Options

Too many pricing options?

ItchItch Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited September 10, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Group:
I'm at the point of pricing out my web-site and would like some advice. As near as I can tell there are over 300 indvidual pricing fields, three to 4 finishes, 7 major sizes or styles, and 20 plus sizes within each major size or style categories.

I love the VAST array of choices . . . .but as a customer I would think its a bit overwhelming. My though is pick two or three finishes and 3 or 4 sizes and just price those?

What ar eyour thoughts?

-Toto

www.richardcleis.com

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    My thoughts are don't let your customers get into choice paralysis.

What type of photography? What type of client?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    ItchItch Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    My web-site is just for fun. I imagine that the total image count will not exceed 200 -300 images (mostly landscape & birds). I only want to put my best photos on (I've only loaded a handful so far) and would put them on a rotation by replacing the oldest with the newest. My thinking is swing for the stars (pricing). I'd rather sell one 20x30 pic @ $500 than 100 @ $5. Regarding sizing, I was thinking about the common wall hanging sizes. Regarding finishes, I was thinking about Lustre and Metallic only. Somewhere on the ordering page, I would put a caviot about if they would like another size or finish please email me. Playing devils advocate, people like it when it's easy and that email might take too much effort. Further I would miss out if its an impulse purchase?

Another approach could be price everything and then provide step by step instructions on how to limit the choices 1st?

Am I "thinking" too hard??

Thanks for any input you may have for this newbie!!

Rich

www.richardcleis.com

-Toto

www.richardcleis.com
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    I, too, think less is better so I only offer photos in sizes that have the standard 2:3 ratio, and I only offer lustre and metallic prints (and I do offer giclee and metal prints, as well). Even with those parameters, there are still a lot of choices. I'm also rethinking my price structure and I agree one high-end sale is better than a bunch of small ones -- thus, sizes under 8x12 are going to get cut and everything else is going to get a price boost.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com