Options

Technical Question - Nikon

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited September 9, 2010 in Technique
I'm trying to find this in my user's manual as well... but thought I'd ask here since I lurk a lot and there might be an easy solution...

I use a D5000 with kit 18-55vr and 55-200vr lenses.

When I'm in any auto-focus mode, and the auto light sensor determines "! Subject is Too Dark" it locks up the shutter release and won't let me take a photo. :scratch The only work-around I've been able to do so far is switch to Manual focus, but with my glasses and impatience, I miss the focus on a lot of shots. Specifically, low-light and nighttime tripod shots I can't take with the auto-focus on, and low-angle shots are impossible to see through the viewfinder.

PS: mods - I'm not sure exactly if this fits this forum - so please feel free to move if there's a more appropriate place.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    Manual not helpful ne_nau.gif
    edited September 3, 2010
    The camera is trying to warn and stop you from taking a out of focus shot. Anyway, here is a discussion that is going on that might help you
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=176772
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    switch to "auto-mode "
    its not a shame
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2010
    racer - thanks, that'll help me try to manually focus, but what I'd like to be able to do is auto-focus, which the camera doesn't seem to want to do at night. probably just user error:bash

Bas - I started out in shutter-priority auto (at 30") and could not get the camera trigger the shutter. It thinks there's something wrong. Maybe it couldn't focus, but the error warning says "Subject is too dark" maybe it's not focusing because the subject is too dark? I thought it was a metering thing, still not sure, but the manual thinks it's a
    edited September 3, 2010
    red_zone wrote: »
    racer - thanks, that'll help me try to manually focus, but what I'd like to be able to do is auto-focus, which the camera doesn't seem to want to do at night. probably just user error:bash
    First, make sure you have the AF assist beam turned on.
    If the asist beam was on, then the problem was that it just couldnt autofocus in that situation, and you probably wont get autofocus in that situation, unless you use a flash, some other sort of light, or a lens with a wider aperature
    One thing you can try, is when it locks up, manual focus to were it is close, then try autofocus again.
    Chances are, if it is low light, and you cant get AF, you are going to need to manual focus. Your 18-55 at 18mm f3.5 is going to give you the best AF perfomance in low light, because of the wider aperature. AF is going to have trouble (if it works at all), with the 55-200 in low light
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Trick: Light the subject with a flashlight and focus with AF. After focus is locked, let go of the shutter release, turn off the flashlight and switch the camera (or lens) to manual focus. When you press the shutter release again to take the dark shot, it won't re-focus and it will still be locked from the flashlight exposure.

You should also check to see if the D5000 has a menu setting for focus priority, meaning that it won't let you take a shot unless you have focus. That could also be part of your problem.

Switching to "auto" isn't shameful, but you won't learn anything and it won't solve your problem.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 3, 2010
    Slow lenses are part of the issue. An f2.8 or an f1.4 will do a much better job of achieving AF in dim light. Using a flash light or other light source can help to achieve focus lock.

With the high ISO's cameras have these days, we can shoot and capture images in places it is just too darned dark to get reliable autofocus at all.

If it is so dark that AF won't work, manual focus with slow lenses will be very difficult - you may just be left with manually setting a zone of focus from the range numbers on the lens barrel and go with that. If you shoot a lot in very dark venues, you might want to look into a split image focusing screen for your pentaprism if Nikon offers one.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    If you're not in the market for a new 1.4 or 2.8 lens and you can shoot on a tripod, shoot in aperture priority, 18mm, F11 and set your focus ring to infinity. Everything from 3 feet out will be in focus, even if your camera can't tell. Again, if the D5000 has a setting for focus priority, make sure it's off, allowing you to take a picture no matter what. This is starting to be a lot of information for you, but it's all good.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    switch to AF-C or put it on sports and it should fire, i believe the D5000 has the feature
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010
    Oh, I'm just starting out here, and while a low aperture lens would be REALLY nice, I don't have the cash... I recently bought a new tripod (already an improvement), and I guess my next step will be to find a nice bright flashlight with adjustable beam.

Thanks for the tip about high aperture and focus on infinity. I knew that, I swear, it just wasn't coming to my mind when I was shooting. I've been trying to get as wide an aperture as possible to get good color saturation at night, and I guess I was too intent on that to remember how to focus.

I guess as I get more low-light shooting experience flipping back and forth between autofocus and manual on the lens will become easier - I just would forget to switch out of manual, or when trying to manually focus at lower apertures, I'd just be kind of off.
    edited September 9, 2010
    mag lite----bright adjustable beam...also makes for fantastic head banger or knee capper if in a bad
    situation...carried by police, military, and other emergency reponse teams the world over......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website