New Senior: Katie. C&C appreciated!

woytekwoytek Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited September 8, 2010 in People
This past weekend, I had the pleasure of getting another pretty girl on the other side of my lens. Here's a few of my favorite shots of Katie, taken in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh.

Let me have it!

#1:
992692666_cBwSB-L.jpg

#2:
992697324_3teCo-L.jpg

#3:
992699116_gyQMi-L.jpg

#4:
992710620_KHrTj-L.jpg

#5:
992718324_bSuoZ-L.jpg

#6:
992719770_43bTe-L.jpg

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Well I think you did a good job here.
    I love the light on #4 but I would have cropped that tighter as to remove the bottom portion where her hand is cropped but then that might call for an even tighter crop yet.
    Number six is great too but I would consider backing off the magentas just a bit and maybe use PS to whiten her teeth.
    I like the bokeh in all of these and I must remember to shoot with wider apertures next time I get a chance to do something like this
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Beautiful light. I would have liked to see a different expression. #4 is my favorite.
  • woytekwoytek Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Thanks all! I do have a couple of other expressions, but they didn't speak to me for her portrait. I'll have to dig up a couple and post them here--perhaps my thoughts on them are misplaced.

jonathan
    edited September 7, 2010
    BTW, to get an idea for the (fairly simple) lighting setup for these shots:

- SB 900 remote-triggered via CLS from D700 on-board flash set to commander mode (no flash), shot through an umbrella.
    - White reflector/diffuser used at times to soften the sun or provide fill light, depending on the situation.
    - White balanced for flash + daylight, though the last shot of the series in the original post shows where that white balance started to go a little sideways. I still have to adjust the magenta in that shot a bit to compensate.

Action shots:
    987472148_gEk7w-L.jpg

987473630_RRnCc-L.jpg
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Simple but effective :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    You did a good job of finding shaded spots. That's the first step. #1 she is broad lit meaning the side of the face from nose to ear is the largest part facing the camera and lighting that makes the face look fat. #2 is nice in showing the figure by getting the arms out and showing the female body shape. But you have her facing directly into the camera thus showing the broadest part. Turn her slightly away from the light this will thin the body.

On 3 the bright portion lower left competes too much with the photo and draws attention away from the subject. Turn you images upside down and that problem willl jump out when viewing. Also her far arm seems to be amputated. Bring it around and rest on her lap. I do like the processing. On #4 you turn the body slightly away and the head turned to the front shoulder. Very nice. Try to do that all the time. Arms are cut off, try not to do that. Should fold her arms in front or back up and get the arms in.

#5 is a little hot on the face. Not flattering here lookin up at her. Would have been nice to shoot her looking thru the railings. #6 needs more shaping of the face with light and dark areas.

Overall all you have some nice things going on here. Practice turning the umbrella a bit in the shade to give the subject just a kiss of light.
    edited September 8, 2010
    Thank you, sir, for the (good, useful, and constructive) comments!