Options

This may be categorized as industrial photography

bigsnowdogbigsnowdog Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited September 10, 2010 in Technique
I do a certain amount of photography of automotive components and detail views of vehicles. This will typically be indoors. I experiment with shop lights and the flash on the Canon 40D. I do have a Speedlite, too, though in closeup it is a bit much, obviously.

I am curious as to what suggestions you accomplished folks might have. It is also helpful if it is modest in cost. :-)

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    closeup you say ?
    in closeup light is very inportend , the closer you get the more light you need
    if the speedlight give to much reflection , you can use thin paper to diffuse it
    or , bounce it of on paper
    better then raising ISO , imo
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    closeup you say ?
    in closeup light is very inportend , the closer you get the more light you need
    if the speedlight give to much reflection , you can use thin paper to diffuse it
    or , bounce it of on paper
    better then raising ISO , imo

The thin paper idea is a great suggestion. I will try that!

I have also [don't laugh now] considered building a crude framework over an outdoor bench, then draping a white bed sheet over it as a diffuser, and taking the photos under that canopy.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    you dont see me laughing
    sounds like a good idea
    better then buying an expensive photo-tent , especially since you are in an industrial environment [ i guess ]
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    bigsnowdog wrote: »
    The thin paper idea is a great suggestion. I will try that!

I have also [don't laugh now] considered building a crude framework over an outdoor bench, then draping a white bed sheet over it as a diffuser, and taking the photos under that canopy.

I once thought of doing exactly that for photographing car interiors, draping the bed sheet over all the windows.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    you dont see me laughing
    sounds like a good idea
    better then buying an expensive photo-tent , especially since you are in an industrial environment [ i guess ]

I am not really in an industrial environment, but my subject matter is essentially industrial. No people. Reflective metal surfaces. Components and assemblies.

It is very easy to have lots of hot spots from reflective surfaces.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    mercphoto wrote: »
    I once thought of doing exactly that for photographing car interiors, draping the bed sheet over all the windows.

A great idea!
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    then , aim the shop-light to the sheets
    and , use kitchen-paper in front of your flash-light(s)
    costs nothing , but with some experimenting it will [should ] work
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    then , aim the shop-light to the sheets
    and , use kitchen-paper in front of your flash-light(s)
    costs nothing , but with some experimenting it will [should ] work

What do you mean by kitchen paper? I am not familiar with that term.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2010
    rolleyes1.gif
    sorry , im not familiar with english terms headscratch.gif

i mean those paper tissue stuff from a roll
    usually used in kitchen to clean the mess

[ not familiar with kitchen-terms either :D ]

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1208827&postcount=2
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    he means paper towels.....I used Kleexex for diffusers for years...even for weddings a portraits..
    .a Kleenex and a rubber band amke for a great diffuser.....just make sure the Kleenex is white
    and NOT blue or pink or yello0w......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    just make sure the Kleenex is white
    and NOT blue or pink or yello0w......
    ....or covered with boogies :D
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Not sure if you mean the same thing by saying "shop lights", but you could also try cheap $5 clamp lamps from a hardware store. Throw in a 5500K bulb and you're golden (add in diffusers as necessary from above).
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    gecko0 wrote: »
    Not sure if you mean the same thing by saying "shop lights", but you could also try cheap $5 clamp lamps from a hardware store. Throw in a 5500K bulb and you're golden (add in diffusers as necessary from above).

The only prob here is the extremely short life of photo bulbs.....it is only a few hours and they are no longer daylight balanced...............thye tend to get pricey quickly due to this..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    vintagemxrvintagemxr Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    I did from the late '80s through 2009 what you seem to be describing. I worked for a major auto manufacturer at their proving grounds and a big part of my work was documenting surface, part, trim, and fit issues as well as general test set ups.

If you're shooting for photo display, a catalog or company website then you've got a different thing going from engineering documentation and would want a more artful look to the images. The usual table top photo methods would apply.

If you're documenting parts for reports then you need max DoF and few shadows. It's a rather un-arty look but is what is needed for cold hearted analysis.

I've worked with flood lights, strobes, color corrected florescent, backlit shower curtains, and about anything else we could dream up. In the end, a diffused flash and a small reflector get the job done pretty well for most things.

Controlling blown out highlights on metallic parts is a real challenge as is documenting tiny imperfections on a monochromatic surface.

Really though, it comes down to what the intent of the photos is, what you're trying to show.

Doug
    "A photograph is usually looked at – seldom looked into." - Ansel Adams
    My B&W Photos
    Motorcycles in B&W