Everard - as proletarian

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited September 3, 2010 in People
997454625_wADHG-X2.jpg

Think I've broken a rule or two here, with the hands, maybe. Can I get away with it, do you think? I need some c&c here.

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    You might want to burn down the light on the CL hand so it is closer to the intensity of the front hand, but otherwise, I think you have a very nice portrait here! You also have a little bit of a fold in the backdrop visible (just barely) in the CL side of the image. Don't know if you wanted that there, or not.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    You might want to burn down the light on the CL hand so it is closer to the intensity of the front hand, but otherwise, I think you have a very nice portrait here! You also have a little bit of a fold in the backdrop visible (just barely) in the CL side of the image. Don't know if you wanted that there, or not.

Hi, Andrew! Very nice to meet up with you again!

Thanks very much for your suggestions. I was editing some things I saw when it came up on Dgrin as you were writing. I smoothed the bg. The cl hand you mentioned I am in two minds about. It could fit with the lighting of the face on that side. Also, the higher tone seems to help balance its smaller size against the other, and the one complete finger is important enough to warrant a little emphasis, too, maybe. But I certainly understand your point, thank you.

Neil

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Very nice portrait with great lighting.
    The camera left hand does bother me a bit but maybe it's more the crop for me.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Hey Neil,
    nice lighting, posing and the character! thumb.gif
    I agree with the prior comments, though: bg looks noisy and chopped-off fingers make the crop sloppy. You'd be far better off moving the crop window to the camera left, losing a bit of a shoulder but gaining the complete fingers instead.
    Cheers!
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 3, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Very nice portrait with great lighting.
    The camera left hand does bother me a bit but maybe it's more the crop for me.

Thank you reyvee61, that's encouraging!

The "crop" is actually the smoking gun of my obstreperous and stubborn nature! I wanted to do this shot with the 135mm f2L, and nothing was going to stop me, though my home studio is way too small for the greatness of that lens, on a crop body, too. So I was flattened like a swatted fly up against the wall to get even this much in the frame! Consequently and fittingly there is no room to crop in the shot. I know the compo is flawed, as you and others say, and I really needed to get feedback from other eyes about how badly, but now it exists and I can't change it, I have to live with it. I am rationalising along the lines that the rough edges contribute to the "character".:D

Neil

edited September 3, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Hey Neil,
    nice lighting, posing and the character! thumb.gif
    I agree with the prior comments, though: bg looks noisy and chopped-off fingers make the crop sloppy. You'd be far better off moving the crop window to the camera left, losing a bit of a shoulder but gaining the complete fingers instead.
    Cheers!
    Nikolai

Hey, Nik! Great to know you are still flourishing here in your home territory!

Thanks for your encouragement and help. Please see my reply to reyvee61 about the "crop". Though I say I was determined to use the 135mm f2L in a small space against all sense, in fact I think that lens put a voodoo on me and made me use it. It is such an aristocrat and extrovert that it just can't bear to be off the camera when portraits are being taken!rolleyes1.gif If you have ever sat in front of it on the other side of the camera you will know the deep throat thrill of looking into it when it opens for focus! Just unique, in my experience.mwink.gif

Yes, there is a bit of noise in the bg. Also the bg is rough calico, and it was quite close to the subject, and picking up a bit of light, so that you can actually see the threads.

Best wishes.

Neil

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Hey, Nik! Great to know you are still flourishing here in your home territory!

Thanks for your encouragement and help. Please see my reply to reyvee61 about the "crop". Though I say I was determined to use the 135mm f2L in a small space against all sense, in fact I think that lens put a voodoo on me and made me use it. It is such an aristocrat and extrovert that it just can't bear to be off the camera when portraits are being taken!rolleyes1.gif If you have ever sat in front of it on the other side of the camera you will know the deep throat thrill of looking into it when it opens for focus! Just unique, in my experience.mwink.gif

Yes, there is a bit of noise in the bg. Also the bg is rough calico, and it was quite close to the subject, and picking up a bit of light, so that you can actually see the threads.

Best wishes.

Neil

Neil,
    It's not about the lens. It's about framing. You could've turned the camera a couple degrees to its left...mwink.gif
    Nikolai
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 3, 2010
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Neil,
    It's not about the lens. It's about framing. You could've turned the camera a couple degrees to its left...mwink.gif
    Nikolai

I think it's about my perversity!:ivar

Neil