Options

monitor true color

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited September 2, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
whats the best & cheapest way to calibrate your monitor for photo finish colors?
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited August 31, 2005
    chrisjlee wrote:
    whats the best & cheapest way to calibrate your monitor for photo finish colors?
    The monitor calibration spyder thingies are getting very cheap, dipping well below $100 now. As far as best - I can't answer that one. Make sure whatever you get will work for your monitor type (LCD type for LCD's, etc.)

Hopefully, someone will help out here with their experiences. Did you try searching the forums here? We have covered this subject before several times.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    chrisjlee wrote:
    Cheapest: Software + your eyes, such as Adobe Gamma, and other freware/shareware utilities. My nvidia driver includes a decent monitor calibration utility. Use these to create a calibrated profile that you keep loaded via your video card.

Best: I would say a hardware calibration tool. It still uses a profile, but creates it via a precise measurement, rather than eyeballing the best match.
    I just picked up a Spyder2Pro, but their other models are very inexpensive.
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    I use the Monaco system
    I use the Monaco Optix calibration software with a Monaco colorimeter ("hockey puck" color sensor). It's not the cheapest (I think it ran ~$200 discounted, which is more than the Spyder), but it sure ain't the most expensive, either (some pro models run well over a grand). I think I bought it instead of the Spyder because the reviews seemed to favor it. And by golly, it works -- which is the most important thing.

I haven't used another system, so am not qualified to really compare and contrast 'em.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...