Help Me Frame A Print

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited September 12, 2010 in People
Hey all! So I did this shoot a few weeks back with a good friend of mine and her awesome family and gave them digital files, but I was thinking they might really like a top quality framed print as well. Now framing is something I have done very little of, but I know a good frame can really turn a good photo into something incredible for the wall, so I'm wanting to learn more about this stuff. Can anyone offer advice on how you might frame maybe an 11x14 of this photo, and explain some reasons why you might go with what you suggest? Or tell me if I'm taking this too seriously and I should just slap a matte on in and put it in a frame... :rofl

Selects from the shoot are here if interested: http://www.azimuthadventure.com/People/Sim-and-Moriah/

973269757_iaTsa-L.jpg
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2010
    First thought that comes to mind is simple black modern frame. I think this will keep the portrait as the center of attention.
    Maybe 1" wide framing material
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    I just went through the same process recently.

First up was a 16 x 20 canvas wrap. Long story, short. I was fortunate to go through the stretching and finishing process with the person that printed it for me. It's roughly half the cost if you are willing to do this yourself.

I have to say there is something about canvas, perhaps it appears to be more of an art piece ??

To compare I tried different sizes of framed prints on paper with mats. Your traditional prints @ 8 x 10, 11 x 14, 11 x 17 and two images in a 11 x 17 frame.

This is a snap shot of the results....

Framecomparisons.jpg

My conclusions, as a woodworker you would think I would go for a fancy wood frame. Not.

A slim black metal frame is enough to separate the image from the surroundings without becoming another element in the presentation.

I found I prefer a wide mat, 2" to 3" depending on the size, a 1" wide mat doesn't do it for me and I didn't care for two images in a frame with a narrow mat.

Total size is another thing to think about, I think a 11 x 14 image in a 16 x 20 frame is big enough to have a presence and small enough to fit almost anywhere in a home.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Don
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Thanks guys, that's exactly the responses I was looking for. I think I'll try a nice sleek black frame and maybe a canvas as well, and see how those look. Browsing the framing stores I see thousands of choices in ways to frame, but I've never been too enthusiastic about the fancy wood ones either.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com