Options

Blown out pixels

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited September 6, 2010 in Finishing School
I have an image that has just a few blown out pixels in LR3 (Pro Photo), the one on the left. If I cut back the exposure just 0.1 suddenly the whole flower is blown out. If I increase the exposure (not shown) I can go all the up to +0.4 before the whole flower is blown out.

The same thing happens (whole flower is blown out) if I up the hightlight recovery by +1.

How can reducing exposure or upping hightlight revover cause more blown out pixels? BTW most of the yellow in the flower is 0% blue. In the image on the left the few blown out pixels have 100% green and R and G are both more than 99%

Thanks in advance for any insight.

996650818_YW92H-L.png

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    disable the clipping warning and judge yourself
    clipping warning is just a guide / tool , not point as maximum or so

tip
    click on the nummeric-box of exposure
    add another digit
    now you can finetune with 0,100 increments instead of 0,10 [ nummeric , not w slider ]

edit
    temp and tint can have that same inverse effect too
    you should adjust all sliders , recovery brightness and so on , not just one
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2010
    That’s saturation clipping (look at the red spike in the Histogram). You could lower this all by playing with vibrance or Saturation or selective red saturation if you think this is an issue.

In ACR or LR, if you see a black or white spike on the end of the Histogram, that’s actual tonal clipping (all three channels). But a colored spike describes one or possibly two channels clipping (saturation). This may or may not be a problem. In ACR, if you click on the Workflow Options, you select a true output color space like ProPhoto RGB and the clipping is updated based on that. In LR however, the data is based on a color space you never end up with (ProPhoto primaries with an sRGB tone curve).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/