Options

What do you think of this situation ?

DavidoffDavidoff Registered Users Posts: 409 Major grins
edited September 14, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I started doing more fashion work earlier this year, gaining experience, making contacts and I plan on setting up a proper physical portfolio and starting a business. So far I have photographs from 5 ou 6 different models and different shoots. All of them were shot either for free or in a class. I have most of my work on facebook and a while ago I got a message from a girl saying she had worked with a few photographers and wanted to do more and that I should let her know if I needed a model.
Now, on one hand, it's not like I have a huge portfolio and experience. On the other, in order for a shoot to yield useable ( I mean portfolio ) photographs, some money has to be spent. Lighting, stylist, gas, studio rental, food, you understand. What do you think ? Thank her avalibility and let it go, shoot her for free and risk getting so-so results on my investment because I don't know if she's any good or try to work it out with her to share the costs ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    Davidoff wrote: »
    I started doing more fashion work earlier this year, gaining experience, making contacts and I plan on setting up a proper physical portfolio and starting a business. So far I have photographs from 5 ou 6 different models and different shoots. All of them were shot either for free or in a class. I have most of my work on facebook and a while ago I got a message from a girl saying she had worked with a few photographers and wanted to do more and that I should let her know if I needed a model.
    Now, on one hand, it's not like I have a huge portfolio and experience. On the other, in order for a shoot to yield useable ( I mean portfolio ) photographs, some money has to be spent. Lighting, stylist, gas, studio rental, food, you understand. What do you think ? Thank her avalibility and let it go, shoot her for free and risk getting so-so results on my investment because I don't know if she's any good or try to work it out with her to share the costs ?

Thanks !

I say, you haven't given any info about her ."..she's worked with a few photogs"

GO meet, talk with her. Find out if you think she could work the wall like you want her to be able to do. Ask to see her book, but then, I'd say she hasn't got one. Never know though. So assess the gal and then you'll know all you need to know save how the results will look.

As far as financing goes, it's a toss up. personally I prefer to pay if I want something. That way I control the product or end result. I haven't been really impressed with the models I've hired and seen work yet. Most just do what they've always done, which puts me to sleep. A really great model will not do that, She will expect and take direction and be able to have enough presence and ability to produce results.

I am beginning to look at actors for this reason.

Good Luck.

ps: I like you FLICKR photos, but don't see any fashion. and No link to your FB.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2010
    Hello Tom, thanks for the reply.
    Well, I've seen the photos she has on her facebook, and they are pretty bad. Sure, it's the photographer's fault, but I don't know how much of it is actually her fault too. I'm guessing much less.
    Her book is most likely what she has online. What exactly would you try to find out in such a meeting ?
    I see what you mean, but having shot both, I say it really depends on what you want to shoot. For fashion, it's unlikely that an actress will out perform a serious model. They know what looks good and are generaly more confortable from the beginning.
    If you need the person to show some particular emotion, then the actor gets the edge of course.
    You're right, I haven't updated my flickr in months. My facebook is David Dinis, http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=669140550
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Davidoff wrote: »
    Sure, it's the photographer's fault, but I don't know how much of it is actually her fault too. I'm guessing much less.
    Her book is most likely what she has online. What exactly would you try to find out in such a meeting ?
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=669140550

Without seeing the photos, I couldn't say who's 'fault' they are, but it does take two to tango!

What I'd ask:

1. Is FB the only photos you have? Or do you have a book?

2. DO you have any formal training?

3. What is it you're trying to accomplish by modeling?

4. DO you practice?

5. What kinds of shoots get you excited?

How's that for starters?

I think once you meet her, you'll be able to tell whether she's worth paying or the other way round, or even if she's worth taking photos of.

Good Luck!
    tom wise
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    I would separate your decision to enter fashion photography from this opportunity with the maybe model.

You need to think about your entry point into the business. Which customer do you have in mind and what are they looking for? Your portfolio has to fit their expectations and their market - people selling socks usually have different needs than people selling haute couture. Sometimes it is important to show you can work with well known faces, or feet. People prefer to work with people they know, so when she is able to open doors for you with clients you want to work with.... and vice-versa.

She should have the same business concerns. When she is included in the portfolio of a top photographer she has a better chance of work, but she will have to pay for the privilege unless she is stunningly something - maybe she has nice hands, or a list of clients obsessed by her. Two wannabees teaming up for a new market sounds more like two holes in the same boat.

I would be focussing more on my business goals. If this girl fits then well and good; maybe you even get your portfolio on the cheap but this should not be driving your decision.
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2010
    Thank you Angevin and Christopher. Turns out she's not from the same city as me and even if she would travel, I guess I prefer models that leave nearby, at least for now. However, I kept her contact, may be needed.
    Christopher, would you mind adding me on facebook ? Or if you don't use it I could mail you my portfolio. I'd love to read what you think and any other business pointers you may have. This offer is open to everyone of course :)