When You Just Gotta Blow It Out......

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited September 11, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
....you might try this one on. You're looking at a 1967 Bizzarrini P 538.
Only six were made. This is chassis # 002. It is a purpose built car, intended to storm the CanAm and LeMans racing series of the day.
It is powered by a V 12 engine manufactured by Lamborghini and putting out 420 HP. It has a very light-weight fiberglass body. The infamous driver, Mark Donohue, took this beast to a recorded top speed of 250 MPH at the Bridgehampton track.

1001264752_Ms8xV-XL.jpg

795727618_UnT6K-XL.jpg

1001264794_m4A32-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

WOWSER, That would be the thrill of a lifetime to get just a "Ride" in
    something that special.

Great shots, love those Reds!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    Yo Craig,

I'm with you on that one, my friend. I could really get up for a ride in that thing. Notice how centered the driver's position is.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2010
    You can count me in on going for a ride, but not at 250 miles and hour. Mark Donahue, that is a name from 40 or 50 years ago. Nice job, Tom......thumb.gif
    edited September 9, 2010
    I hear you, Gary. I'd probably cry " uncle " at about 245 MPH. 250 MPH just seems too much.:D I think it was about 1975 when Donohue got killed. There's been no all-around equal to him since then.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    I was thinking about this last night while watching a show I'd recorded about building the Veyron. Apparently they won't go any faster than 253 and are using 1 gallon of gas every 3 miles--certainly not as efficient. It seems the Veyron can stop faster than it can accelerate, so for some reason I went back to thinking of the configuration of the headrests (foils/fairing?) on this. Do you think the passenger side is closer to the driver side so their head don't snap off in the vacuum when they lean over and plead with the driver to slow down around 240+ ?

Rambling. Nice shot of an awesome car.
    Anybody can do it.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    It's a Chevy, right? rolleyes1.gif

Gorgeous color red, Tom . . . but you wouldn't catch me in it. I enjoyed my few times driving +100 on the Autobahn but those days are long gone.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    Hmm. It has as much horsepower as my Audi but I'm not sure I could do 250MPH in my Audi lol3.gif

It's a beautiful car and you have some fine shots to show it off thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Beautiful car -- why such short windows?
    Hey Walter,

Thanks for the compliment. You may be on to something about the placement of the passenger seat.:D

Tom
    Hi Lauren,

Good to hear from you. What's amazing to me is that this car was raced over 40 years ago was capable of those kind of speeds.

Take care,

Tom
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate the kind words. I've been a BMW man over the years but I have to hand it to Audi.... they've really come on strong.

Tom
    Hey Mary,

The short windshield and side windows are the result of aerodynamic considerations. By being shorter, they produce much less disturbance to the airflow going over and around the car at high speeds. Yet the design is such that the driver doesn't suffer undue wind-blast.

Take care,

Tom
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for looking in. I appreciate the kind words. I've been a BMW man over the years but I have to hand it to Audi.... they've really come on strong.

Tom

I am surprised. But then purchasing Lambo probably helped a little :)
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Hey Mary,

The short windshield and side windows are the result of aerodynamic considerations. By being shorter, they produce much less disturbance to the airflow going over and around the car at high speeds. Yet the design is such that the driver doesn't suffer undue wind-blast.

Take care,

Tom

Thanks for letting me know this. I would of thought that the short windows wouldn't protect the driver at all. Shows how much I know about aerodynamics rolleyes1.gif
    edited September 11, 2010
    Ian...

Some close " back door " ties with Porsche hasn't hurt Audi either. Since VW got control of Porsche, they now have their sights on Audi. Those guys are geared for battle.....we'll see some interesting cars from those associations.

Tom
    Some close " back door " ties with Porsche hasn't hurt Audi either. Since VW got control of Porsche, they now have their sights on Audi. Those guys are geared for battle.....we'll see some interesting cars from those associations.

The Volkswagen Group is an interesting conglomeration of companies.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    ian408 wrote: »
    The Volkswagen Group is an interesting conglomeration of companies.

Including the 'Bugatti' name (Yes, I'm obsessed).

-
    Anybody can do it.
    Walter...

It's not too difficult to get obsessed with Bugatti's. Their early stuff has long been a favorite of mine. The Veyron....certainly deserving of kudos....is not my cup of tea but you can't help but appreciate the engineering behind it.

Tom