>>> indiegirl, the interview

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited September 13, 2010 in People
Indiegirl participated in the People Photo Challenge #11: Shallow.

WHO ARE YOU? Hi! I'm Jesse Michener, also known as indiegirl around dgrin-land.
984882805_72H43-L.jpg
Arches National Park

WHEN DID YOU JOIN DGRIN? Looks like I joined in Sept. of 2006. Must have been right after I joined Smugmug. I really started participating during the LPS challenges but left for a long while as I got sucked into an alternate universe called, "spirit-sapping-non-profit-administration hell." After getting downsized twice in three years, I gave the proverbial finger to Working For The Man and decided to get over myself already and do what I should have/could have done all along: photography.
984972634_ueSAD-L.jpg
Grand Canyon National Park

WHICH FORUM(S) DO YOU FREQUENT MOST? I'm learning the ropes with the Sharp Shooter challenges, I like People, Street and PJ as well as Mind Your Own Business. I browse nearly every forum at least once a week. I realize participating is the best way to learn, so I'm participating as much as I can intelligently do so. I also participate unintelligently every now and then, just to keep y'all on your toes.
994385481_E3PzF-L.jpg
Bride Wink

HOW DID YOU GET STARTED IN PHOTOGRAPHY? I got started by being born. I'm the daughter of a pro photog and my grandpa was an avid hobbist. I've been around the craft my entire life. I began shooting at an early age and bought my first film SLR with three lenses when I was 16. Nudes were always on our walls and because of this, I had two kind of friends as a kid: those who were allowed to come over and those who were not.
994383074_fzZYJ-L.jpg
Hands

DID YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOGRAPHY TRAINING? I took classes in high school, and although this sounds lame, I had a fantastic teacher. He really inspired me and taught us well. We learned old skool film processing for b/w and color and I was asked to document our senior year for our class of 900 kids. I had a $500 budget for film and processing. I shot everything on slides and had a gas doing it.

My father has always been my best teacher and biggest critic/supporter. He teaches in LA and runs a successful solo studio. We talk at least three times a week. I can't over-express how much this connection has shaped me and gifted me with both inspiration and information.

I have a monthly subscription to Kelby online training and LOVE their tutorial videos. Best deal, ever, for online training (from photography to software). I try to watch at least two per week.
984763044_ajvaB-L.jpg
My dad

WHAT EQUIPMENT DO YOU HAVE/USE?
EOS 7D Digital
EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS
Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod Legs and grip-action ballhead
Speedlite 580EX II
Photoshop 5, Lightroom 3, Indesign 5 and Illustrator 4
PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II Inkjet Printer
994389135_7xFRH-L.jpg
The square shots are from a show I’m doing now:
Lou

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE THING/SUBJECT/PLACE TO PHOTOGRAPH? From my website, "I’m a lover of capturing life as it unfolds and seeking out details which tell a story. Poses and formal pictures have their place, but what really gets me going is telling a story with pictures. That's what I like to call Life. Photographed. Life. Photographed. is about finding the sacred in extra-ordinary days as well as everyday life. It's an approach to photography which highlights the rehearsed as well as candid moments in life, much like a journalist telling a story with images."
994391392_BxWqC-L.jpg
brothers

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PHOTO? Are you serious? Why don't you just ask me who my favorite child is, or which tooth I like best. I'll tell you the recipe for my favorite photo:

People (real life * emotion) = brilliance.
994393847_jnAsi-L.jpg
sisters

WHAT'S THE BEST ADVICE SOMEONE HAS GIVEN YOU PHOTOGRAPHY WISE? Being good with people is as important as taking good pictures.

People like me and it shows in my work. I have a professional demeanor which puts folks at ease, which gets better images and tells a better story.

WHAT'S THE ONE THING/ADVICE THAT YOU WANT TO GIVE OTHER'S? A former friend of mine (we broke up shortly after this little story happened) said to me once, "Well, I just bought my first $1000 lens and took that weekend workshop by "famous photographer," so now I can officially call myself a photographer now. I resisted the urge to punch her just then. I nearly did when she f-up a job I hired her to do because she used a $1000 lens instead of the RIGHT lens.

Good equipment is nothing in the hands of a douche.

WHO/WHAT ARE YOUR BIGGEST INFLUENCES IN PHOTOGRAPHY? If I talk about my dad anymore you might think I have some sort of complex, so I'll move onward.
994396485_WkfKh-L.jpg
Eleanor

As a kid, I'd pour over Diane Arbus' work. Her stuff in asylums with people with Down's Syndrome both haunted and thrilled me. I realized images weren't always pretty but they sure as hell could move you. Later, I fell in love with Avedon. His celebrity work juxtaposed with his more intimate, gritty stuff just slays me. Of course Annie Leibovitz is on my list. My dad asked her to marry him once. They were talking and he was joking, of course. He has this shot of her taking a picture of him taking a picture of her, dueling-style. Love it. Jay Maisel is great. Love his sensibility and practical advice on the Kelby training vids.
40568_488837964907_504889907_6902035_2300752_n.jpg

SO WHAT ABOUT YOUR ENTRY? It's my Zoe-girl playing around with a hyperactive faucet on our recent road trip. We were having lunch at a park. I was cranky with my husband about something, so I went over to where the action was happenin'. Much laughter and faucet-rain showers ensued. I made her flick the stream of water with her tongue several times and she got pretty wet. My husband got cranky with me. You know, the usual.

If you want to see more of Jesse's work, go to her website: http://jessemichener.com/. Comments? questions? post them here!

For more info on the people photo challenges, go here.

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Congrats

Nice to know more about you Jesse, great style and attitude!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Loved the interview, and congrats on the image!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    EXCELLENT interview, and great to know you better, indie!
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    [ Good equipment is nothing in the hands of a douche.]

Quite possibly the greatest quote ever.
    Chris Sowers
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2010
    Nice to hear more about you Jesse. Have been a big fan of your work since I first saw it shortly after I joined the Dgrin community. Congratulations.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    Great shots, great interview. So glad you've rejoined the fold here at dgrin (I wasn't around when you were last participating). Look forward to seeing and hearing more!
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    CASowers wrote: »
    [ Good equipment is nothing in the hands of a douche.]

Quite possibly the greatest quote ever.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Ok, I'm a bit surprised that she wasn't asked why her Dad shoots Nikon and her with Canon. :hide

Cool interview and nice shots!
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Love your photo! AND, by the way, I voted for your shot, so I guess I get my wish to hear more about you and what you do! And I like what I am learning! Fun interview!
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    michswiss wrote: »
    Ok, I'm a bit surprised that she wasn't asked why her Dad shoots Nikon and her with Canon. :hide

Ha! If you ask my dad, he'll tell you that anyone who feels strongly about it doesn't know what they are talking about because they're both fine cameras.

The answer is because I started with a Canon and he started with a Nikon and neither of us has ever felt compelled to switch. Pretty boring.

It does suck when he has extra of something and can't pass it along.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Wow, amazing!
    Nice to know more about you.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • kris10jokris10jo Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    great bio and photos, Jesse!
    Kristen
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, everyone!