Late Afternoon Forest

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited September 11, 2010 in Landscapes
997210665_23tDx-XL.jpg

C&C Always Appreciated :D

Comments

• mtnskimtnski Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    I like the composition of this shot with the balance between the foliage on the trees and on the ground. The colours however look rather over processed. Looks like you had some nice light to work with, with more subtle processing you would have a pleasing image.

Owen
    Images of our world http://owenkilgour.com/
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    mtnski wrote: »
    I like the composition of this shot with the balance between the foliage on the trees and on the ground. The colours however look rather over processed. Looks like you had some nice light to work with, with more subtle processing you would have a pleasing image.

Owen

Thanks for your comments :D I have to ask -- Over processed as in over-saturated or as in too much contrast between the different colors or as in wrong color palette for the image?

Karl
  • IronCircusIronCircus Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2010
    I think the colors look over-saturated but I love the picture all together. Looks very peaceful.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    i agree... crank the saturation down, and this becomes a much more pleasing image.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited September 8, 2010
    Thank you all for your comments -- you helped me figure out what I just couldn't put my finger on with this one.

Here it is with the saturation reduced a good bit:

1000269255_G28du-XL.jpg

Thoughts?
  • mtnskimtnski Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Thats a definite improvement. It was mostly the saturation in the greens that did not work for me. How about taking the image from your original post and just reducing the green a bit? This was the foliage would look more natural but you would retain more of the original warmth in the light and trees.
    Images of our world http://owenkilgour.com/
  • elimorelimor Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2010
    Wow I am really impressed by this picture. It looks like an enchanted forest. I like the colors of it. I would definitely print it as a poster and hang it up as a picture in my flat. I think such pictures are always very decorative. Unfortunately I am not a good photographer.
    edited September 11, 2010
    elimor wrote: »
    Wow I am really impressed by this picture. It looks like an enchanted forest. I like the colors of it. I would definitely print it as a poster and hang it up as a picture in my flat. I think such pictures are always very decorative. Unfortunately I am not a good photographer.

Thank you for your kind words! With a lot of practice and educating yourself on the technical and artistic aspects of photography, you will see a large improvement in your work. Hanging around these forums and asking questions and getting critiques is a great way to improve as there is always something new to learn. :D

I've taken the original and dropped the green on it just a bit to get:

1003127173_BgJKY-XL.jpg

The warmth of the light is definitely still in the image, but I kind of like the desaturated version at this point. Thoughts?