Following Yuri

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 1, 2005 in People
She works at my favorite sandwich place called "Tikka Grill", and she has a most amazing pair of a *naturally black* (well, very-very dark gray) eyes.
I finally managed to get her agreement to let me take a couple shots of her. One is here:

34227869-L.jpg
She seemed to be a little nervous and tense posing for me in front of all her peers and customers :-). I hope after she sees her picture the next iteration would be more relaxed.

Let me know what you think!
Cheers!:1drink
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Hi Nik,

the composition is good, I dig it, I also like the natural lighting from the side. I would have used a slight fill-flash though. First of all to get more catch light, preferrably centered in the pupil and second of all to get the other half of that beautiful face more evenly lit mwink.gif

Nice shot Nik!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Is "Tikka Grill" in Thousand Oaks? If so, I'll have to try it for lunch sometime.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Thanks. Michiel!
    Hi Nik,

the composition is good, I dig it, I also like the natural lighting from the side. I would have used a slight fill-flash though. First of all to get more catch light, preferrably centered in the pupil and second of all to get the other half of that beautiful face more evenly lit mwink.gif

Nice shot Nik!
    I'm still not totally comfortable with the new camera, and I didn't use its flash at all. Need to learn how to do it soon, though.:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited August 31, 2005
    Yes, basically
    PeterGar wrote:
    Is "Tikka Grill" in Thousand Oaks? If so, I'll have to try it for lunch sometime.
    I don't know if it TO or WV, but it's right here...

Steak sandwiches are the best!!!
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm still not totally comfortable with the new camera, and I didn't use its flash at all. Need to learn how to do it soon, though.:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Did you get an external flash for your new cam? A 420 EX isn't that large and a very fine piece of flash for the 20D!

You have permission to take a portrait of me with your 20D at Zion mwink.gif (of course I've taken it into consideration that you know all the ins and outs by then mwink.gif)
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I don't know if it TO or WV, but it's right here...

Steak sandwiches are the best!!!
    Across the street from Costco. I'm definitely going to check it out since it's right by my work.
    edited August 31, 2005
    It's on the B-list
    Did you get an external flash for your new cam? A 420 EX isn't that large and a very fine piece of flash for the 20D!

You have permission to take a portrait of me with your 20D at Zion mwink.gif (of course I've taken it into consideration that you know all the ins and outs by then mwink.gif)
    I can use (and did use on prior occasions) Sunpak 555EX. It sure is huge but it's powerfull, too.

I think I'll get nicer lenses/tripod first.

And, btw, I just figured out how to use the fill flashclap.gif

Cheers!
    edited August 31, 2005
    Hey, you are local too?
    PeterGar wrote:
    Across the street from Costco. I'm definitely going to check it out since it's right by my work.
    I thought only DavidTO and me are from this area..
    How about meeting at Tikka next time for lunch? I'm a regular there.. and I work really close, here... We can PM each other. My usual time is about 11:30, to beat the crowd..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I thought only DavidTO and me are from this area..
    How about meeting at Tikka next time for lunch? I'm a regular there.. and I work really close, here... We can PM each other. My usual time is about 11:30, to beat the crowd..

Cheers!1drink.gif
    Should I bring my camera?
    edited August 31, 2005
    Why not..
    PeterGar wrote:
    Should I bring my camera?
    What we can do: we can grab our food to go (they are SUPER fast) and then go to a park. We often go to the park on the Kanan and Hollytree dr. It's only a few minutes drive, it's a great park, they have pond (bottom of the airshot) with ducks, fish and turtles, or just sit in a nice grassy hilly area (upper part).

So we can eat, chat and do some shutn'thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    What we can do: we can grab our food to go (they are SUPER fast) and then go to a park. We often go to the park on the Kanan and Hollytree dr. It's only a few minutes drive, it's a great park, they have pond (bottom of the airshot) with ducks, fish and turtles, or just sit in a nice grassy hilly area (upper part).

So we can eat, chat and do some shutn'thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif

Nik, you're cheating on me. I don't cotton to cheaters...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited August 31, 2005
    How could I..
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nik, you're cheating on me. I don't cotton to cheaters...
    I suspected you're not gonna drive all the way from Hollywood back to TO just to grab a quick bite.. But if you do - it's gonna be a wonderfull photo-three-someiloveyou.gif
    edited August 31, 2005
    Sounds good to me! I came across a little park near the lake last week that I've been wanting to take my camera to on my lunch break. This is gonna be fun!
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    Nik!
    Congratulations, Nikolai!
    Very good start!
    As for the 'nervous' sometimes its hard to understand who's more 'nervous' photographer or his 'model' ...
    These times are waiting for you on your way to portraits photographer... :-)
    But... all things must pass... so if YOU will be more self-confident, sure of wonderful final result (I mean photo), this feeling will pass to your model, and she will become 'relax'.
    I sometimes use my trick - make about 10-50 shots (as a rule they are very bad), say good-bye but... then
    after some time return and after some 'persuading'
    (lost data... so on) make another seria...
    This time the 'model' (as a rule) is relaxed - she/he 's tired of you...
    Try...
    Spasibo and congrats,
    Yuri
    edited September 1, 2005
    Congratulations, Nikolai!
    Very good start!
    As for the 'nervous' sometimes its hard to understand who's more 'nervous' photographer or his 'model' ...
    These times are waiting for you on your way to portraits photographer... :-)
    But... all things must pass... so if YOU will be more self-confident, sure of wonderful final result (I mean photo), this feeling will pass to your model, and she will become 'relax'.
    I sometimes use my trick - make about 10-50 shots (as a rule they are very bad), say good-bye but... then
    after some time return and after some 'persuading'
    (lost data... so on) make another seria...
    This time the 'model' (as a rule) is relaxed - she/he 's tired of you...
    Try...
    Spasibo and congrats,
    Yuri
    Wise words from the master. I'll be sure to try this strategy. I can't afford not to. Thanks for the wisdom Yuri!
    edited September 1, 2005
    Yuri, spasibo!
    Interesting "relaxation" technique..thumb.gif

I also need to talk more, which I have to force myself into since I'm trying to concentrate on all the technical aspects (settings, light, composition - you know), which is, of course, a totally dead time for a model.

It's also relieving - for me:-) to know that you are normally taking few dozen shots. In this case I only took two:-) I guess this is another thing I need to force myself into - shoot a lot, especially since my 20D provides almost zero lag even in RAW+JPEG mode.

Good to hear from you!

Cheers!1drink.gif