Comments

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    $2.59 Mon

$2.79 Tue

$2.99 Wed

Saw about 50 cars waiting for $2.79 Costco gas on Wed

Paid $3.19 this morning but saw stations selling gas (read petrol for you aussies) for $3.49

Side note: I had to drive 250 miles to Pittsburgh Tues & returning Thur. I decided to try to make it there and back on one tank of fuel in my '05 Nissan Altima. I usually drive a little faster (okay sometimes more than a little faster), but to maximize my mpg I set my cruise control for 67 mph on the 65 mph PA Turnpike. I was vigilant about staying in the right lane. If I did need to pass a truck on a steeper incline, I would speed up to match the prevailing speed - I tried to not block anyone! I was amazed at the number of times (maybe 10) people - primarily truckers - used their horn on me. One 18 wheel truck used his horn and then nearly ran me off the road when he pulled back in front of me. If I was driving under the speed limit I guess I would understand but . . .

I'm not preaching about slowing down, but wow, I was surprised.

Anyway, I got 32.8 mpg and had a little fuel remaining when I got home. thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    2.92 yesterday

3.09 this morning

MrsIt just called, 3.29 right now, same station.

Yowza! :uhoh
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    But I still cannot fathom what we are paying for gas right now, here in Edmonton where the majority of Canada's gas is refined from Alberta oil

$1.14 per litre cdn. So lets convert that:
    3.5 litres per gallon gives you (1.14 * 3.5) cdn$3.99 (approx) for a US gallon. Then lets put that into US dollars (3.99 *1.18) $4.70 USD/gallon!!!!!!!

ann
    I know what you are saying Ann....but there is a one word answer.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I know what you are saying Ann....but there is a one word answer.
    Absolutely, positively so, gus. No doubt. We ran a gas station for a few years. The 'big oil' policy on pricing was this: Twice daily, check on the competing stations prices. Phone those prices to HO in Toronto. As soon as competitor x put their price up, we were to match. Never lead but always follow.

Big oils other stated truth is that they break even on retail gas. We all know that is bull-oney!

Now, my provincial government is in a huge windfall position right now- absolutely billions of extra dollars coming in from oil royalties. They will not be giving tax breaks to the citizens or to the companies, as that would set a bad precendent - when the world price of oil slides and they need revenue, how could they go back to taxing us to death...nope better to keep taxing us to death right now.

Well, I currently run a business that requires use of heating gas to function. We will probably go bankrupt this winter because we will not be able to pay for natural gas at the rate we will be charged. But there will be no tax breaks, nope, no way. The government will be providing a subsidy for household heating fuel as long as the market price stays above a certain amount for a certain length of time. But businesses do not get that break.

I feel crippling INFLATION on its way, and I am in debt far deeper than I want to think about right now.

:soapbox I'll get down now!!!!!

ann
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2005
    My bike is learning that its not so bad chewing regular as premium is 26c US per US gallon extra here.

Just got to ride it a gear lower to stop it pinging.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    The station that was $4.99 the other day is now $3.19. I wonder if they will receive a fine. The state warned about gouging. I think the market will take care of itself. If they lose the business of their regular customers they have nobody to blame except themselves.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited September 2, 2005
    I pass on gas
    ...er... headscratch.gif perhaps there's a better way of phrasing that.

I use about 12-15 gallons of gas per month and drive a large van. I work from home 2 days a week, and ride my bike the other 3 days some 6 miles away to my other day job, so there's not much, if any, gasoline usage. When I need food or supplies, then I am forced to drive.

Thus, it hasn't impacted me directly that much...yet. However, make no mistake about it, big business will not wait a second to raise their prices on everything to even more rediculous levels, with the excuse that fuel is too expensive. In reality, many businesses will only see a real increase in total expenses due to fuel prices but a fraction of 1% when compared to all their other expenses.

Food will go up, along with all other type of goods. So no matter if you drive a lot, or hardly at all, this will hurt in the wallet. Perhaps it will wake America up that we really do need to think about efficiency more. Habits will change slightly, and those that make the most of it will be rewarded for their efforts.

After 33 years in the cycling industry, I have never rode a bike for transportation until about three weeks ago. Energy savings? That's debatable. I now take two showers per day, I eat more food, and do extra laundry due to sweating my way to and from work. More money is spent as a result. The pros include being healthier (lost 3 pounds so far), and I'm more awake at work and when I get home, and I crave healthier foods.

BTW, about $3.25/gal. as of today.

So... should I drive to Bryce/Zion next year, or fly? (or ride my bike there?)
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2005
    Ours went down to $2.89 today!
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    Just filled up for $2.79 9/10 down at the Costco, no waiting, south Seattle. At a normal station it was about $3. Whatever it is, glad I drive a small vehicle. I recognize that some families and professions have a legitimate need for a large car or truck. No tears for the Escalade and Hummer crowd, though.
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Last I saw it was around $3.40......that was the lowest price.
    Still seems to rise $.10 to $.30 a day sometimes more.

ZERO unnecessary driving for me!!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Paid $1.31 lt for premium yesterday...3.785 lt in US gallon.. $0.756 0z clams to the septic sheckel
    So.............thats equiv to headscratch.gif

ummmmheadscratch.gif

$3.74 USD for a US gallon here.

Oh...& guys..its called 'petrol'

The BBQ uses gas...you fart gas...you fill your balloons with gas...you belch gas.

Lets be consistent we may call it petrol but we also earn and pay for it with australian dollars 1lt at $1.30 = AU$5.90 an imperial gallon. That $5.90 as a % is a bigger wack out of my pay than $3.74 would be for someone living in the U.S..
    Ed
    PS komet asked about you the other day in a PM, you guys got something going on? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2005
    Kalamata wrote:
    Lets be consistent we may call it petrol but we also earn and pay for it with australian dollars 1lt at $1.30 = AU$5.90 an imperial gallon. That $5.90 as a % is a bigger wack out of my pay than $3.74 would be for someone living in the U.S..
    Ed
    PS komet asked about you the other day in a PM, you guys got something going on? mwink.gif
    Mericans measure with a US fluid gallon which is 3.78 lt.

0zzies use the imperial gallon which is 4.54 lt.

Just looked... the last PM between komet & myself dates 1 Dec 2004 headscratch.gif (not that its anyones biz)

You sure you got the right bloke ?
  • Options
    KalamataKalamata Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Mericans measure with a US fluid gallon which is 3.78 lt.

0zzies use the imperial gallon which is 4.54 lt.

Just looked... the last PM between komet & myself dates 1 Dec 2004 headscratch.gif (not that its anyones biz)

You sure you got the right bloke ?

If your name is Mark, komet said in a PM he hadn't seen you on the ADVrider list for 6 months or so.