20D Pic Download Problem

nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited August 31, 2005 in Technique
After all the great reviews & comparisons I picked up a 20D -
what a cool camera... except I have this problem.

Using the EOS capture software, camera connected to PC via USB 2.0, I see the images, select all, some or even one and
request the transfer. so far so good...
The trasnfer process usually gets 1 or 2 images and then appears to time out. Error msg = unable to transfer image
(or its equivalent).
Ok, tried the Microsoft image transfer program, and same result. Tried copying the files using Windows Explorer - same result.
It must be me.
Ok, erase all the images, format the card, take more pix and try again. Same results, unable to transger image.

Everything works OK when I use a card reader, -but- why
not when connecting directly from PC to camera...? :dunno

I'm using Win XP Pro and transfering images from a Fuji Fine Pix directly connected works great...

Thanks for any guidance

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 31, 2005
    Lot of people have trouble with the EOS software, unfortunately. Stick with the card reader, much faster in most cases anyway.

ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited August 31, 2005
    That's an odd problem Nosmo ne_nau.gif Like the good Doctor wrote, there have been lots of additional issues reported when connecting via USB instead of using a reader.
    So do we all use readers? Nah......lol

One thing that may help. Canon has released new firmware for the 20D that addresses issues with EOS Capture when trying to upload RAW+jpgs. You can find the update here

Personally, I use Canon's EVU software and the USB port and it seems to work fine. I was never able to recognize RAW files using MS Explorer or even Adobe CS (running Win XP) ne_nau.gif I never tried EOS Capture though rolleyes1.gif

Good luck,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero