Chasing the Dark - Pt. II - Southwest

dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited September 5, 2010 in Landscapes
The pursuit of darkness continued into the Southwest, starting off with Cali. By this time, the moon started turning full, foiling my ambitions for clear and bright startrails and Milky Way shots. But full moonlit pictures also meant a more surreal lighting on foreground subjects without the need for light painting, and made for some incredible blue skies.

1. Mono Lake at Dusk
990932512_a9iet-L.jpg

2. Moon and Tufas
990933298_3RUnv-L.jpg

990934544_H7M5s-L.jpg

992677188_B5js8-L.jpg

5. Fun with light painting
990934617_ZEaHC-L.jpg

Comments

• dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    After a brief respite at Tahoe (and first night in a hotel ... woo hoo!), I journeyed to Utah after.

6. Deadhorse State Park
    990935334_z5poR-L-1.jpg

7. Mesa Arch, Canyonlands
    990936048_xd2Wa-L-1.jpg

8. Obligatory Sunrise shot through Mesa Arch
    990937273_6rs9A-L-1.jpg

9. Delicate Arch and muted Milky Way (I need to do this shot with less moonlight... next time...)
    990939107_4XfNJ-L-1.jpg

10. Delicate Arch
    990939565_APr95-L-1.jpg

11. Double Arch
    992679743_CX5rQ-L.jpg

Ambition is to return with less of a full moon and catch the Milky Way and do some startrails with Delicate Arch
  • kevincaophotographykevincaophotography Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    These are breath-taking photos! These photos look like they were taking in the middle of the day. Brilliant work!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    I actually love the amount of moon you have in the first delicate arch shot. These are most excellent!
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Awesome series!! I really want to shoot Arches at night, I might head that way this winter some time.
    dls wrote: »
    Ambition is to return with less of a full moon and catch the Milky Way and do some startrails with Delicate Arch

Just give me a few days notice :D
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Amazingly beautiful! Blown away!
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Nice work.

I'll be there in a couple weeks, new moon.. so NO moonlight the 2 weeks I'll be there. Guess I'll be playing with light painting the arches.... vs using moonlight, however, the milky way has me very excited to be there..
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Great work!
    I'm partial to 3 and 4 but the arches came out really nice.
    E
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Great set. I love #1 at Mono Lake and #4 or the arches at night.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Amazing captures. I'm just going to go throw my camera equipment away now. What's the point anymore. bowdown.gif
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Those are awesome, Dan!

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
    edited September 3, 2010
    These are breath-taking photos! These photos look like they were taking in the middle of the day. Brilliant work!

Thanks! The moonlight helps out quite a bit, and I love the soft light it imparts.
    schmoo wrote: »
    I actually love the amount of moon you have in the first delicate arch shot. These are most excellent!

Thanks. I was lucky with the side lighting from the moon. When I first envisioned the trip, I was hoping for popping stars and milky way. But this is a great excuse to go down again.
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    Awesome series!! I really want to shoot Arches at night, I might head that way this winter some time.

Will do, man. Arches is definitely one place that have many possibilities at night (during the day too, but to clone out the throngs of tourists and school groups would be maddening!)
    Nice work.

I'll be there in a couple weeks, new moon.. so NO moonlight the 2 weeks I'll be there. Guess I'll be playing with light painting the arches.... vs using moonlight, however, the milky way has me very excited to be there..

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Arches seem to be an ideal place for light painting (if you have a strong enough flashlight...). If shooting Delicate at the night, make certain you are familiar with the terrain and the slope of the bowl (there is a drop off), and pay attention to the trail back if not planning on spending the night up there (the trail marking cairns can be tricky to spot in the dark).
    bgarland wrote: »
    Amazing captures. I'm just going to go throw my camera equipment away now. What's the point anymore. bowdown.gif

Thanks, but ack! Just keep shooting. I usually operate by the following adage (which applies not only to photography, but to many other things in life, such as ... dating?): "quantity = quality." Of course that means I have a backlog of 200k shots to sort through and process, most of which is crap, but among them should be some quality nuggets! but if you are going to throw away your gear... what type is it and can i have it?? lol3.gif
    thapamd wrote: »
    Amazingly beautiful! Blown away!
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Great work!
    I'm partial to 3 and 4 but the arches came out really nice.
    E
    hawkeye978 wrote: »
    Great set. I love #1 at Mono Lake and #4 or the arches at night.
    Those are awesome, Dan!

Kristine

Thanks a bunch for the comments and the encouragement!
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    dls wrote: »
    Thanks, but ack! Just keep shooting. I usually operate by the following adage (which applies not only to photography, but to many other things in life, such as ... dating?): "quantity = quality." Of course that means I have a backlog of 200k shots to sort through and process, most of which is crap, but among them should be some quality nuggets! but if you are going to throw away your gear... what type is it and can i have it?? lol3.gif

Here ya be... What's your ship to address?

20090325007.jpg

Plus a few more additions since the photo was taken.

Just kidding of course. I have only been getting into this hobby for about 3 years now so when I see some the outstanding work like yours it drives home the point about how far I still need to grow. :D

I agree with you the only way to grow is to get out and shoot until my shutter wears out. I guess I'll keep my equipment and go do that. mwink.gif

Thanks for the beautiful motivating images.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    really like #6 and #9... outstanding! was the light source for these just natural moonlight?
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    coscorrosa wrote: »

Beautiful series clap.gif

I'd love to join you guys if my schedule permits. I didn't shoot any night shots at Arches last time I was there.
    edited September 5, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Here ya be... What's your ship to address?

20090325007.jpg

Plus a few more additions since the photo was taken.

Just kidding of course. I have only been getting into this hobby for about 3 years now so when I see some the outstanding work like yours it drives home the point about how far I still need to grow. :D

I agree with you the only way to grow is to get out and shoot until my shutter wears out. I guess I'll keep my equipment and go do that. mwink.gif

Thanks for the beautiful motivating images.

dang! and you have such a nice set up too...! lol3.gifmwink.gif
    in regards to growth, i definitely relate. i am constantly humbled and inspired by better folks than myself. am finding that posting my stuff up in the forums forces me to improve my skills and find my own vision.

squirl033 wrote: »
    really like #6 and #9... outstanding! was the light source for these just natural moonlight?

yep... it was just moonlight. no lightpainting in either.

dlplumer wrote: »
    Beautiful series clap.gif

I'd love to join you guys if my schedule permits. I didn't shoot any night shots at Arches last time I was there.

Definitely. Dunno when I will be going back, but still have a few more shots in mind that I want to capture in Arches.