Options

LIGHTROOM3: Noise Reduction on import

Vonne AVonne A Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 9, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi all,

I'm new to LR3, and am wondering if anyone can tell me if it's possible to apply noise reduction to an import, or to apply to all pics post-import.

Also, am new to nighttime lowlight action. Got talked into team photographer for son's football team. It's horrible lighting to say the least. I'm shooting with a 5dmk2 and canon 70-200 2.8 IS. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I cannot use flash. I have a great monopod, and prefer to shoot without it, but will use it if suggestions indicate this would be better than the IS. I've read so many bits and all say something different. Read somewhere that I could shoot HS football at 2.8 with 1600 iso and 250shutter. Didn't happen that way for me. So with frustration, I lay my humble woes at your feet and will be grateful for any direction.

Many thanks!

Vonne

Comments

• Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    You can apply a preset to all images on import, so you could create a preset that applies certain levels of noise reduction, and then in the import dialog box specify that preset to be applied to all pics.

You can also change the default settings of any Lightroom tool, including NR.

I remember reading a post from Jeff Schewe on the Adobe boards (that I can't find now) that implied that the NR sliders scaled based on ISO-- so 25 luminance @ ISO 1600 was different from 25 luminance @ ISO 3200.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Not only can you apply this on import as an initial default, you can build a group of settings based on ISO! That is, the ISO detected will apply a different setting which is kind of cool. When you create your LR “default” user presets, you have an option to apply based on ISO. Here’s how from one slide in a Presentation of mine.
    ISO.jpg
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010
    Thanks so much!

MarkR wrote: »
    You can apply a preset to all images on import, so you could create a preset that applies certain levels of noise reduction, and then in the import dialog box specify that preset to be applied to all pics.

You can also change the default settings of any Lightroom tool, including NR.

I remember reading a post from Jeff Schewe on the Adobe boards (that I can't find now) that implied that the NR sliders scaled based on ISO-- so 25 luminance @ ISO 1600 was different from 25 luminance @ ISO 3200.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2010
    arodney wrote: »
    Not only can you apply this on import as an initial default, you can build a group of settings based on ISO! That is, the ISO detected will apply a different setting which is kind of cool. When you create your LR “default” user presets, you have an option to apply based on ISO. Here’s how from one slide in a Presentation of mine.
    ISO.jpg

That's fantastic! Thank you for laying it out like that--a big help! Greatly appreciate-:)