Lens Recommendation for social gathering

EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited September 5, 2010 in People
I'm going to a black tie event my family is hosting and would like to take my camera to get some candid shots. It will be an intimate gathering/dinner of around a couple hundred people outside in the evening so potentially low light. I have a nikon D700. What lens would you recommend?

Thank you for any guidance!

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    What lenses do you have? If I were in your situation, I'd be taking my 85 1.4, but I don't have a fabulous zoom. I usually rent the 24-70 2.8 for weddings. It can be tricky to use the 85 at an event, but I just shot a wedding with mine, and it worked beautifully.
  • EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    I have a 50mm. I recently switch to FX so I haven't bought a second lens yet. I'm planning renting one for the event until I decide on my next lens.
    edited September 5, 2010
    The 50 is pretty handy. I guess it depends on how far you want to be from your subjects. I would lean towards renting the 24-70, rather than a telephoto, but keep your 50mm in your bag in case you need the extra bit of light with it wide open. I have been in situations in which I needed to go down to 1.8 (which is what my 50mm is) to get enough light. I also just recently got my d700. I'd been shooting with the d300.
  • EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    The 50 is pretty handy. I guess it depends on how far you want to be from your subjects. I would lean towards renting the 24-70, rather than a telephoto, but keep your 50mm in your bag in case you need the extra bit of light with it wide open. I have been in situations in which I needed to go down to 1.8 (which is what my 50mm is) to get enough light. I also just recently got my d700. I'd been shooting with the d300.

Thanks! I may go ahead and purchase the 24-70mm. It's seems like it would be a good versatile lens. I was looking at the 24mm 1.8 since it was small but I don't think it would be used at much as the 24-70.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    I would say this would be very versatile for such an occasion, happy shooting.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 5, 2010
    Good choice. I think you'll be happy. That's the next lens on my list. I do more portraits than events, so that's why I purchased the 85 first. That being said, I did use the rented 24-70 for some portraits and was pleased with the results.