my portraits look like paintings

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited August 31, 2005 in People
maybe thats what it is, it seems my pics look like "paintings" and i really dont do that much post processing.... yet, i dont think i would want the pic any sharper anyway.... shooting animals are so much easier than people!

troy

34024277-L.jpg

Comments

• LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    maybe thats what it is, it seems my pics look like "paintings" and i really dont do that much post processing.... yet, i dont think i would want the pic any sharper anyway.... shooting animals are so much easier than people!

troy
    Between you and Yuri, I have no idea how to keep up with all this awesome talent. You have yet to fail to amuse me (that made sense in my head).

Thank you for sharing and inspiring,

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    ok, who paid u to say that?? was it Andy?? Hmm i think you're way too kind to be saying this!!! Yuri is a master! Im just a newb, im so slow when i heard Andy got a new 717, I thought it was a plane!! When i first heard about a 20D, i thought it was something women wear underneath!

anyway, thanx for the kind words.....

troy
    LiquidOps wrote:
    Between you and Yuri, I have no idea how to keep up with all this awesome talent. You have yet to fail to amuse me (that made sense in my head).

Thank you for sharing and inspiring,

Steven
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    Sweet capture Troy of your lovely daughter.
    Dont be so hard on yourself.Yuri would be proudylsuper.gif
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    thanx John! your words are appreciated!!

troy
    Sweet capture Troy of your lovely daughter.
    Dont be so hard on yourself.Yuri would be proudylsuper.gif
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    OK, Troy - you're 'close on the heels of' me !!! :-)
    In fact its interesting to me... this sharpness.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but ... all the sharpness is in her hair and the question is... the question of DOF or 'long exposure and 'model'.
    1) try to remember (write down) some settings and corresponding DOF. When I first tried to take photos with Canon (low light, as I like) I was amazed by DOF of 1 cm or so. Increasing DOF ecreased exposure and... made photos not that sharp...
    2) At the moment of 'shooting' ask your model to stay still. I use counting loud from 1 to 3, pressing knobe at 3.
    I like the composition of your portrait, like your model, but...
    A little bit sharper... thats what I say... You know, for me sharp eyes and not so sharp eyebrows (what I see hear) ... how to say... makes this photo ... artificial... in some sense ...

Spasibo, dear friend!
    Yuri
    What was you equipment?
  • Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Beautiful pic, Troy!
    And yes, you're very right in saying it looks like a painting.

Lauren is very relaxed in front of the camera, and that alone makes for a nice photo!
    The only nit I could pick about it is the DOF, or so I assume: it seems focus is not perfect in the eyes, leading to a little softness. Which obviously doesn't make the photo bad in any means, but it may appeal a little less to some people's senses. I'd try shooting your 85mm lens at f/2.8 at least, perhaps even f/4 if you have to get closer (but watch out for shutter speeds below 1/160-ish, you don't want camera shake!).

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago