Photo of my girl: Not in Bikini

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited September 9, 2010 in People
I didn't want any perverts looking. :wink

Anyway, here is a shot of "The Thing" in her stroller. I would have liked to change the angle a bit, but the The Thing let me know the shoot was over.

320_1324.jpg
D300 with 10.5

Comments

• blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    funnyiloveyou.gif
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2010
    Very cool....what is the "thing" you speak of?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Very cool....what is the "thing" you speak of?

I believe "The Thing" is the child? Cool Shot!
    Jer
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Thanks! Yes, The Thing is the kid. That was my first choice for a name, but it was vetoed by someone with more clout than me in the "Department of Naming." hehe

I super clamped an extendable boom on the stroller and spun it around a bit. Lots of cool possibilities with this.

Thanks for commenting.
  • HurmeHurme Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Bit more light on the kid and this would be superb. Very good as it is already though.
    edited September 8, 2010
    I agree about the light. However, the Boss has some issues with too much flash on the baby, and given the situation, I wasn't able to rig up anything indirect. But in the future, there will be lots of opportunities I'm sure. I also don't have another boom!

Thanks for the comments!
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Is this essentially the same set up you had on the SP bike shot you posted a while back? Cool image.
    edited September 8, 2010
    Hello, since people are asking, I'll explain in a bit more detail about this shot.

Yes, this is essentially the same setup as the bike shot and the not so great bus shot I posted a while back, minus the flash.

I use a super clamp and some sort of clamp thing to clamp an extendable boom or something to the stroller frame. On that is mounted my tripod head with the D300 and fishey lens. To trigger the camera I use a pocket wizar. . . erm, a really long remote shutter cord, which I think is about 13 feet long. This is run down the boom, under the stroller and up the frame so that it is out of sight.

I set the camera to manual and tried different shutter speeds. The problem is that Thing moves around a lot so longer shutter speeds were a problem. I ended up using 0.6th second/F10 ISO200 for the shot above. I didn't have to spin the stroller around that fast actually, and just fired off a string of shots on the "high speed drive" mode.

There was very little post processing done on this shot. Just basic levels.

I rather enjoy these kinds of shots. I'd post a setup shot, but its rather late so if people are still interested, I'll post the setup shot tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!
  • Crystal EveCrystal Eve Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Hello, since people are asking, I'll explain in a bit more detail about this shot.

Yes, this is essentially the same setup as the bike shot and the not so great bus shot I posted a while back, minus the flash.

I use a super clamp and some sort of clamp thing to clamp an extendable boom or something to the stroller frame. On that is mounted my tripod head with the D300 and fishey lens. To trigger the camera I use a pocket wizar. . . erm, a really long remote shutter cord, which I think is about 13 feet long. This is run down the boom, under the stroller and up the frame so that it is out of sight.

I set the camera to manual and tried different shutter speeds. The problem is that Thing moves around a lot so longer shutter speeds were a problem. I ended up using 0.6th second/F10 ISO200 for the shot above. I didn't have to spin the stroller around that fast actually, and just fired off a string of shots on the "high speed drive" mode.

There was very little post processing done on this shot. Just basic levels.

I rather enjoy these kinds of shots. I'd post a setup shot, but its rather late so if people are still interested, I'll post the setup shot tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!

I would love to see a set up shot! Thank you for explaining your process. I would love to experiment with this technique. Any info you have would be helpful!
    Boudoir | Wedding | Portrait | Automotive

Website | Facebook | Email
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Cool! Great effect.
    edited September 9, 2010

700_2754.jpg
    700_2758.jpg

700_2761.jpg
    Here is the setup.
    First of all, my set up is using what I have. There are better, worse, simpler, more complicated, and more elegant setups and mounting solutions out there, so do a bit of searching and testing.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Anyway. . .
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Superclamp is mounted to stroller. These are very useful as they clamp to many things.
    To this I’ve got what I think is known as an Eccentric cam. These come in many flavors each with 4 holes. I’ve got lots of these since no one cam fits everything. Also, the one I use to hold the camera is all metal with teeth.
    Then some extendable rod with a ¼ and 3/8<SUP>th</SUP> screw ends
    Tripod head
    Then camera.
    Remote cord (not pictured) is 13 feet long and I just hide it out of site.
    I shoot all manual for these shots when I can so that nothing changes. Shutter priority is probably the next best.
    What I think would work, and be even better, would be a “magic arm.” I’ve never seen one of these in person but I think they would be a lot more flexible if they can handle the weight.
    Anyway, hope this helps. If you have more questions, let me know.