Semiahmoo at night

dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited September 19, 2010 in Landscapes
Taken last night at Semiahmoo State Park, WA. Same comp but different DOF and shutterspeeds. Thoughts and preferences?

thx.

Comments

• Merlin_AZMerlin_AZ Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2010
    I like the first one better-I think the background adds to the photo.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 10, 2010
    I like the second because it emphasizes the tree. The background isn't lost either. That's a nice effect.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    I like the background trees not being out of focus as in #1 but prefer the detail in the clouds from #2. :D
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    Thwack wrote: »
    I like the background trees not being out of focus as in #1 but prefer the detail in the clouds from #2. :D

I'm the opposite, I like the narrow DOF, but like the cloud motion!

Isn't it great when you ask for feedback and everyone disagrees on their favorite? :D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    First one all the way. Love the crispness of the overall shot, and the colors are unreal. The second shot hurts my eyes wandering around trying to pick details out of all the blurriness.
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    I'm torn... like the focus in the first.... but number two makes me dizzy! Laughing.gif I guess I'll go with number 1... because overall its better and I won't pass out.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    #1 for me--I also felt a bit of a dizzying effect with the narrow DOF in #2. The tree makes a nice foreground subject in both, but I prefer the lighting it has in #1. Nice find!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2010
    Definitely #1.

Is that a telephone pole or wooden cross in the photo? I keep focusing on it. Can you take it out? (of the photo I mean :D)
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 14, 2010
    #1 for sure. Love the blurred clouds. Beautiful light! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2010
    Thanks for the input! Good to know that I am not totally nuts for being waffly on which one I like. When I first looked at it initially, I liked the second (clouds, punchy tree), but the first one with its streaky clouds grew on me quite a bit and might even be partial to it now. And yeah, will likely clone out the telephone pole in the near future, given that I do not own a chainsaw lol3.gif.
  • ToonartistToonartist Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2010
    I really like #1 but I like the clouds in #2.... first one has it overall though.
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    First one all the way. Love the crispness of the overall shot, and the colors are unreal. The second shot hurts my eyes wandering around trying to pick details out of all the blurriness.

I am with kdog. I prefer the first one because of the detail in the background. Because the stump is in your face enough, the detail in the background doesn't distract the eye too much.

Just my opinion.. ne_nau.gif
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2010
    I like them both, but #2 is a clear winner with me.

I can't really give a reason, but I like the narrow DOF better. It's an emotional reaction with no real reason behind it; I simply like the way that the blurred background brings the stump into sharp focus and immediately draws my eye to it. That's one I'd hang on my wall.

Of course, the incredible color palettes in the sky and the trees really make both shots.

Can you give me some shooting info? I.E. shutter speed, focal length, your actual distance to the stump, whatever you might have? I'd like to try a shot like this myself sometime.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"