The Boulder Colorado wildfire-published by the AP

kkartkkart Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
edited September 12, 2010 in Landscapes
For those of you who have been watching the news, there is a massive wildfire burning above and behind Boulder, Colorado which is burning out of control. And on Monday night myself and one of my friends who is also a shooter decided to go shoot it, from a distance. I mostly used my Tamron 200-400mm lens on my Sony a550 for these shots, and the amount of detail I was able to capture was not only impressive but dang scary too, considering the circumstance surrounding it. I came out, processed a few shots, and threw them up on twitpic (a twitter photo service) and twitter. The next thing I know, everyone is re-tweeting one of my photographs and it goes viral on the internet. best of all, it gets in front of those who matter and I am getting emails from places like the editor of The Huffington Post and The Associated Press asking me to call their photography desk asap.

The photo is now on the AP wire and is currently in use by several news agencies, including Yahoo News, AOL News, several regional and local newspapers, and all over the place. (in fact if anyone happens to see it in use can you link me, as I would like to add it to my portfolio or screen cap it? thanks!)

So I thought that I would go ahead and share these here with you all. The first shot is the shot that went viral and is being published all over the place. Most of these are long exposures around 10-30 seconds a piece. Keep in mind I was roughly 20+ miles away when I shot these with the Tamron lens. There are more on my website at this gallery here http://jdebordphoto.zenfolio.com/fourmile_canyon_wildfire

#1 p105588554.jpg
This is the shot which the AP used

#2 p286040689.jpg

#3 p95430463.jpg

#4 p414750392.jpg
Longs Peak covered in a sky of ash and smoke...kind of made me stop and think when I was shooting this

#5 p343139215.jpg

#6 p911147664.jpg
"Capturing Colorado, one click at a time"
website | photoblog | facebook | twitter | deviantArt | RedBubble

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Amazing captures! Setting the saddness of the events aside, its interesting how something so catastrophic can be so artistically beautiful.

For us newb/amatuers out here, can you describe the relationship/agreement that transpired between you and AP?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • kkartkkart Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    aj986s wrote: »
    Amazing captures! Setting the saddness of the events aside, its interesting how something so catastrophic can be so artistically beautiful.

For us newb/amatuers out here, can you describe the relationship/agreement that transpired between you and AP?

Why thank you :)
    The terms...I had to negotiate pretty hard as I have never been published by the AP before, but seeing as how I make my living with photography, I wasn't exactly ready to give in to their terms of a low ball price for a complete sellout including my © with not even a photo credit. Money is good, but my copyright and a photo credit are more important, which then allows me to make other avenues for income with the images, prints, displayed on my website, etc. So I 'dickered', I didn't get much but I did get what I really wanted with the shots and as the 2 photo editors said, "my foot is now in the door" with them. That is what really counts.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    It's sad to see. I house sat for friends who lived just off Magnolia Road and am pretty familiar with the area.

I hope the best for all of the affected families.

Several good pictures of the scene.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    ian408 wrote: »
    It's sad to see. I house sat for friends who lived just off Magnolia Road and am pretty familiar with the area.

I hope the best for all of the affected families.

Several good pictures of the scene.

It is....it is incredibly sad...just a really beautiful area back there I have shot many times
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    Beautiful shots of a devastating fire. My son lives in Ft. Collins and I had to call him to see how the smoke was in his area.

Happy to hear you got your "foot in the door" thumb.gif
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Beautiful shots of a devastating fire. My son lives in Ft. Collins and I had to call him to see how the smoke was in his area.

Happy to hear you got your "foot in the door" thumb.gif

Thanks! Ya they said that smoke was seen and smelled all the way up to Cheyenne WY
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    Amazing shots! I certainly see why AP wanted to publish you.

I've done multiple searches on Google, Yahoo, and AOL, and couldn't find the pic. Not surprising, though - the massive gas explosion and file in California seems to have blotted the Boulder fire completely out of the news.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    wow... looks like something from Dante's Inferno! the city lights with the fires in the hills behind look like night photos from a war zone, or a disaster movie of some kind... congrats on getting on the news feeds!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    WillCAD wrote: »
    I've done multiple searches on Google, Yahoo, and AOL, and couldn't find the pic. Not surprising, though - the massive gas explosion and file in California seems to have blotted the Boulder fire completely out of the news.

There's not as much smoke here. From roughly SFO south to PAO, there is smoke hugging the coast range. Of course, here in the south bay, there is some amount of smoke (there's a sailor's saying that goes "the gate blows, the valley sucks" to explain why that is). Last night, I could smell the fires. Not so much today and the biggest difference is our fires will likely be out in a day or so--not so sure about even 10% containment in the Fourmile fire.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • nowandthennowandthen Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    Having been up Longs, #4 amazes me. Good job.
    edited September 11, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Amazing shots! I certainly see why AP wanted to publish you.

Thanks!
    Ya that is entirely possible, I did manage to get a bunch of screen caps when it was up though, glad I did!
    nowandthen wrote: »
    Having been up Longs, #4 amazes me. Good job.

Thank you very much
    squirl033 wrote: »
    wow... looks like something from Dante's Inferno! the city lights with the fires in the hills behind look like night photos from a war zone, or a disaster movie of some kind... congrats on getting on the news feeds!

Thanks, we were talking when shooting how the whole scene reminded us of Beirut in the 80s
    ian408 wrote: »
    There's not as much smoke here. From roughly SFO south to PAO, there is smoke hugging the coast range. Of course, here in the south bay, there is some amount of smoke (there's a sailor's saying that goes "the gate blows, the valley sucks" to explain why that is). Last night, I could smell the fires. Not so much today and the biggest difference is our fires will likely be out in a day or so--not so sure about even 10% containment in the Fourmile fire.

Ya this one is pretty bad.....I just hope it is out very soon, it is a shame to see this happen up there, it is such a beautiful area. I am just glad no one has been injured thus far..
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    That is intense, some absolutely incredible photos.