Options

Snuff out my candles

2»

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    As far as the lighting goes..it's okay. Nothing wrong with it but nothing really "right" either. Me? I would have brought the umbrella about 6 inches from your face just above eye level. The image is not a sharp as it could be either. Since there is nothing much else to look in the image..it stands out. Self portraits are hard top do though haha
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    Qarik wrote: »
    As far as the lighting goes..it's okay. Nothing wrong with it but nothing really "right" either. Me? I would have brought the umbrella about 6 inches from your face just above eye level. The image is not a sharp as it could be either. Since there is nothing much else to look in the image..it stands out. Self portraits are hard top do though haha

Seriously?
    Six inches?
    I've never thought of putting a flash unit that close to a face.
    Plus, given the nature of self portraits, I'm amazed that it's focused as good as it is :-)
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Seriously?
    Six inches?
    I've never thought of putting a flash unit that close to a face.
    Plus, given the nature of self portraits, I'm amazed that it's focused as good as it is :-)

yup..as close as you can get it with as big an umbrella you can find. Make sure your flash is set to min zoom and is set back far enough to get as much of the umbrella in it's flash "zone". This insures BIG SOFT light.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    Thanks. Its not too even or anything is it? I've seen some other comments for pictures saying that the lighting was too even and the picture was flat.

Not too even. Just right. I don't like the blue background.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    yup..as close as you can get it with as big an umbrella you can find. Make sure your flash is set to min zoom and is set back far enough to get as much of the umbrella in it's flash "zone". This insures BIG SOFT light.

Will have to try that sometime...maybe that's why some companies make these monstrous octagon shaped softboxes?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010

I'll try that. Something should be sharp in the photo but I'm guessing the focus point was around my nose or teeth. Problem was I couldn't get the camera to focus in the dark without the AF assist light and that only works for the central AF point.

Thanks for your suggestions and compliments. I'll try that in the future, especially if I can round up someone else to sit for me!
  • Options
    InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    damonff wrote: »
    Not too even. Just right. I don't like the blue background.

Thanks! Its the best I can do with the green wall behind me. I might look into a white background in the future if they aren't too expensive.