have to search) as many people buy it and then realize they're not using it.

I got a refurb D90 from B&H just several Months ago for $699.00 Deal.

I LOVED the D200 though and as I have said many times before, would still be shooting it if not for needing higher ISO.

That D90 is sweet~
    tom wise
  • jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2010
    So, does anyone know how the D200 and D90 compare to the D40x in terms of noise? I find that the D40x has acceptable noise levels at ISO1600, and I usually can get rid of what noise it has using Lightroom 3's noise filters.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    So, does anyone know how the D200 and D90 compare to the D40x in terms of noise? I find that the D40x has acceptable noise levels at ISO1600, and I usually can get rid of what noise it has using Lightroom 3's noise filters.

Don't know about the D200 but the D90 is more than fine at 1600. Can go higher if needed without problems.
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010

D200 is similar to D40x in terms of noise. I did the D60 to used D200 upgrade a few months ago and have been happy. I haven't done any hi-ISO comparisons, but the sensors are pretty similar overall. With some of the used prices right now (I got a BGN condition from KEH for $500, it has been well used with some signs of wear, particularly the rubber grips but works well), I'd say the D200 is a great value.

I've never used a D80, but would tend to stay away from that. The D200 price is close right now, and the D80 is said to have a less accurate meter than other modern Nikons.

I don't think I have any high ISO D200 hpotos on the web right now, but I'll see what I can do this weekend.
  • www.SGphoto.uswww.SGphoto.us Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    don't waste your time on the d80, its price is so close to the d90, you might as well get the d90, everything is better. the d200 is very nice, but the d90 crushes it imo.
    My Website:www.SGphoto.us
  • CKjeepCKjeep Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    I went from D40 to a D90 and could't be happier. it was just what i needed to advance my photography
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited September 12, 2010
    I'd forget the D200. Go for the D90 or D300S.
    I went from the D40X to the D200 and now a D300S. The noise on the D200 at iso 400 and up is much worse than the D40X. I wasn't happy with the D200 at all.