edited September 3, 2010
    Daytime shots of Yellowstone:

5. Canary Springs at Mammoth Hot Springs
    991009202_cZNDy-L-1.jpg

6. Orange Spring Mound, Upper Terrace Mammoth Hot Springs
    991010198_7EKAV-L-1.jpg

7. Castle Geyser
    992680508_2Z2dP-L.jpg

8. Beehive Geyser and ... Double Rainbow!
    990950890_Nsn7t-L-1.jpg

Thanks for looking. It has been a fun but tiring trip. Normally, I stay away from the National Parks during the summer, given the harsh light and the crowds, but it was nice to have much these crowded parks mostly to yourself at night.
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Those are awesome, Dan! My hands down favorite is Beehive (my favorite geyser)!! I also like #1 (you captured the beautiful color in Heart Spring wonderfully) and #3 (I've been meaning to try a nighttime shot of Old Faithful for a while).

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Here you go again! Your killing me. rolleyes1.gifBeautiful captures on the entire set but the reflections in #7 and the double rainbow geyser #8 really hit me. Nice work. bowdown.gif
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Some really great images, I really like that B&W version of old faithful.

Yellowstone is one of my favorite places and I have been getting there 2-3 times a year for the past 6-7 years. It can be challenging to try and capture images during the busy season, but I have found that most of the features in the park are somewhat people free in the early mornings before 9 or 10 and after 5 or 6 in the evenings, and of course at night.

Great images, and a great job of thinking outside of the box.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    You went everywhere! #2 and #3 are my faves - love the effect of the long exposure on the geyser. I've never been there when the weather was clear enough for that.

Hopefully there's a Pt. IV!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Another great set, Dan. clap.gif
  • Mark EdellMark Edell Registered Users Posts: 672 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Wonderful set! I love the first two thumb.gif
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Those are awesome, Dan! My hands down favorite is Beehive (my favorite geyser)!! I also like #1 (you captured the beautiful color in Heart Spring wonderfully) and #3 (I've been meaning to try a nighttime shot of Old Faithful for a while).

Kristine

Thanks! Really lucked out with Beehive... met up with some of the Geyser Gazers out there, who were able to give me a heads up about the imminent eruption of this one. Came up on it just 3 minutes before it went off. Sun was just right for the rainbows. And totally loved it that one of the folks came really well prepared with the umbrella. It gave a most spectacular show. And thanks for recognizing Heart Springs. I couldn't remember its name when I posted.
    bgarland wrote: »
    Here you go again! Your killing me. rolleyes1.gifBeautiful captures on the entire set but the reflections in #7 and the double rainbow geyser #8 really hit me. Nice work. bowdown.gif

Thanks! I was nice be able to explore the park a little more, and shoot some of the other geysers. Old Faithful is def a fave because, well, it is so reliable/frequent so it makes waiting and setting up for shoots easy. But the other geysers (Castle, Grand, Beehive, Lions, etc...) often erupt in a much more spectacular or unique manner. It is the waiting 6-24 hours for eruptions that might make it less favorable.

Roaddog 52 wrote: »
    Some really great images, I really like that B&W version of old faithful.

Yellowstone is one of my favorite places and I have been getting there 2-3 times a year for the past 6-7 years. It can be challenging to try and capture images during the busy season, but I have found that most of the features in the park are somewhat people free in the early mornings before 9 or 10 and after 5 or 6 in the evenings, and of course at night.

Great images, and a great job of thinking outside of the box.

Phil

Thanks! #3 is a fave of mine also. It is so great that you are able to get out there so often... there is so much to see, with such interesting geology, habitats, and fauna. Yeah... the crowds bug me a bit during the busy season here, but being able to wander the park by moonlight is just wondrous. (I just try not to walk like bear bait!)
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Another great set, Dan. clap.gif
    Mark Edell wrote: »
    Wonderful set! I love the first two thumb.gif

Thanks! I had much fun taking this series.
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Chasing the Dark - Prelude
    coscorrosa wrote: »
    You went everywhere! #2 and #3 are my faves - love the effect of the long exposure on the geyser. I've never been there when the weather was clear enough for that.

Hopefully there's a Pt. IV!

Doubtful of a part IV... sorry. I am quite undisciplined especially when it comes to pp, so it might be a long while before I get to those images that seemingly require a little more work. Besides... I hear my shutter calling me...

I guess here are some of the shots taken from the place that inspired my recent night madness. Most of these were taken up on the Noatak River, about 20 mile north of Kotzebue, AK, which in turn is 33 mi above the Arctic circle. These were taken at the end of July.

1. Midnight sky. Yes, it really was that bright. The sun has yet to dip below the horizon...
    958113082_cGDAu-L.jpg

2. Morning at our camp
    958234143_rCa6u-L.jpg

3. ...our sandy camp...
    990868704_DVjYL-L.jpg

4. Midnight sun.
    958113761_3xaDx-L.jpg

5. Getting anywhere outside the 8 miles of drivable roads in Kotz is challenging, and you need to have a boat to get to some of the spectacular scenery (or at least some trees) during the summer when the ice melts. This is our trusty ride. Fortunately, the engine kicked out after we got back, otherwise it would have been a nasty row back (or at least an embarrassing call on the VHF radio)
    958109401_e5Lx8-L.jpg

6. And one of my all-time-fave shots - Lavonne's Fish Camp (not on the Noatak, but just on the beach 20 min away by ATV)
    958104496_kwZ3Y-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!