Chicago @ Night

TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited September 7, 2010 in Landscapes
I know... I know... There are a million photos of Chicago's skyline out there, but this was something I wanted to try.. And now I wanted to share them and get some feedback from you guys.

So forgive me.. Here are the Chicago shots.

And yes.. I know the watermark is obnoxious.. But this forums has no right click protection so I throw it on there to be clearly visible.. :dunno

993329548_FVNKK-L.jpg

993333418_3cL3B-M.jpg

993333217_kvrra-M.jpg

993333270_k8CCv-M.jpg

993333307_PgA6f-M.jpg

993333424_4c9WC-M.jpg

Thanks for giving them a look!

Comments

• dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Very cool....Chicago has very fond memories for me and you did the city skyline some serious justice with these awesome shots
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    Very nice shots. I am curious did you do any processing?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2010
    I live 40 minutes south and see the skyline stuff all the time...redundancy set aside, I say #1 especially has the goodness. Maybe bring out the shadows on the bottom strip if there's anything in there, it'd be more interesting I think.

I also think skyline photos are the asian carp of chicago photography. HAHA

It took me about 50 minutes just to get a successful set of pan images when I tried it once... gotta love them shaky boats :bash
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    dadwtwins>> Thank you for the kind words!

bradfordbenn>> My PP was really small.. slight straightening, cloned out the path of a helicopter, and adding my ©... But other than that, they are as shot.

overfocused>> these were shot from the planetarium.. I dunno how anyone can shoot from a boat!
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Good stuff.. my only issue is #2 seems a little OOF? Maybe it's me..

Personally (and really, that's just me) I like to white balance so the buildings rid themselves of that horrid yellow the camera picks up from the Sodium Vapor lights downtown... That's just me... Other than that, one day I'd like to get out there to catch the fireworks. I'd go tonight, but I'm still cameraless with all my gear at canon. :(
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Tdcompton wrote: »
    dadwtwins>> Thank you for the kind words!

bradfordbenn>> My PP was really small.. slight straightening, cloned out the path of a helicopter, and adding my ©... But other than that, they are as shot.

overfocused>> these were shot from the planetarium.. I dunno how anyone can shoot from a boat!

#1 is my favorite as well. The planetarium was the location I didn't have time to get to, so I missed out on the "cliche" panorama from that spot. Of course, I love cliche...and then I know it's "mine" as well. :D

Thanks for sharing!
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    They are all great shots but I really like the first one, something about the composition and colours that works really well.

Duncan
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    gecko0 wrote: »
    #1 is my favorite as well. The planetarium was the location I didn't have time to get to, so I missed out on the "cliche" panorama from that spot. Of course, I love cliche...and then I know it's "mine" as well. :D

Thanks for sharing!

Laughing.gif that Cliche has made me a decent amount of $$$$ doing a pano from the Planetarium with all the buildings and their blackhawks swag. :) But yeah, it's overdone, a lot.....
  • brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Chicago by night
    The first is a real good shot. Compliments.

brancaleone
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to view the images and write your comments!

Jim Karczewski>> My lens is at Nikon and has been since June.. I haven't heard a word from them.. Getting angry!

That second shot has wondered me as well.. I thought that the lens was perhaphs fogged over, but when I checked it was perfectly fine and had no smudges.. When I pulled the images off of the memory card I realized that every image from that lens has a very strange bokeh to it... But the lenses were borrowed so I don't know if perhaps that's normal for that lens.