extension tubes with canon 100mm macro IS USM

dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
edited September 5, 2010 in Cameras
I`m thinking of buying the canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM, I just want to ask if it can be used with the canon extension tube? thanks
Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Extension tubes are a universal application and can be used with any EF lens
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    not universal , they also exist without contacts

edit ;
    there also exist a Mk I and a Mk II which are different
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 4, 2010
    dantambok wrote: »
    I`m thinking of buying the canon 100mm f2.8L IS USM, I just want to ask if it can be used with the canon extension tube? thanks

Optically, macro lenses couple extremely well with extension tubes and deliver very nice results.

Electronically, some extension tubes may not have full pass of signals so some features may be affected. For best results use extension tubes and tube sets that are "fully coupled".

Remember that using an extension tube shifts the focus so that infinity focus is no longer possible.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 4, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    not universal , they also exist without contacts

edit ;
    there also exist a Mk I and a Mk II which are different

I meant regarding the canon converter
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited September 4, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    does the 100 is maintain is with a coupled extension tube?

I honestly don't know, but according to other users the IS is not that beneficial at true macro magnifications. I also don't know if the Canon EF 100mm, f2.8L USM IS Macro has a capability to moderate AF speed or if the Canon extension tubes are "chipped" so that the host camera can moderate the AF speed according to the extension used.

I am investigating.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited September 5, 2010
    One other thing is that if you're going to use a flash the IS will be useless, if you're not then wait for Ziggy :)