Options

Paint Shop Pro....?

DewrGleisionDewrGleision Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
edited June 28, 2004 in Finishing School
Ok, so Ive been sent here by wxwax to better learn how to use Jasc Paint Shop Pro... Am I the only one that comlains about it screwing pics up, though? No, Im not; as much as you are all probably fain to believe me, I have photographer friends. The guys that used to develope my film for me even speak against this program as an effective tool for photographic editing/whatever. I mean, its in the name: Paint Shop Pro? Ive used this program a lot to draw crazy stuff and really mess pictures up. And I know that I have produced a few pictures that actually were quite better with it than without its help.
So my question is thus: should I take the time to learn how to use this program completely and totally, or do I muster my funds and go out and buy Photoshop whatever? Is Jasc really that far behind PS? Or is PS really that ahead?
I appreciate any help people are willing to give me, as I seem to have stirred some animosity up in the air...
Thanks...
He who throws dirt, loses ground...

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2004
    So my question is thus: should I take the time to learn how to use this program completely and totally, or do I muster my funds and go out and buy Photoshop whatever? Is Jasc really that far behind PS? Or is PS really that ahead?
    I appreciate any help people are willing to give me, as I seem to have stirred some animosity up in the air...
    Thanks...
    I'd say stick with PSP for now. If you learn PSP and decide that you want to move to Photoshop, you'll already have a handle on the basics of photo editing software. Sure there will be a learning curve associated with changing programs, but it shouldn't be very difficult.

An analogy might be learning to take good pictures with your current camera and then down the road buying a new camera. All the things you learned about taking pictures still apply, you just need to learn the controls of the new camera.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    But is paintshop really intended for serious photo-editing? Also, Im not sure if PS does this or not, but some of the functions of PSP tend to make my shots look worse; any idea on that...?

I like using PSP for "paint" related stuff, like drawing crazy stuff and whatnot... I just never really thought of it as photo-editing software...
    Eahhhh...
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    But is paintshop really intended for serious photo-editing? Also, Im not sure if PS does this or not, but some of the functions of PSP tend to make my shots look worse; any idea on that...?

I like using PSP for "paint" related stuff, like drawing crazy stuff and whatnot... I just never really thought of it as photo-editing software...
    Eahhhh...
    PSP is definitely capable of serious photo-editing and manipulation. Silkenfairy, a popular artist uses PSP 7 almost exclusively. Her work is brilliant.

I recommend asking yourself where you'll be in 5 years. Are you planning to pursue a solid career in design, photography or illustration? If so then Photoshop is the way to go. If you plan to stay a home user and keep it as a hobby, PSP may be your best (and cheaper) bet.

Truth is Photoshop is the industry standard. It's used by companies such as Dreamworks, Pixar and Disney amongst many others. I can't really comment on how good PSP is or isn't since I've never used it. Once, however, I asked the same question to my brother (a very prominent graphic artist that's created ads for major 500 companies). Here was his answer more or less as I remember it...

"You could spend 5 months and learn PSP, Painter, etc but why waste 5 months when you'll ultimately head for Photoshop. If you walk into a company looking for a graphic art position 90% of the companies will ask if you have experience in Photoshop. You should be highly suspicious of the 10% that don't".

my 2 centavos
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    PSP is definitely capable of serious photo-editing and manipulation. Silkenfairy, a popular artist uses PSP 7 almost exclusively. Her work is brilliant.

Wow, she does some amazing stuff. Great link, PDG, thanks!

http://silkenfairy.smugmug.com/gallery/1383/1/38991/Large

Dewr, I think the following link answers all of your questions. Look at the tremendous control she has of the tone and colors and lighting in this shot. It's not just the photo - it's the processing. Seems to me that if you want to use PSP for finishing photos, but not are not looking for a career in graphics arts, then it should be more than sufficient. One look at an image like this tells the whole story, IMHO.

http://silkenfairy.smugmug.com/gallery/1508/1/1242491/Large
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, she does some amazing stuff. Great link, PDG, thanks!

http://silkenfairy.smugmug.com/gallery/1383/1/38991/Large

Dewr, I think the following link answers all of your questions. Look at the tremendous control she has of the tone and colors and lighting in this shot. It's not just the photo - it's the processing. Seems to me that if you want to use PSP for finishing photos, but not are not looking for a career in graphics arts, then it should be more than sufficient. One look at an image like this tells the whole story, IMHO.

http://silkenfairy.smugmug.com/gallery/1508/1/1242491/Large
    No prob...by the way, most of the pictures in her gallery used to be Black and White. She's a master at colorizing. :D
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    Framing photos
    I would like to ask how most of you "frame" your photos. I do mine under images to canvas in ps 7.

But I want mine to look like Andy's. Would I have to pay the arm and a leg for the plug in that I wanted a few months ago?

Actually, I do want that plug in, would anyone recommend a cheaper way to get most of the advantages it offers.

I probably will shoot this afternoon anyway, so it is not a trade off.

ginger (It is a lack of money, shooting is free)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    No prob...by the way, most of the pictures in her gallery used to be Black and White. She's a master at colorizing. :D

That's kind of what I figured. I love her work.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    But I want mine to look like Andy's. Would I have to pay the arm and a leg for the plug in that I wanted a few months ago?

Actually, I do want that plug in, would anyone recommend a cheaper way to get most of the advantages it offers.
    Can u show me an example of the frame you're looking for?

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    Framing
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I would like to ask how most of you "frame" your photos. I do mine under images to canvas in ps 7.

I probably will shoot this afternoon anyway, so it is not a trade off.

ginger (It is a lack of money, shooting is free)

Ginger,
    I frame mine by using Paint Shop Pro - Image>Borders then enlarge the canvas size, then add drop shadow, then add text for title etc. My husband gave me Paint Shop Pro for Christmas. I havn't learned how to do much with it. I still use Adobe Photoshop Elements for most of my photo editing, but I like the one-button easy borders and drop shadow in Paint Shop Pro.
    Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Got PhotoShop, but PaintShop stays.
    There are still some functions I prefer to use PaintShop Pro for, I love the easy density and opacity control of the brushes, easy brush shape and size selection, for example. I find Myself looking at an image and deciding which program will do the job best, and still use both about equally. I can't see a product quality difference, step for step, although PhotoShop definetely is the horse power winner.
    http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/

• Options
    edited June 28, 2004
    Well, thanks guys, for the info, insight, and intrigue of the photos presented by PerezDesignGroup and such! I have renewed faith that the software is capable of serious photo-editing (I must have a bug or something [probably needs an upgrade or something] as some of the functions still mess up my photos more than they help...), but I have revived conviction that I need to figure out the last little tid-bits of functions on my camera and do only minimal editing... Im not really a design guy or a graphic artist or any of that; I just wanted a program that got it right on the first time, and was powerful enough to only have to do it once (I notice the previewing on PSP is very difficult to deal with...). I dont really need that, then, if you guys say so.

Thanks again, though!

PS. Not to be the antagonist here, but silkenfairy's work just isnt that appealing to me. Call it tastes or style or whatever; they just dont strike me as spectacular. Im an Ansel-kinda guy; I love the "natural", pure end of photography, with digital's ability to salvage shots, and discard instantly the losers... Am I in the wrong place? Is there a "general" photography forum out there for you to banish me to? Just wondering...