Options

Brenna and Don

mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited September 15, 2010 in Weddings
This is actually a renewal. They were married a few months ago at a private ceremony. It was no different than a regular wedding however. Here are a few of my faves. Ross shot 2nd on this one with me and I'll let him post some of his if he wants. C&C welcomed and appreciated.

1001039003_PjDqU-XL-1.jpg

1001051397_Me6h8-XL-1.jpg

1001057460_to5wA-L-1.jpg

1001117647_PRwbW-L-1.jpg

1001289654_YQE5i-L-1.jpg

1001303951_mPCpa-L-1.jpg

1001313425_tNTHP-L-1.jpg

1001321980_tckoy-L-1.jpg

1001330134_qJHUj-L-1.jpg

1001334839_xdNYL-XL-2.jpg

1001341071_fKCzT-XL-1.jpg

1001386591_sVdcp-XL-1.jpg

1001430367_AbZNb-L-1.jpg

1001434748_3BkWF-XL-1.jpg

1001538561_Xwqa4-XL-1.jpg

1001559888_uaPUH-XL-1.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Matt
My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes

Comments

• Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2010
    Very nice series Matt.

I really like the moments captured in #'s 5, 8 (my favorite of the set) and 13. I also like the ring shot #15, good creative use of the cork.

Not crazy about #2, I don't know if its the dated look of the PP or just her not looking very happy that makes the PP not work for me.

The only other minor thing is that I might have switched the PP on 10 & 11. I think 10 would be a great shot in B&W
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    AshleybAshleyb Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    These are great Matt!

If you dont mind me asking, what was your settings for #4? Dont get me wrong my church photos turn out, but I really like the mix you got here. I usually find my ap. is usually to large or almost to small but workable and I am looking for that happy medium.

Ross told me about those crazy mirrors, looks like you really worked with them though. The photos are beautiful!
  • Options
    trevorbtrevorb Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    Really like #1 and #9 beautiful set.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2010
    Nice photos. May I ad my mustard (as we say in Switzerland :D)?

1) Nice catch, but I'd clone out the lines under her eyes
    2) She's beautiful, but seems to be a bit in a loss with her hands. No bouquet in sight?
    4) Pretty, pretty
    6/7) Cute
    8) Adorable. iloveyou.gif
    9) Nice detail shot!
    10) Beautiful also, but nooo bouquet?? :cry How about the cuddle up a bit more and he putts his hands around her? How a bit of a stronger vignette, esp in the bottom right corner. .... :D
    11) Cute
    12) A bit out of focus?
    13) Very cute
    14) Good eye!

HA! guess I think they're a really cute couple rolleyes1.gif She's beautiful, one for the books! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    Wow! Lots of responses! Thanks guys.

Jeff,
    First off #2. This is not a typical PP style for me but because she looks so distant, uncomfortable and melancholy it seemed to fit. There is a cross coming out of her head, the end of her dress is out of the frame as is the far side of the fireplace mantle. I looked at this one and at first I saw my amateurish side popping up it's head, then suddenly it reminded me of an old wedding photo and I processed it to look that way. I didn't expect it would be everyone's cup of tea but it is one of my faves from the day! As for the b&w pp suggestions, I typically shoot many versions of the same shot and if there are a few that I like I do different forms of processing on them as an excuse to deliver them all without redundancy. There were probably 20 usable shots from that ledge and probably 5 made it to the final gallery. Some of those are b&w.

1000957097_kU3Eh-L-1.jpg

As for 5 and 8 I agree with you... doing the posed stuff and the archival stuff is great and important, but at the end of the day, the shots that catch unobstructed emotion are the ones I cherish.

Ashley... repeat after me "I'm going to go out and buy a 135 f2L" This was shot with 5d mkii, 135 f2L, f2, 1/200th, iso 1600. The thing that you are probably seeing however is the bounce flash. I am bouncing from a shoe mounted flash to the left wall of the church. there was plenty of light in the church for shooting ambient, but a little kiss of bounced flash gives some direction to the light and melts the light temps together somewhat for more consistent skin tones. I will preach my side wall bounce technique all day if you'll let me!!! Also, fast telephotos have very narro depth of field so if you are filling a frame like this at f2 you need to be sure you are focused right on the face/eye and are perpendicular to the couple... there is maybe an inch of depth that can achieve proper focus. Either use a selected focal point or focus and recompose. f&r at f2 is tough unless you are only moving your camera a tiny bit on the r. I'm pretty sure this was f&r but I often use the outside focal points in these cases too.

Trevor, thanks buddy. I like those as well. 9 is a bread and butter e-shoot snap for me. Almost to the point that I don't want to shoot that shot at all, but everyone loves that shot so I do it a lot! It can't ALL be about me, right?

Ang, I love ya! Thanks for taking the time!!!

I have a problem cloning out facial expressions or things that show emotion. If it was a zit I would take it out, but I feel the lines under her eyes show her nervousness and proof that she was stressing hard the night before. There are plenty of shots where she looks pretty, but this one is showing her emotion and condition before she took the walk. Not offended that you would suggest that, but some insight as to why I didn't consider it.

2 was a quick last minute request by the bride. I love that she looks uncomfortable and improperly posed. I'm going with a happy accident on that one!!! 10 I agree about his hands... actually I was broken hearted when I looked at them and never caught the fact that his hand was at his side. Stupid stupid me!! I would have LOVED that series if not for that. I like but don't love. Not sure I agree with the vignette but I may try both ways to see if I can understand what you are looking for there... most likely a good suggestion. In my defense on #10, this was about 2 minutes after I smashed my 24-70 f2.8L. I set my camera down with my external flash batt attached to both the flash and my belt and then walked a few feet away and draged it all down a concrete step. Busted the mount off the lens and scratched the rear element! AAAAAHHHHGGGGG! My backup is a Tamron that I don't care for so I just left that in the bag and shot the rest of the shoot with the 70-200. I'm claiming distraught!!

Thanks so much for all the comments and kind words folks... I really appreciate it!!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    mmmatt wrote: »
    ...I set my camera down with my external flash batt attached to both the flash and my belt and then walked a few feet away and draged it all down a concrete step. Busted the mount off the lens and scratched the rear element!
    Cords and straps are the devil, that's why I don't use them. A hand strap is all you should need. Unless I'm the paparazzi, I see no need for my on-camera flash to have a battery; I'd much rather just swap out AA's when convenient. Battery packs are for remote flashes, IMO. For some shooters this might be a great length to go to just to avoid a cord, but I simply hate cords etc. THAT much...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    Ashley... repeat after me "I'm going to go out and buy a 135 f2L"
    Matt

headscratch.gif I don't think that 135L is going to fit on her D300! mwink.gif
    (If it did, I might have one of my own!) However, I'd gladly take the new Nikon 85 f/1.4 instead!
    ... about 2 minutes after I smashed my 24-70 f2.8L. I set my camera down with my external flash batt attached to both the flash and my belt and then walked a few feet away and draged it all down a concrete step. Busted the mount off the lens and scratched the rear element! AAAAAHHHHGGGGG!
    Matt

I can totally vouch for this. I couldn't help but feel awful too - and not just because I shoot Nikon!
    Matt, you need a picture of that lens - when the "Peripheral Damage" topic is comes up for WCC, you'd be a lock to win!
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2010
    Wow, sorry about your lens! These are some beautiful shots, my fav is #9.
  • Options
    Cords and straps are the devil, that's why I don't use them. A hand strap is all you should need. Unless I'm the paparazzi, I see no need for my on-camera flash to have a battery; I'd much rather just swap out AA's when convenient. Battery packs are for remote flashes, IMO. For some shooters this might be a great length to go to just to avoid a cord, but I simply hate cords etc. THAT much...

=Matt=

Alright Mr. Ambient giving out flash advice mwink.gif... I don't typically use the external for outside, but inside because of bouncing everything I go through lots of batteries... 30 per gig or so. Changing 4 at a time in the flash is very difficult when I am draining them so quickly. This was outside for a quick formal session and was a stupid mistake, and I paid for it! I've never done it before but I have almost done it before. Doubt I will do it again.

As for the lens it is fine and perfect again. I sent to Canon in NJ that Monday and they had it back to me the following Monday like new. The serial number is different so I think they just replaced it. Lens is 4 years old. $185 shipped. Gotta love Canon. I never took a busted picture though Ross. Maybe you did on site? Or the terror on my face? ha!

I also sent my 4 yr old 5d classic in for the mirror recall and they reinforced the mirror per the recall but also replaced the focus screen, repaired the hotshoe, adjusted exposure and focus, cleaned the c-mos, and checked all factory specs. Plus did a shutter count for me. Cost to me including shipping to them and overnight fededx back to me was $0. I asked for the recall repair, shutter count, and to double check the auto focus which I thought was a tiny bit off, but they went the extra mile for me!! I LOVE Canon service!!!

Thanks guys!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    As for the lens it is fine and perfect again. I sent to Canon in NJ that Monday and they had it back to me the following Monday like new. The serial number is different so I think they just replaced it. Lens is 4 years old. $185 shipped. Gotta love Canon. I never took a busted picture though Ross. Maybe you did on site? Or the terror on my face? ha!

I also sent my 4 yr old 5d classic in for the mirror recall and they reinforced the mirror per the recall but also replaced the focus screen, repaired the hotshoe, adjusted exposure and focus, cleaned the c-mos, and checked all factory specs. Plus did a shutter count for me. Cost to me including shipping to them and overnight fededx back to me was $0. I asked for the recall repair, shutter count, and to double check the auto focus which I thought was a tiny bit off, but they went the extra mile for me!! I LOVE Canon service!!!

Thanks guys!

Matt

Wow - that is impressive service. For all they did for you, it might be worth busting up a lens every couple of years just for cleaning and preventative maintenance!

I never thought of taking a shot of the damage. I figure that would just be too cruel - much like laughing at a little kid who just dropped his ice cream cone in the dirt.
    Glad to hear your back clicking on all cylinders again.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    Wwwait! I missed a MmmMatt post!

Love the ring shot... and the ceremony shot... and the dancing shot... and... and... and... Nice work.

#8 is really nice! Love the scrunched up nose...
  • Options
    Wwwait! I missed a MmmMatt post!

Love the ring shot... and the ceremony shot... and the dancing shot... and... and... and... Nice work.

#8 is really nice! Love the scrunched up nose...

That was a close one, huh!

Thanks Heather

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2010
    This is a reason why I would get you to be one of my photographers for my wedding if I went back in time. I agree with #2 being an old time picture. They never look happy and didn't smile so the pp works. She reminds me of an old porcelain doll. 7, 8 and 9 are my favorites, the only thing that kinda bothers me is the dark area on the left side of 7. Maybe is a really close tree branch? I still like it though. What an adorable couple. They actually remind me of the movie The Notebook, especially number 8. And you can just feel the love there.
  • Options
    edited September 15, 2010
    kyeezie wrote: »
    This is a reason why I would get you to be one of my photographers for my wedding if I went back in time. I agree with #2 being an old time picture. They never look happy and didn't smile so the pp works. She reminds me of an old porcelain doll. 7, 8 and 9 are my favorites, the only thing that kinda bothers me is the dark area on the left side of 7. Maybe is a really close tree branch? I still like it though. What an adorable couple. They actually remind me of the movie The Notebook, especially number 8. And you can just feel the love there.

Wow! can't get much better compliment than that! Thanks so much! The branch in 7 was meant to be foreground blur. I agree it isn't as good as leaves or any semitransparent/thin objects that I normally use. Keep in mind the 24-70 was smashed and in my pocket at this time and my feet were in the garden with my butt against the church trying to get as wide of a shot as I could at 70mm.

matt
    My Smugmug site