Options

Digital downloads available immediately?

SquirtSquirt Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
For the first time I offered digital downloads for an engagement session and noticed that when the order was placed that they had immediate access to the digital files. My problem is when I uploaded all the originals the majority of them were unedited because I have a 7-day waiting period for me to look over the order and upload edited high quality jpegs before they go to print. There were over 100 photos for them to proof so there's no way I could edit all those, plus it's unnecessary time wasted when they only ordered six images.

Does that mean they were able to download the digitals unedited? That's kinda freaking me out right now!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Dig downloads are by nature, wanted right away. Your option is to re-edit their choices and either zip & email them or put them in new gallery for download.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    Andy, I remember when Smugmug first had the two features of proof delay and digital downloads together and griped about the fact the digital downloads did not obey the proof delay... ;)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Great! Thanks Andy. Will email them the edited ones right away. And I agree with Bill. Would be nice if they had a delay on digitals also. Makes me have an extra step I don't need to follow thru.
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    I use digital downloads on the off chance that someone might need a photo right away when I'm not around to answer e-mails or otherwise help them. They are also priced rather high, figuring if someone needs something that bad they'll pay a premium dollar for it. Paid off when a company downloaded seven digital files and put a cool $1700 in my pocket. I wouldn't want a proof delay on digital files -- they're available immediately for a reason.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    Squirt wrote: »
    Will email them the edited ones right away. And I agree with Bill. Would be nice if they had a delay on digitals also.

Maybe someday, SM will listen to this, often repeated request. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2010
    I use digital downloads on the off chance that someone might need a photo right away when I'm not around to answer e-mails or otherwise help them. They are also priced rather high, figuring if someone needs something that bad they'll pay a premium dollar for it. Paid off when a company downloaded seven digital files and put a cool $1700 in my pocket. I wouldn't want a proof delay on digital files -- they're available immediately for a reason.

So then you must edit every picture you upload to a gallery? I don't have time to do that when I have hundreds from an engagement shoot. They look pretty good coming out of my camera, but I still want to tweak them to perfection before they go out.
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    I see your point. My site isn't time sensitive, so as I get to photos I do processing and post them. I can see where if you have a time crunch a delay would be desirable.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com
  • Options
    studiomcstudiomc Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2011
    Squirt wrote: »
    Would be nice if they had a delay on digitals also. Makes me have an extra step I don't need to follow thru.

I just wanted to bump this topic up and give my vote for a delay on digital downloads. As a wedding photographer this is pretty much a MUST HAVE.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    studiomc wrote: »
    I just wanted to bump this topic up and give my vote for a delay on digital downloads. As a wedding photographer this is pretty much a MUST HAVE.

Exposure Manager has had this feature since I first went to them way back in 2006. Five years ago SM!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu