Options

I was about to toss this when...

Mark EdellMark Edell Registered Users Posts: 672 Major grins
edited September 5, 2010 in Landscapes
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I don't do a lot of landscape, mostly wildlife. I climbed MT Ellinor in Washington state the other day. I stopped at an observation point to shoot a series of shots. It was early morning and the sun was coming up and the view was spectacular. It was an exceptionally clear morning and the visibility was more than 100 miles.

When I got home I was playing around with some shots. This shot was a combination of five shots taken at different exposures. I stacked them and played with the curves a bit. I was about to toss this when my wife saw it and said "Nooo! I love that one". I didn't care for it much at first but it's starting to grow on me. Opinions?

What you are looking at is a shot taken from MT Ellinor. The mountain in the center is MT Rainier (85 miles away) and the mountain on the far right is MT St. Helens (106 miles away).

994574731_MUbAz-O.jpg

Thanks for looking!!
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    I think I agree with your wife here Mark!! Very nice photo!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    I agree with your wife, as well. It's a magnificent piece of work.

I'm interested to see the five constituent photos, too. Did you keep them?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2010
    Thanks Ron and Will.

Will, yes I still have them. here are the 5 shots. Just re sized...
    994845710_gukGb-O.jpg
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Can't believe you were going to toss this... I'd like to see about 1/3 of the sky go away, but it's a great shot. Excellent color.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    Thanks JPC,
    Someone else mentioned that as well, I agree it would give more attention to the mountains. I should do that for show, I just don't think it would make a good print size. thumb.gif
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Great piece of work Mark. Individually, each shot looks like a throw-away, with one or two good points to it. Combined, they make a fabulous image.

Vivar la Photoshop!
    jpc wrote: »
    Can't believe you were going to toss this... I'd like to see about 1/3 of the sky go away, but it's a great shot. Excellent color.

Well, the upper right corner, where it's mostly empty and blue, is not all that interesting, but the upper left corner has a lot of details in the gray and white clouds. I'd hate to lose all of that from cropping.

I wonder if that upper right corner would be more interesting if the blue were punched up a bit?
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2010
    Well, the upper right corner, where it's mostly empty and blue, is not all that interesting, but the upper left corner has a lot of details in the gray and white clouds. I'd hate to lose all of that from cropping.

I wonder if that upper right corner would be more interesting if the blue were punched up a bit?

Interesting thought... Revision #10? rolleyes1.gifrofl

I guess I'll need to hang around here some more and see if I can get the hang of landscape photography. Up to now, it has been mostly wildlife stuff but I think I can get in to this.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »

I suggested losing 1/3 of the sky, not 1/3 of the picture :)

Try scrolling with your browser window. Nothing suffers, other than a common print size.
  • Options
    SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Some of the originals work much better than the final result. Much more natural. (IMO)

HDR is a dangerous technology if you don't use tons of restraint.
    ---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford