Options

ISO too high

durazzidurazzi Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited September 11, 2010 in Technique
So...in a complete bonehead move on my part, I shot daylight/outdoors/partly-sunny weather, at 1600 ISO. Any tips for correcting some of the grain in these shots?

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    durazzi wrote: »
    So...in a complete bonehead move on my part, I shot daylight/outdoors/partly-sunny weather, at 1600 ISO. Any tips for correcting some of the grain in these shots?

If you'll post some of your examples, it may help folks to see more clearly your level of aid needed.
    tom wise
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 10, 2010
    Some camera's files, shot in RAW at ISO 1600, properly exposed without any under exposure, can be just fine. I shoot my 7D and my 50D that way often. An ISO 1600 file from a D70 may not be that forgiving however.

Post a couple photos and let folks take a gander at the damage. Tell us you did shoot these images in RAW, please.

While the new noise management in CS5, LR3 is a great help, for really noisy images, NoiseWare is still your best of friends..... Do it selectively on an adjustment layer too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote: »
    ... Do it selectively on an adjustment layer too.

?? Mind expanding on that thought for me? you mean so you can then blend layers?

thanks,

(ps: Maybe the OP will get back to his thread)
    tom wise
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    angevin1 wrote: »
    ?? Mind expanding on that thought for me? you mean so you can then blend layers?

thanks,

Yup, if it's heavy duty NR going on, you could just reduce the darker areas and mask them in...leaving the better exposed sections with less/no NR and keep sharpness.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    angevin1 wrote: »

thanks,

As Gecko said, you can do noise reduction in a selected portion of the image, frequently the lower quarter tones where most of the noise lives. I frequently do it in the blue sky portion of a landscape only as well.

Take your background layer, hit ctrl-j to create a duplicate layer, select the sky either with the Quick Select tool or the Color Select menu, and then hit ctrl-j to duplicate the selection only as a third layer. Run NoiseWare on Noise Ninja or Denoise 5 to kill the noise as needed, and then blend this layer back with the lower layer using the Opacity slider to control the final amount. This will kill the noise in the sky ( or whatever was selected ) and not affect the other areas of the image not needing noise reduction at all. Easy Peasy.

• Options
    edited September 11, 2010
    As Gecko said, you can do noise reduction in a selected portion of the image, frequently the lower quarter tones where most of the noise lives. I frequently do it in the blue sky portion of a landscape only as well.

Take your background layer, hit ctrl-j to create a duplicate layer, select the sky either with the Quick Select tool or the Color Select menu, and then hit ctrl-j to duplicate the selection only as a third layer. Run NoiseWare on Noise Ninja or Denoise 5 to kill the noise as needed, and then blend this layer back with the lower layer using the Opacity slider to control the final amount. This will kill the noise in the sky ( or whatever was selected ) and not affect the other areas of the image not needing noise reduction at all. Easy Peasy.

CooL. I just got the CS suite this year, and haven't gotten much time with the PS aspects yet. SOunds like you're saying I can run instances of Noiseware within PS...I will try it.

Many-Thanks to you and Gecko0 for the advice!thumb.gifthumb
    tom wise
  • Options
    Yes, I am referring to the NoiseWare plug in, not the stand alone version.

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    October issue of PRO PHOTO has an article on beating noise with layer stacks........
    I just picked up my mags for the month and have not touched that one yet.

so much to do but not enuff hours in the day.........Whew................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Yes, I am referring to the NoiseWare plug in, not the stand alone version.

I have the stand alone, and haven't even broached the plug-in's available!
    tom wise