Options

Ecola view

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited September 13, 2010 in Landscapes
this is the view of Cannon Beach, on the Oregon coast, looking south from Ecola state park... 5D, 24-135 @ 31mm, 1/160 @ f/11

EcolaViewsm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Options
    mtnskimtnski Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Very nice scene and nicely captured. Have you considered cropping the top to take the horizon out of the centre third of the image? Looks light a slight rotation to the right is in order.

Owen
    Images of our world http://owenkilgour.com/
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    mtnski wrote: »
    Very nice scene and nicely captured. Have you considered cropping the top to take the horizon out of the centre third of the image? Looks light a slight rotation to the right is in order.

Owen

i thought about it, but if i do, the image ratio will make it difficult to print properly. it wouldn't be long enough for a good pano, and too wide for a normal print. the horizon is level, it's the shoreline that makes it look tilted.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

• Options
    LottimagoLottimago Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2010
    Great shot. I'm thinking it would look even better in black and white.:D
  • Options
    nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    love it.
    Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2010
    not sure i care as much for the B&W... it's interesting, but i like the color version better...

ecola view, sm B&W.jpg
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    squirl033 wrote:
    not sure i care as much for the B&W... it's interesting, but i like the color version better...

The trees on the left are a bit too dark in this channel/image (I'm assuming bumping up the green channel and taking down the blue and/or red is what would be needed here.) and the contrast between the layers of mountains and the fog in the back is a bit less in this b&w version compared to the color version. The water is a bit dark too, but I suspect that if you mix the channels in such a way as to brighten the trees on the left, you'll improve the water.

Those are my two cents at least -- I think this has a lot of potential as a black and white, but yes -- the color is spectacular! thumb.gif
  • Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I really like the first one Rocky!! It captures the feel of the Oregon Coast very well.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010
    thanks, Ron.

i really liked the way all the lines seemed to work together... the curves of the surf, the sand, and the headlands all seem to nest together, and the sweep of the shorline is perfectly followed by the line of clouds... the whole thing just seems to lead your eye through the image from left to right and front to back.
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 11, 2010
    Nice shot! So that's what the entire beach looks like. I love the way that heavy cloud bank follows the shore and the mountain range, almost down to the sea.
  • Options
    coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Nice composition from a beautiful viewpoint.
  • Options
    WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Fabulous! I wouldn't change a thing.

I especially love that incredible sky, and the reflection of the clouds in the water.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2010
    thanks, guys. when the weather cooperates, this is one of the most spectacular views anywhere on the Oregon coast... and that's saying something!
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night