Taleb Last Week

damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
edited September 6, 2010 in People
tzf1_027.jpg

This is Film Grin. Taken with a Nikon F100, Velvia 50, 85mm 1.8 Nikkor

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    It's cute, of course. For me, a little too warm, too much space above the head, and the expression a bit too disengaged. I can imagine a hypothetical next-moment shot, where you zoom in close, call his attention to you and catch the beginning of the smile. I would suggest check wb on the whites of the eyes and get that right. Eyes are what viewers react to most, and most judgementally.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    thank you for the comment NeilL
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2010
    damonff wrote: »
    thank you for the comment NeilL

Damon, I just did a quick colour check on the white of the eyes and they seem to have a green cast. See what you find, and if there is a cast the colour of the whole photo could be improved by fixing it.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Cute yes I agree and also concur with Neil
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    I think one of the reasons I never made the move to developing and printing my own colour film way back when, was how to handle something like this. It could be a characteristic of the film or an artefact from the scan. I'm personally not bothered whether there's a cast, but I can imagine you're in learning mode with the new setup. Can't wait to see more.

Btw, your mention of getting an F100 in an earlier thread led me to look for one. I picked it up this morning and am almost done with the first roll of Tri-X with the 85/1.4 on all day. Velvia 400 is next. It's the perfect film companion to my D700.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    I think one of the reasons I never made the move to developing and printing my own colour film way back when, was how to handle something like this. It could be a characteristic of the film or an artefact from the scan. I'm personally not bothered whether there's a cast, but I can imagine you're in learning mode with the new setup. Can't wait to see more.

Btw, your mention of getting an F100 in an earlier thread led me to look for one. I picked it up this morning and am almost done with the first roll of Tri-X with the 85/1.4 on all day. Velvia 400 is next. It's the perfect film companion to my D700.

Interesting that you say that, I've also been thinking of purchasing the F100 but if I did, I would have to stick to B&W so I can develop my own negatives and film.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited September 6, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Damon, I just did a quick colour check on the white of the eyes and they seem to have a green cast. See what you find, and if there is a cast the colour of the whole photo could be improved by fixing it.

Neil

Hey, yeah. I was warned that Velvia is not for portraits, but I tried it anyway. I will be going back to negative film for portraits like Portra or Fuji 400H. Wrangling with those temperamental Velvia colors is frustrating! Thanks Neil!
    edited September 6, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »

Hey Jenn. Isn't the F100 sweet? It's like butter. And the film feeling makes me swoon. I have gotten shots of my son that I am guessing that I wouldn't have gotten with my 5DII. Like this:

tzf2_026.jpg

and this:

tzf1_028.jpg

The rolls just keep flowing. Last weekend I went through five 36s and after I got the negatives back, scanning 6 at a time took FOREVER. But it was worth it. Scanning at 4600 is a dream.

So glad you're going with me.

~damon