Baylor & Broden

christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
edited September 11, 2010 in People
Hi everyone! This was my very first attempt at portraits. A co-worker asked me if I could take a few photos of her family and what would I charge? I told her I was a landscape photographer and had never photographed people. Since I just got my very first flash, I thought I'd give it a try. I warned her - you might get what you pay for - nothing! I'd never feel comfortable charging for something I have no experience in.

Here are my favorite shots. All comments appreciated!

995676294_BkGZo-L.jpg

995845090_igfTw-L.jpg

3. I need to crop or clone the top edges out of this one, but will wait until I know what size to crop it.
996277277_qk5KJ-L.jpg

996312164_nDpys-L.jpg

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Overall a pretty good first attempt at portraits. I'm no expert so take these with a grain of salt.

The poses themselves aren't bad but in all cases I think they need less flash. The color tones are best in #2 but the others are a little cool. When shooting outside the natural light should dominate with just enough flash to fill the shadows, not create them. It would also help greatly to move your flash off camera for indoor shots to make more natural shadows.

Hope this helps.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    Cute kiddos.
    A fairly good first attempt, I agree on the flash off camera would enhance the close range indoors portraits.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Clixphoto wrote: »
    Overall a pretty good first attempt at portraits. I'm no expert so take these with a grain of salt.

The poses themselves aren't bad but in all cases I think they need less flash. The color tones are best in #2 but the others are a little cool. When shooting outside the natural light should dominate with just enough flash to fill the shadows, not create them. It would also help greatly to move your flash off camera for indoor shots to make more natural shadows.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciated it.
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Cute kiddos.
    A fairly good first attempt, I agree on the flash off camera would enhance the close range indoors portraits.

Thank you!
  • trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Really like the colors and composition in #2