Opposites

zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
edited September 5, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
I finally came up with an idea for a challenge. Comments welcome.

Trinity church reflected in the John Hancock tower. Opposite ideas include sacred vs. modern big business, old vs. new, etc.

34130514-L.jpg

Exif:
Photograph Details 34130514-Ti.jpgDate Taken: 2005-08-29 14:49:37 Date Modified: 2005-08-30 20:08:05 Make: NIKON CORPORATION Model: NIKON D70 Size: 2687x1834 Bytes: 3164723 Aperture: f/8.0 ISO: 200 Focal Length: 17mm (25mm 35mm) Exposure Time: 0.0025s (1/400) Exposure Program: Aperture priority Exposure Bias: -0.33 ColorSpace: sRGB

Comments

• adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    yeah, I like the idea. It doesn't quite come off though, mainly due to where you are standing. Although without being there it'll be hard to describe a better position. You've also missed the pavement (sidewalk).

I would either stand right back but I think a better concept would be to *just* photograph the new building showing the reflection (but that's a hindsight thing - I wouldn't have thought of it without seeing this pic).

If you can't reshoot, I wonder if could just crop to show the new build with reflection.
    zigzag wrote:
    I finally came up with an idea for a challenge. Comments welcome.

Trinity church reflected in the John Hancock tower. Opposite ideas include sacred vs. modern big business, old vs. new, etc.

Aperture priority Exposure Bias: -0.33 ColorSpace: sRGB
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Ah, one of my favorite photo subjects! I could photograph the John Hancock Tower endlessly!

I like your idea too! clap.gif Wish I had thought of it. rolleyes1.gif But I also agree with Adrien that you will have a stronger entry if you just use a picture of the tower reflecting Trinity. Including the Church itself dilutes the impact IMHO.

Good luck!!

Va.

Email
  • zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. You confirmed what I thought myself: it was missing something. That one was the first shot of several, including some with just the reflection of the church, but the light quickly got worse after that first shot. I'll see if there's anything salvageable from the other shots, because I sure won't have time to get back there before Monday.ne_nau.gif
    edited August 31, 2005
    OK, 2nd try. As I feared at work, there is nothing really going on in my shots of just the reflection - the day had turned dreary by then (kinda like now:cry). But I started focusing on this one, which now seems more dramatic and might highlight the 'opposite' nature better.

34228394-L.jpg

Would this make a better entry?
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    zigzag wrote:
    OK, 2nd try. As I feared at work, there is nothing really going on in my shots of just the reflection - the day had turned dreary by then (kinda like now:cry). But I started focusing on this one, which now seems more dramatic and might highlight the 'opposite' nature better.

34228394-S.jpg

This one is much better than the first one although I still think Adrian's idea is right on. Having just the reflection would be better although I don't know if it is possible to get the right angle....

Erich
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    I like them both Erich. Excellent idea and execution. Hard to decide which is best. thumb.gif Did you try cropping the second one more, like just at the people's feet? Maybe in a landscape style instead of portrait? I'm not sure you need the whole tower in it to get the point out there. But yours both are really nice interesting angles.

erich6 wrote:
    This one is much better than the first one although I still think Adrian's idea is right on. Having just the reflection would be better although I don't know if it is possible to get the right angle....

Erich
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    Hey zigzag,

I just wanted to let you know that I like the version you posted a lot. thumb.gif It works for me better than the first version you posted because both buiildings are in the photo -- plus the reflection, of course. I also like the title. clap.gif Good luck!

Va.

Email
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    This #2 is great!
    zigzag wrote:
    34228394-S.jpg
    I wonder: was it (is it) possible to move the camera a bit to the right / a tad lower to the ground, so the building behind the church would totally go away (would be hidden by the church itself)? This way the *only* builldings in frame would be the chursh and the skyscaper, thus making an "opposing" idea more distilled?
    Very nice otherwise!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited September 5, 2005
    Thanks for the comments everyone - I'm new to this and the advice is really helpful.1drink.gif