Options

Death Valley in Dec.

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited December 23, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
Folks...

I'll be in Las Vegas in early Dec. and I am planing a trip out to Death Valley after the work is over.

Does anyone have suggestions regarding places to check out (a) along the way and (b) once in the NP area? I plan on staying at Stovepipe Wells (unless someone has a better recommendation) and would be interested in suggestions on some lesser visited, off the tourist path, locations to check out for some photo ops.

Suggestions and recommendations welcomed!!

Comments

• Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Well, if you're staying at Stovepipe Wells, you might want to check out Mosaic Canyon. It's close by and a neat place to hike and take pictures.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited September 12, 2010
    Sunrise at the sand dunes in Death Valley can be spectacular.

I would consider Death Valley to be a very underutilized park; you won't have a problem finding places without other people. Stop by the visitor center and pick up the handout on hikes. Also ask the rangers for information on additional hikes - there is more information available than the standard hand-out.

While you're in Las Vegas, I also recommend visiting Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area - http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2010
    Thanks!
    Denise:

Many thanks for your suggestions!

I'll check it out.
  • Options
    Thanks
    AZFred...

I hadn't thought about Mosaic Canyon, I'll look into it as were always looking for new places and hiking ops.

Thanks!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    If you're staying at Stovepipe Wells - I just noticed a notification on their web site at http://www.stovepipewells.com/ that there was a fire in the restaurant there. The notice indicated that there would be no lunch or dinner service but that sandwiches and snacks would be available at the general store. There was no indication on the site as to how long they will be without a restaurant there, might be worth a phone call to check.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2010
    Hi Denise:

Thanks! I noticed that too when I was searching the site. We may have to bring our own food!

Hope the weather is good. We are hoping to go out at night, away from light sources, to shoot some star trails and etc.

I would hope such "dark areas" are available, accessible and won't pose any problems reaching or anyone bothering us while we are out late at night.

Thanks again for your post.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 5, 2010
    El Gato wrote: »
    I would hope such "dark areas" are available, accessible and won't pose any problems reaching or anyone bothering us while we are out late at night.
    Oh gosh, that will most definitely NOT be an issue. You'll have thousands of square miles of blackness and solitude to select from. Best place in the US to photograph stars I reckon.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2010
    How much time will you have and what kind of vehicle will you be driving?

Can you spend a night out of the motel?

For a change of pace you could consider staying at the Amargoa Opera House just outside the park.

The race track is great, but a little rough to get to.

I also like salt springs, but you need to hike past the board walk.

The dunes at stovepipe wells has the best sunrise and sunset. Just hike out a ways.

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Thanks Sam!
    Sam...

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

How much time will you have and what kind of vehicle will you be driving?
    I hope to spend about four-five days and I'll be renting a 4x4 in Vegas.

Timing may be changed as it looks like now, I might be headed there 3 Jan. through 5 or 6 Jan. Not sure if this is a good time to go or not, now that the schedule seems to be changing on me.

Can you spend a night out of the motel?

I'm flexible and can go pretty much anywhere, especially if it entails an "experience."

For a change of pace you could consider staying at the Amargoa Opera House just outside the park.

Will do!!

The race track is great, but a little rough to get to.

I also like salt springs, but you need to hike past the board walk.

The dunes at stovepipe wells has the best sunrise and sunset. Just hike out a ways.

I'll look into each of these, thanks Sam!!
  • Options
    aguntheragunther Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    My favs
    If you have a 4wd, I would check out the Racetrack:
    http://ca.myphotoscout.com/2010/04/22/how-to-photograph-the-death-valley-racetrack/
    You will probably need the better part of a day to head out, take shots and come back, but its well worth it.

Start early and see Scotties Castle, Teakettle Junction and Lost Burro Mine:
    http://ca.myphotoscout.com/2010/04/27/how-to-photograph-the-lost-burro-mine-in-death-valley/
    on the same day

Another Day I would go to Darwin:
    http://ca.myphotoscout.com/2010/06/10/how-to-photograph-darwin/
    , Darwin Falls and Aguereberry Point:
    http://ca.myphotoscout.com/2010/02/02/how-to-photograph-aguereberry-point/

and Aguereberry Camp:
    http://ca.myphotoscout.com/2009/04/14/how-to-photograph-harrisburg-ghost-town/
    (maybe Skidoo if too if you have sufficient time)

One day to do the usual suspects (Dunes early in the morning, Zabriskie Point in the Evening, Badwater and the Salt Flats in the Afternoon.

I would also take a detour to Lone Pine and the fantastically beautiful Alabama Hills:
    http://ca.myphotoscout.com/2010/06/23/how-to-photograph-the-alabama-hills/

This is me near Racetrack early this year:
    rooftop-tent-ford-escape-hybrid.jpg

dinner-in-the-wild.jpg

We had a blast in the middle of nowhere under a clear sky.
    I wish I had 5 days to go again, although this time of the year I wouldn't want to sleep out :D. I am sure you will have a hell of a good time.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2010
    I am going to have to remember Alabama Hills!

Sam
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited December 5, 2010
    Death Valley is one of the nicest places to visit in winter. Be aware that as there are temperature extremes in summer, so too are these extremes in winter. It can be quite cold at night--dress appropriately :D

The Sand Dunes, Charcoal Kilns, Artist's Drive, Devil's Golf Course, Scotty's Castle, Zabriskie Point. If you have time, a drive up Titus Canyon is worth it--you can make this in any high clearance vehicle. I think the Race Track is worth the drive...it can be a little tough on the car though :D

836297457_T6dS2-S.jpg
    Notice the missing grill--if you find it, I don't need it back :D

On Marc Muench's Death Valley Workshop, we had dinner at Furnace Creek and that was very nice. Lots of history there and I think well worth a visit for dinner or maybe brunch.

Speaking of food. The sandwich collection at the general store isn't the best. There's a good selection of snack stuff. You might want to load up before you go.

Have a great time and looking forward to seeing your shots!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2010
    Thnaks!!
    Thanks for the insights and tips.

Much appreciated!!
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2010
    I agree with everyone's recommendations, be sure to add the Artists Palette (very close to the Devils Golf Course)

1097225694_EnNbs-L.jpg

It changes with the light, so try it in the morning and evening. Also some neat caves hidden in there if you look for them

1096509759_BoVPW-L.jpg

Keep a flashlight handy though...

Also if you visit Red Rock Canyon, drive past the park a ways (a mile or two) to some other neat locations that are simply breathtaking.
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2010
    Death Valley - next time
    To all that replied and posted some fantastic insights, helpful tips and very useful recommendations...THANK YOU ALL clap.gif

I have to report that unfortunately 36 hours prior to leaving for the trip, I was reassigned to another gig, and the long anticipate, much awaited trip to NV never occurred. I was sent instead to the East Coast, with no opportunity to bring along any equipment (read emergency reassignment).

Alas, I lost the opportunity (at least for 2010) to spend time at Death Valley.

The site is still high on my go to list but, I'll have to wait some more.

I'll certainly retain all of the great information everyone has provided and again say thanks for taking the time to share this information!

Happy trails and a safe and prosperous New Year to all.
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Too bad
    sorry to read that you couldn't make the DV trip after all, but do keep it high on your visit list, as it is an awesome place to see and photograph!
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    If you're staying at Stovepipe Wells - I just noticed a notification on their web site at http://www.stovepipewells.com/ that there was a fire in the restaurant there. The notice indicated that there would be no lunch or dinner service but that sandwiches and snacks would be available at the general store. There was no indication on the site as to how long they will be without a restaurant there, might be worth a phone call to check.

--- Denise

Kitchen was re-opened last week Dec 16/17, 2010. kdog and I tried to eat there the weekdned before (closed) but it opened the day I stopped by.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited December 23, 2010
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    Kitchen was re-opened last week Dec 16/17, 2010. kdog and I tried to eat there the weekdned before (closed) but it opened the day I stopped by.

How was the food?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?