McCoy Mill HDR - pushing limits?

red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
edited September 9, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I spotted this mill from the car while driving out to go backpacking over the long weekend. It's been abandoned - was a bed & breakfast not too long past, but was fun to poke around. I wish the wheel was more visible, or that I could have gotten further away for this one.

HDR:
998489083_WvVwE-L.jpg

Same image, desaturated, cropped, and flare cloned out:
998836915_n7Xjs-L.jpg

I need to work on cloning, I can see some repeats in pattern.

Comments

• red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    I don't mind the rays, but could someone tell me how to avoid the orange slice sunspots? My 18-55 lens doesn't have the bayonett grooves to attach my hood...
    To me, the rays dont look bad. For the rest of the sun spot in the second shot, I would select the spot (draw a selection line around it or whatever), and try turning down the red saturation till it goes away.
    And, the only way to avoid those sun spots, is to shoot with the sun to your back, so it is lighting what your shooting at also. At the very least, dont shoot towards the sun, when the sun will be shooting down at a angle towards your lens. You could also try aiming your lens down some to try to block some of the sun, also giving less sky and more foreground. It is tough trying to shoot at that time of day, and sometimes your only option is to come back in the morning or evening when the sun isnt direct overhead.
    Since the building probably isnt going anywere, if you could, I would probably give it another try. I did notice the wheel, and I would love to see it! :D
    Todd - My Photos
    edited September 8, 2010
    Racer - thanks. I was thinking of ways to shade the lens without the hood - I kind of like the rays in this shot but not the flare... I guess it's going to be pretty hard to get one but not the other!

Re-shoots: Possible I suppose, but it's about a 4-hour drive from my house. I'd love to go out with some pruners and free up that wheel a little more! (and, hey, it's for sale, I could just buy it and go photograph it whenever I want... right... in my dreams)
    Make your own lens hood....somewhere on here is a tute on doing so...then you attach by rubber band or velcro.............
    or go to a camera store and get a push on rubber hood...you'll need to try them out by setting y9u lens at its
    widest and shoot a shot to see if there is any vignetting ...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited September 8, 2010
    thanks Art. I'll have to experiment with that for my wide zoom.
    I like the second version. The rays are cool, the saturatin is better, and thankfully, you've removed that nasty orange blob. Its really nice!