Cant decide on a birthday gift for myself.

Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
edited February 7, 2011 in Cameras
Ok, so.. IDK what to get for my birthday. I have a budget of $1000 roughly and cannot decide what to buy. I would like to spend MUCH less than that however.
  • I would like to get a Vegabond II for my alien bees.. cause I want to use them outside on shoots instead of the "strobist" setup I'm using now.
  • Nikon 105 f/2 DC
  • Nikon 135 f/2 DC (might be able to squeeze some extra cash for it)
  • Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 OR the sigma version of the 70-200 2.8
  • SB-900 to replace the SB-600 I'm selling right now..
  • Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

Now.. what I was thinking about doing was getting the sb-900 and vegabond II.. that way I could still do the strobist setup for quick shoots, would still have an on camera flash for the rare occasion I need one, and would be able to use my AB800's for more than product shots of things I'm selling. (seriously, I've been considering selling them cause I never use them! Mostly because I never have outlets to use them)

The 105 or 135 would be amazing for portraits and weddings. I love shallow dof and primes <3.

tbo the 80/70-200 f/2.8 would hardly be used.. it just would be nice to have for wedding ceremonies.. I dont like telephoto too much. so, probably not gonna get it. but it is being considered.

24-70 is my favorite focal length.. It really is the best walk around lens. would like to get the nikkor version, but.. too much money. But, at the same time I'm trying to stay away from zooms. What prime would you guys suggest instead of the 24-70?

Meh.. idk.. what are your thoughts? What would you buy with $1000?

If you want to see what I currently have for gear check out the link in my sig.
Jer

Comments

• rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Kind of out of left field but what about the 105mm f/2.8 VR? It's a razor sharp prime and is totally within your budget.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Ok, so.. IDK what to get for my birthday. I have a budget of $1000 roughly and cannot decide what to buy. I would like to spend MUCH less than that however.
    • I would like to get a Vegabond II for my alien bees.. cause I want to use them outside on shoots instead of the "strobist" setup I'm using now.
    • Nikon 105 f/2 DC
    • Nikon 135 f/2 DC (might be able to squeeze some extra cash for it)
    • Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 OR the sigma version of the 70-200 2.8
    • SB-900 to replace the SB-600 I'm selling right now..
    • Sigma 24-70 f/2.8

Now.. what I was thinking about doing was getting the sb-900 and vegabond II.. that way I could still do the strobist setup for quick shoots, would still have an on camera flash for the rare occasion I need one, and would be able to use my AB800's for more than product shots of things I'm selling. (seriously, I've been considering selling them cause I never use them! Mostly because I never have outlets to use them)

The 105 or 135 would be amazing for portraits and weddings. I love shallow dof and primes <3.

tbo the 80/70-200 f/2.8 would hardly be used.. it just would be nice to have for wedding ceremonies.. I dont like telephoto too much. so, probably not gonna get it. but it is being considered.

24-70 is my favorite focal length.. It really is the best walk around lens. would like to get the nikkor version, but.. too much money. But, at the same time I'm trying to stay away from zooms. What prime would you guys suggest instead of the 24-70?

Meh.. idk.. what are your thoughts? What would you buy with $1000?

If you want to see what I currently have for gear check out the link in my sig.

Some excellent primes are available for a lot less than $1000. You could get a fantastic prime + that SB-900! Since it sounds like you are kind of looking for a jack of all trades lens in the portrait department, I think the Nikon 85mm F1.8 is the best balance between price, IQ and focal length for the purposes you're wanting here. It mixes well with portraiture & weddings, and leaves some room for walk around stuff. If you have a 1.6x camera I'd get a 50mm prime.

However, if your priority is walk around, I'd get a 50mm/35@1.6x F1.8. It leaves room for portraits since F1.8 is very thin and is the most convenient length for walk around, plus it leaves room for landscape work.

I recently bought the Canon 50mm F1.4 and I'm using it more than any lens I have at the moment! The 50mm primes are so compact and the IQ is insane for the cost. Its an excellent lens that lets you take your camera EVERYWHERE. The Nikkor would be the same.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Kind of out of left field but what about the 105mm f/2.8 VR? It's a razor sharp prime and is totally within your budget.

I want the buttery smooth bokeh that the 105 DC (defocus control) gives.. I dont want a Macro lens which is what the 2.8 vr is.
    Some excellent primes are available for a lot less than $1000. Since it sounds like you are kind of looking for a jack of all trades lens in the portrait department, I think the Nikon 85mm F1.8 is the best balance between price, IQ and focal length for the purposes you're wanting here. It mixes well with portraiture & weddings, and leaves some room for walk around stuff. If you have a 1.6x camera I'd get a 50mm prime + another item you're wanting on that list since it would = 80mm.

However, if your priority is walk around, I'd get a 50mm/35@1.6x F1.8. It leaves room for portraits since F1.8 is very thin and is the most convenient length for walk around, plus it leaves room for landscape work.

I shoot with a D700 gripped and a 50mm f/1.4G.. so, I shoot FX and already have an amazing 50mm that works well. I dont want a jack of all trades/walk around lens. I want something with a little more reach for portraits so I dont have to be up in their face to get a decent head shot! (I think my last senior was a tad annoyed with me 2 feet from his face) So far the 50mm has worked well for all of my shoots and if I need anything different I rent what I need, but I'm getting sick of renting. It cuts into profits.

Which is why I'm thinking about getting the 105 f/2 DC and the vegabond.. I would have enough for both, and both of my needs/wants would be fulfilled.

This thread is basically me thinking out loud. So, I'm sorry if it feels like I'm not considering your suggestions. I just have already thought about and considered the lenses you both listed, they didn't make my list..

also.. I do not like f/1.8 lenses.. cheap glass, cheap plastic, cheap mount... I need reliable gear. but that is a whole other conversation.
    Jer
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    I want the buttery smooth bokeh that the 105 DC (defocus control) gives.. I dont want a Macro lens which is what the 2.8 vr is.

I shoot with a D700 gripped and a 50mm f/1.4G.. so, I shoot FX and already have an amazing 50mm that works well. I dont want a jack of all trades/walk around lens. I want something with a little more reach for portraits so I dont have to be up in their face to get a decent head shot! (I think my last senior was a tad annoyed with me 2 feet from his face) So far the 50mm has worked well for all of my shoots and if I need anything different I rent what I need, but I'm getting sick of renting. It cuts into profits.

Which is why I'm thinking about getting the 105 f/2 DC and the vegabond.. I would have enough for both, and both of my needs/wants would be fulfilled.

This thread is basically me thinking out loud. So, I'm sorry if it feels like I'm not considering your suggestions. I just have already thought about and considered the lenses you both listed, they didn't make my list..

also.. I do not like f/1.8 lenses.. cheap glass, cheap plastic, cheap mount... I need reliable gear. but that is a whole other conversation.

Whoops I meant f1.4 nikkor xD and that's what you've got
    edited September 10, 2010
    well, I purchased a 105mm f/2D DC.. looking forward to getting that tomorrow (maybe).

Now I just need to get my student discount resubmitted to Paul C Buff so I can buy a Vegabond II :D
    Jer
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    If you decide to sell the B800s, hit me up. I'll be looking for another one soon. :)
  • capitoljayhawkcapitoljayhawk Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    well, I purchased a 105mm f/2D DC.. looking forward to getting that tomorrow (maybe).

Now I just need to get my student discount resubmitted to Paul C Buff so I can buy a Vegabond II :D

How did your 105/2 work out? I read up on this lens after I saw your post. Looks pretty awesome, though some suggest it is difficult to manage.

http://www.gaslightphoto.com

Beginning smugmugger.
    edited February 5, 2011
    How did your 105/2 work out? I read up on this lens after I saw your post. Looks pretty awesome, though some suggest it is difficult to manage.

I switched to Canon so I dont have it anymore, but it was an awesome lens! I never messed with the Defocus Control much because, like others suggest - its difficult to manage. Worth the investment if you do alot of portrait work!
    Jer
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I switched to Canon so I dont have it anymore, but it was an awesome lens! I never messed with the Defocus Control much because, like others suggest - its difficult to manage. Worth the investment if you do alot of portrait work!

Just out of curiosity, what made you switch from the D700?
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800