Everything old is new again

mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
edited November 9, 2010 in Cameras
The latest camera hardware craze sweeping the nation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvu2QPQLlYA

Ughhh.....
:huh

And in case you're not a fan of Vivitar, you can also go for the Kodak instead...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVveWhy8iR4

:cry

Comments

• MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    I was at Walgreen's the other day and the over-head advertisement said something like, "you know that you can depend on Walgreen's for high quality digital prints, but did you know that Walgreen's also processes film as well? So if you still dabble in film...". I love progress.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    I think it's a last-ditch effort to try to re-energize the dying film market, but most people really do like the instant gratification that digital offers. I think there's little to no real chance for a resurgence of film.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    They are trying to target a niche market who might still want a film camera. Typical old person, my grandpap, who still uses a console TV, rotary telephone, record player, criticize people for wearing bluejeans and women for showing anything bellow the neck... a computer dosnt make any sense to him, or anything digital, let alone a digital camera. This is the case for many older people who simply never progressed from the analog world into the digital age.
    Todd - My Photos
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    racer wrote: »
    They are trying to target a niche market who might still want a film camera. Typical old person, my grandpap, who still uses a console TV, rotary telephone, record player, criticize people for wearing bluejeans and women for showing anything bellow the neck... a computer dosnt make any sense to him, or anything digital, let alone a digital camera. This is the case for many older people who simply never progressed from the analog world into the digital age.

Yeah, I have a friend who never uses his bank account for anything - every Friday when he gets paid, he cashes his paycheck and pays everything in cash, or buys money orders for the bills he has to mail in, like car payment and utilities.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    Now guys, don't lose sight of the fact that other guys in that generation are the ones that created the electronic-digital-tv-video-/games-internet age, along with the medical stuff that might be keeping us alive longer, our airplanes and space vehicles, etc, etc, right up to the styles of music we channel for our ears today. You can too easily confuse "use-consumption" with being à la moment. While younger generations make up the bulk of users and consumers of technology, the vast majority of them are utterly disconnected from the sciences and development involved. It is the older generations still who are shaping the world the kids now live in eg iPhone/iPad, not the reverse! Think about it!deal.gif

Re film, I think it's unlikely to re-emerge as a mass habit, mainly because of the unwieldiness, time and expense, but I think it will continue to grow as an art form.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    Its hard as hell to get film developed in Minneapolis, and I live in a part of town populated with hipsters. You'd think you could get film developed somewhere around here. ne_nau.gif
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Wow, I think I found my next camera!
  • waygard33waygard33 Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Wow, I think I found my next camera!
    wings.gifNext 2 cameras if you act now! deal.gif
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    We'll be renting them soon :D
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • CSGCSG Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 14, 2010
    Film has become jazz. Small but diehard audience and a product of college programs.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    good time to sell off my 10+ film cameras. Anyone who wants it, please let me know.

My friends passed those old cameras to me and choking my dry box for years. Since the Digital one available, no one wants the old films. I had few big boxes of old prints and scanned into digital and save in the harddisk. Developing and printing film is not green, it processes a lot of chemicals and kill the trees.

Recently my daughter bought the Polariod type instant sticker digital camera, it was quite fun.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • msfmsf Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    Im surprised they are not trying to make a hybrid camera, both film and digital. digital so ou can see how it looks and film for the printing.

I use to see digital cameras at yard sales, but I havent for the last couple of years, bit strange. I have seen a ton of film camera's though, even a couple slr's.
    WillCAD wrote: »
    Yeah, I have a friend who never uses his bank account for anything - every Friday when he gets paid, he cashes his paycheck and pays everything in cash, or buys money orders for the bills he has to mail in, like car payment and utilities.

Good situation to be in, doesnt spend more than he has, no debt.
    msf wrote: »

True, but he also has major trouble when trying to buy things online or travelling.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    msf wrote: »

totally off topic, but its just itching at me to point out that he makes a car payment deal.gif I do like your theory though :D
    Todd - My Photos
    racer wrote: »
    totally off topic, but its just itching at me to point out that he makes a car payment deal.gif I do like your theory though :D

Well I mostly meant credit cards, etc.
    edited September 18, 2010
    My buddy was also very slow to make the switch to digital, but mostly because in the early days, digital just didn't have the dynamic range of film. Technically speaking, it still doesn't. But my buddy waited until the 20D came out before making the digital plunge, and continued to shoot film for several years afterward. He only recently sold his medium format outfit - seemed like a good time, while it still had SOME value - and used the proceeds to buy a 5Dmk2.

No matter what the advantages of film might be, I think it's safe to say that film is now a niche market. For mainstream photography, both pro and amateur, film is now relegated to a small minority who prefer the film look, or who like the challenge of using film, much like woodworking with hand tools is now done only the realm of the hobbyist, and manual transmissions can rarely be found outside of a race car. I don't think film will ever die completely; as in woodworking, there will always be those who want to use film just for the sake of doing things the way they were done in the past. But the days when film WAS photography are done.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    Its hard as hell to get film developed in Minneapolis, and I live in a part of town populated with hipsters. You'd think you could get film developed somewhere around here. ne_nau.gif

Especially since urban outfitters sells Holga's........for 50 dollars eek7.gif
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    And to think I just picked up a RF and started shooting film. I actually enjoy the process as it's slowed me down and makes me think about the shot, rather than just machine gunning the shutter and wondering if I got the shot then fixing it in post.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • KevMoeKevMoe Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2010
    My biggest problem with a 100% switch to digital has been my inability to recreate the noiseless color of night shots with my D300. I understand software like Noise Ninja will help to alleviate this problem, but I still prefer to break out the old equipment to generate the breathtaking night scenes in the city.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited November 9, 2010
    If you use a low ISO, ISO 200 on a D300, and if you enable long exposure noise reduction, and if you nail the exposure, you should achieve very clean images that are better than film in many ways.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    WillCAD wrote: »
    My buddy was also very slow to make the switch to digital, but mostly because in the early days, digital just didn't have the dynamic range of film. Technically speaking, it still doesn't.

Digital has surpassed 35mm film in every single regard including dynamic range.

ISO 100 film:
    film_tree_small.jpg

100% crop from a 5400x3600 scan:
    film_tree_crop1.jpg

5DII:
    dig_tree_crop1.JPG

The only case left for using 35mm is you just like the look of it. Which is valid, there are some shots I'm very glad to have on film...

949799528_oG6Z6-L-1.jpg

943900594_CTuq5-L.jpg

1036649019_rksjC-L.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2010
    Hey, that Vivitar camera is full frame! :D
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.