New Forum Suggestion

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited September 11, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Andy,

As I look through this forum, I see 3 posts on just the first page about photographing dogs. Any way we can get a "Pets" forum for sharing our expertise on pet portraits? All of us who might want to call ourselves "Petographers"?
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 2, 2010
    Nope. no plans to add a pet forum.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    Nope. no plans to add a pet forum.

Why not? I mean how hard could it be? I bet that it would be quite active. And fun, too!

Just my nickel's worth.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Why not? I mean how hard could it be? I bet that it would be quite active. And fun, too!

Just my nickel's worth.
    It's not hard but it complicates the forum structure and spreads things way out. We do keep monitoring things though!
  • fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Where would the most appropriate place be to post Pet photography topics, would that be in "Other" section for now?
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
    edited September 6, 2010
    Other works.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I'd also vote to kick all the animals out of other cool shots, but I can see how things would get tougher. Can't complain too much, but maybe since they are almost people you could post your dogs in the people forum, or Street and PJ since often dogs are on the street. :)
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    fredjclaus wrote: »
    Where would the most appropriate place be to post Pet photography topics, would that be in "Other" section for now?

Clearly in Wildlife. "Birds, Mammals, Reptiles." mwink.gif

Malte
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I'd also vote to kick all the animals out of other cool shots, but I can see how things would get tougher. Can't complain too much, but maybe since they are almost people you could post your dogs in the people forum, or Street and PJ since often dogs are on the street. :)
    Pets and animals don't go in People. The Other Cool Section as stated above is the right place for now thumb.gif
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    ivar wrote: »
    Pets and animals don't go in People. The Other Cool Section as stated above is the right place for now thumb.gif

"for now" ? Does that mean that there's a Pet section pending? I mean, c'mon, it does seem like a legitimate section.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
    edited September 9, 2010
    "for now" ? Does that mean that there's a Pet section pending? I mean, c'mon, it does seem like a legitimate section.

No pet section pending. At least not right now lol3.gif
    edited September 9, 2010
    How about tomorrow?

j/k
  • Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I realize you may not want to add another forum. But I would like to suggest a sub fourm at least in wildlife, for bird shots. There are a lot of birds photos, and the other animal shots seem to get lost in the mix. Or changing wildlife to just animals then people could feel free to post domestic animals there with wild animals. Leaving other cool shots open for things that just don't fall into a catagory.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    I'm a big supporter of a pets forum or subforum. I've seen other suggestions met with "not now" or "no changes will be made now" or "complicates things too much." I don't understand the rationale, but maybe I'm not supposed to. If it takes more of us to help monitor a new forum, then I would volunteer to help and am sure others would do. I for one would like to have a dedicated place to post, browse, read, and connect with pet photographers.

Andy, if there is something the community would/could help with, does that make it any easier/less complicated/more likely?

Thanks,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    We are reluctant to add to the forum clutter and feel there is a place for pet pictures, Other Cool Shots. There are a variety of other requests for different forums and the struggle really is one of cluttering things more than it is anything else.

We do listen to requests and very much appreciate your taking the time to post.

redleash wrote: »
    I'm a big supporter of a pets forum or subforum. I've seen other suggestions met with "not now" or "no changes will be made now" or "complicates things too much." I don't understand the rationale, but maybe I'm not supposed to. If it takes more of us to help monitor a new forum, then I would volunteer to help and am sure others would do. I for one would like to have a dedicated place to post, browse, read, and connect with pet photographers.

Andy, if there is something the community would/could help with, does that make it any easier/less complicated/more likely?

Thanks,
    Lauren
  • red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    in other news
    1001690949_isT2Z-Th.jpg

a subforum like Go Figure in People or Assignments in Technique? I'd spend a lot of time there. Of course, I spend a lot of time here, too.
    Maybe a pet's subforum in Cool Shots. Sorta like the booby subforum in people forums. We could have a password and everthing.

:)
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    thanks for the info, Ian.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Oops....I just put a thread of photos of my dogs in Cool Shots yesterday :cry

There are a lot of dog/cat lovers in photography. While most aren't making a career out of taking pet photos we are looking for input and ways to improve our shots of the pets we love.

Making it it's own forum would be a wonderful idea, but I can understand not doing it too and that Cool shots is the place to post them.

**I'm with redleash...if you need a monitor for it...I'd be willing to help out.

For now....I'll stand down on my dog postings. I'm confused....are dog photos really not allowed or wanted or are they?
    Post your pet pictures in Other Cool Shots. There is nothing wrong with posting your dog pictures.

Dogdots wrote: »
    Oops....I just put a thread of photos of my dogs in Cool Shots yesterday :cry

There are a lot of dog/cat lovers in photography. While most aren't making a career out of taking pet photos we are looking for input and ways to improve our shots of the pets we love.

Making it it's own forum would be a wonderful idea, but I can understand not doing it too and that Cool shots is the place to post them.

**I'm with redleash...if you need a monitor for it...I'd be willing to help out.

For now....I'll stand down on my dog postings. I'm confused....are dog photos really not allowed or wanted or are they?
    Post your pet pictures in Other Cool Shots. There is nothing wrong with posting your dog pictures.

I'm really wondering if they are even wanted from a "viewing" point.
    I'm really wondering if they are even wanted from a "viewing" point.

I look at them and think they're pretty cool.

Sure, they're not for everyone but then again, not everyone looks at Landscapes or Sports either.
    I look at them and think they're pretty cool.

Sure, they're not for everyone but then again, not everyone looks at Landscapes or Sports either.

Ok....

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    I'm confused....are dog photos really not allowed or wanted or are they?

Mary,
    Dogs, cats, and yes Harry, even squirrels are all welcome here. deal.gif
  • DragonladyDragonlady Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    I do pet photography on the side as a hobby and I am very interested in other photographer's images and techniques. I too would like a sub-forum somewhere on the forums. Somehow "Other Cool Shots" doesn't seem to the most appropriate place.headscratch.gif
    Deb
    Hi Deb (and everyone else interested in Pet photography) wave.gif

We do consider each and every request and we're glad you're all interested in pets. However, at this time, we do not have plans to create a separate Pet forum. The simple reason is one of our goals is to not create clutter in the forum.

Thanks again for all the input thumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    Richard wrote: »
    Mary,
    Dogs, cats, and yes Harry, even squirrels are all welcome here. deal.gif

You put Harry in the same category as dogs, cats and squirrels? eek7.gif
    kdog wrote: »

To much clutter otherwise.
    edited September 11, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    lol3.gif
    edited September 11, 2010
    Dragonlady wrote: »
    I do pet photography on the side as a hobby and I am very interested in other photographer's images and techniques. I too would like a sub-forum somewhere on the forums. Somehow "Other Cool Shots" doesn't seem to the most appropriate place.headscratch.gif

Hi Deb,

People have many different interests in photography. If we were to have a separate forum for each of them, Dgrin's home page would start to look like the Yellow Pages and would become difficult to navigate. So we have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages each time we add a new forum.

OCS was created to encompass all those categories that have some interest but not enough activity to warrant a separate forum. Pets, cars, IR, rust, abstracts, composites, flowers, airplanes, funny signs--we have great examples of each of these and more. You can get feedback on just about anything in OCS, which is what makes it such an interesting place. deal.gif