Options

Photo Editing

2»

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    and , if its indeed an out of the box , real cd , you should not even feel bad about it
    you even paid for it

its a good thing they want to fight piracy , but
    this is an example that the good guys suffer because of the bad guys

and , off-topic , but i say it anyway ;
    i do it the other way around
    i have many software's honestly bought & paid , but i activated them with crack
    just for fun , and because i got sick and tired of all that activating stuff
  • Options
    AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    basflt wrote: »
    and , if its indeed an out of the box , real cd , you should not even feel bad about it
    you even paid for it

its a good thing they want to fight piracy , but
    this is an example that the good guys suffer because of the bad guys

and , off-topic , but i say it anyway ;
    i do it the other way around
    i have many software's honestly bought & paid , but i activated them with crack
    just for fun , and because i got sick and tired of all that activating stuff
    I think thats why the guy gave me my money back so fast? He didn't want me calling Adobe and dropping his name?? Got the CD, going to play with it!!
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Ambrola wrote: »
    I think thats why the guy gave me my money back so fast? He didn't want me calling Adobe and dropping his name?? Got the CD, going to play with it!!

Not saying this will be the case, but just saying that you should be careful installing something you think might be pirated/illegal software! Reason one, is because the people who make the illegal copy can and do install anything they want hidden on the disk, things like keyloggers (to still credit card info), spyware, spammers, etc. Pretty much, they can tweak that program to install whatever they want. Might not be the case, just saying.
    The second thing, is that photoshop will phone home, so unless they disabled this in the software, you IP address (identifys you) will be sent to Adobe, along with the blacklisted key. A IP address is sufficent to sue you if Adobe ever decided to (just like the music industry sued people for downloading pirated music), risk is probably very slim (and your the victim), but just saying incase it were to happen.

My opinion, I dont think it is worth installing suspected pirated software because you run a very high risk of the first issue, of some hidden crap being installed on your computer.
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    I sent the disk back to the seller with a long message. Let him deal with it. I will use GIMP unless I decide to hand out the dough for Adobe, which I proably will later on. Bet your last dollar, I will buy it from them, and no one else. Lesson learned.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
  • Options
    Adobe_AndrewAdobe_Andrew Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I sent the disk back to the seller with a long message. Let him deal with it. I will use GIMP unless I decide to hand out the dough for Adobe, which I proably will later on. Bet your last dollar, I will buy it from them, and no one else. Lesson learned.

Glad you got everything sorted out. I actually work with Adobe and as others have pointed out, there are Adobe CS5 Student and Teacher Editions available for purchase. If you qualify, you can get them for up to 80% off of the retail price. They offer all the functionalities of the full versions...so it's a great way to save money if you qualify.
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    Glad you got everything sorted out. I actually work with Adobe and as others have pointed out, there are Adobe CS5 Student and Teacher Editions available for purchase. If you qualify, you can get them for up to 80% off of the retail price. They offer all the functionalities of the full versions...so it's a great way to save money if you qualify.
    I have since bought Nikons Capture to convert Raw files. I still want Adobe CS5 Extended. If I shell out the money, is it good for two pc's forever, and backed by Adobe's tech staff?? I am not a student, so I will have to buy the expencive one.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    They hhave had the two pc thing for a long time so I don't think it will change, but there is nothing to guarentee it won't change when the next version comes out. I've seen that sort of policy come and go and come and go on various products (not just Adobe) over the years.

The formal support from Adobe is just for 30 days I think and mainly for install issues. The various free forums (like here) give really good support.

If you want support directly from Adobe you have to buy a subscription to it. In the past when I was doing a lot a stuff with Adobe products I did have one of their support subscriptions and found their support to be good and faster and with better follow up than what I got from the forums. For general stuff "like how do I do this or that" their answers were not really better than forum answers, just faster. When weird things happened though Adobe answers were better than the forums. I think I paid a few hundred dollars a year to cover all Adobe products.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2010
    Also Lynda.com and Kelbytraining.com have fairly inexpensive online training for Adobe products.
    I have since bought Nikons Capture to convert Raw files. I still want Adobe CS5 Extended. If I shell out the money, is it good for two pc's forever, and backed by Adobe's tech staff?? I am not a student, so I will have to buy the expencive one.
  • Options
    tatetate Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Hello! I have been thinking of making the jump from Elements 6, to Photoshop. Someone suggested to me about getting Photoshop cs4.....It would be a little less money than CS5, so thought maybe its a good place to start? My question is can I do most of the same things on cs4 as on Cs5? Or should I just save up and just buy CS5? I was primarily interested in masks...can those be done on CS4 as well?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 7, 2010
    Yes, CS 4 will do masks.

What cameras do you use? CS 5 does offer Raw conversion on some cameras that CS 4 has not been updated for.

Unless CS 4 is a lot cheaper, I would prefer to own CS 5, myself.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2010
    Elements 9 also does masks and is a lot cheaper.
    I'd download the demo versions of each and see what your needs are.
  • Options
    Adobe_AndrewAdobe_Andrew Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    If you're looking to try before you buy, here is a link to the trial versions. Are you a student or teacher by any chance?
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2010
    If you're looking to try before you buy, here is a link to the trial versions. Are you a student or teacher by any chance?

What has always bothered me is that I have never made anywhere close to what a teacher does but they get the BIG discount regardless what they teach and I am priced out.

I have seen both and unless the interface has changed I found Elements cluttered. The old disk from when I used PhotoShop SE Version 5 is around somewhere and it had as clean an interface and full PhotoShop just some features missing.