Options

Image Resize Recommendation

rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited September 5, 2010 in Finishing School
I have a bunch of images I would like to re-size. With that said though I don't "NEED" a specific size, all I'm looking to do is reduce the file size so my girlfriend can upload to facebook, email, etc etc...
I'm using Lightroom 3 and I know in the export settings I can specify a size in different ways (resolution, height and width etc..) So my question is what is the best way to just reduce the file size so she can do whatever she does with them on the web/email?

Thanks
R.
Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.

Comments

• Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    For batch resizing, I just use Canon's DPP in batch mode or XP PowerToys Image Resizer (there are W7 ports of the PowerToys). If you want to do it within LR3, I'm sure there is a way to do it as well...I'll let others chime in on that.

Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2010
    I know how to do it in LR3 what I'm not so sure about is picking a size.

Someone suggested using 720pixles for h&w. That seemed to work well. What I would like to know is what are the best sizes to use and why we use them if that makes sense?

R.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    Lightroom is the tool to use considering you own it. So if the only question is the file size, ask yourself what image size you’d like to see the image on any number of systems, considering that a range of 72-100 or so will be utilized by most people’s display systems. 720 would produce roughly a 7 inch image on a display using 100ppi output. FWIW, I have two Lightroom presets for converting images to the web or email: big being 1900x1200 at 72 ppi (LR wants something in that resolution field) and small: 640x640 (where LR will ensure the long axis is no larger than 640, hence the setting).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2010
    arodney,
    Let me ask you something. Do the size numbers have any impact on image shape. It might seem like a silly question, but the reason I'm asking is I'm just trying to understand how the numbers impact what we see. For example what is the main difference in an image sized 1900x720 as opposed to 1900x1200?

I have the same thing setup in LR export but for naming, watermaking, email etc.... It's a great feature being able to save each set of settings in their own group.

R.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    rickp wrote: »
    Do the size numbers have any impact on image shape. It might seem like a silly question, but the reason I'm asking is I'm just trying to understand how the numbers impact what we see. For example what is the main difference in an image sized 1900x720 as opposed to 1900x1200?

What LR will do is honor the dimension ratio you select. In the example of the 640x640, the long dimension will always be 640 be it a horizontal or a vertical. In the example above, you are telling LR how to sample that dimension with the other being set such that it isn’t cropped or distorted.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    I see what you're saying. It keeps the constraint proportions. I was playing with the image sizes is CS5 and got a better understanding of things.

R.